How long to strip donor?

winddude

Did most of you strip the donor before or after your chassis arrived?

And how long did you take to strip and prep the donor parts? Man hours and total time span.

I'm at least 3 months out for my frame, and it's much easier to move a running donor than a pile of parts.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Before. Both of them.

The first one, three months. But I am a Monday-Friday, 8-5 IT worker with no wrenching experience. The second one took less than a month.

Neither of my donors were capable of moving, so I feel you on the last item.

winddude

Yea, I get that, I'm weekend warrior as well, also in IT, and I have another non-moving project, a manx clone, in the way. :oops: Thanks.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’m a weekend warrior and in IT, took me 2 weekends to strip the donor completely. It comes apart fairly quickly and easily with the right tools. Cordless impact works wonders for almost everything except the large nuts. Need a 1/2” breaker bar for those. The amount of time it takes to strip things really depends on how fast you wanna work and how long you can work without interruption.

In total, I’d say 16-24 hours to fully strip the car so long as there’s no rusted out bolts requiring cutting.

Prep time I have about 12 hours there as I took a wire brush to my donor parts after a degreasing and then hung for paint (spray paint cans go quick, waiting time takes longer). Add another 2 hours for degreasing the engine hanging from the shop crane.

Wire harness I procrastinated on hard. Took about a month in total working on it for an hour here and there. Figure each 8 minute video takes about 2 hours worth of work, 11 videos in total (not all are 8 minutes), figure 18-20 hours on the harness.

Northshoresaint

I stripped the donor before receiving the frame. I’m prepping each part as it goes on the frame. It‘s not the most efficient way to build the car, but I’m enjoying the process and not in a rush to get it done.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I bought my donor a week before I visited DF and a week later ordered my frame. As r3drckt said the strip down goes fast, I would agree with the two weekend time frame to get it done. I have done all the prep on the donor parts so all I need to worry about is assembling the kit that is finally arriving today! The wiring harness took me a week solid of 8-10 hr days to complete. You will have plenty of time to get all the prep work done..... I had 18 weeks.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
3 weekends to strip the donor, get parts lined up to sell off. By the 4th weekend had 85% of my parts sold and got the carcass out of the garage and off to the great boneyard in the sky. This was accomplished several months before the kit arrived and gave me plenty of time for prep work. :)