[How To Install] VXDIAG - The poor man's Tech2

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I noticed there wasn't a straight up how-to on the VXDIAG Tech2 tool, so I wanted to make a write up so no one else got confused on the installation. I hope this helps.

Those of you who have potentiometers for pedal sensors will need to do a clutch-relearn should you replace that sensor. That's what I needed it for. This is supposed to do just about everything a Tech2 can do, but not cost a billion doll hairs.

For just over 100$ with taxes, I bought this VXDIAG from Amazon. It came with the tool and a white disc with a bunch of files/folders on it.

It has instructions, but all of the files on the disk are useless, so you have to download updated versions of them elsewhere. vxdiagshop.com has them as well as allscanner.com has the latest VxManager. I could not get it to work without updating every piece. It's all free so it was mostly just frustrating because the online instructions are crap.

Requirements:
  • VXDIAG VCX Nano for GDS2 (such as the one linked above)
  • 32 bit non-VM Computer (Apparently these won't work on VMs, although I have not tried that)
  • VMWarePlayer 6 (32bit), Tech2Win, GDS2, VXManager software's latest versions all available here (go to GM section down the page)
Installation Steps: Do not plug in the device until told to do so

The order of installation is important.

1) Install VMWare-Player 6.0 (32bit version) but do not open it.
* I'm not 100% sure this is necessary, but various other installation write-ups say to use it. I haven't tried without it.

2) Install Tech2Win

3) Install GSD2

4) Install VX Manager
Select Passthru & GM-GDS when promoted​

5) Plug In Device, let it load drivers (it may take a while) and make sure it loads in to USB Serial Port COM4 with Device Manager after the driver finding part is done.

6) Run VxManager, update your devices firmware and licenses one after another.

7) Run Tech2Win and select "NORTH AMERICAN"

8) You should be prompted to select a device, select the top one (without a 2 in it)

9) If all went well, you should then be prompted to select another device, it should say your USB device. If this shows up, your MDI Candi module is all good.

When it's ll connected, Tech2 prompts you for a Product Line Code after selecting a few vehicle options. I'm not sure about every year, but the Product Line for my 09 SS/TC was "A" You may have to test other letters or see if one corresponds do your VIN #'s 3rd or 4th letter character.

Last edited:

Kenny123

Dude you are the man! When I was taking my clutch position sensor and my brake position sensor off the crappy little bolt broke. I ended up ordering both new sensors and calling it what it is. Now I will need to do what you did and see how it goes. Thank you for the info bro.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Solid guide, thanks for posting it.

I may attempt to get it working in a 32-bit VM. That would be helpful to all, as actual 32-bit Windows installations are becoming more scarce as time passes.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I never completely understood what this is running. It software that has to be running on a virtual machine? So do you have to install like VMWare or something?

Goblin Guru
Just the opposite, they're saying it WON'T run on a virtual machine. I'm pretty sure it could be made to work. The problem is, any laptop purchased in the last two years is more than likely running a 64-bit version of Windows, which the driver is not written for and thus, will not work with.

You'd want to use something like Oracle's VirtualBox, it's free and doesn't run as the underlying operating system like VMWare ESXi does.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
What all abilities does it give you? At least an idea, you don't have to list everything. Screenshots?
It emulates a Tech2. There's one programming thing you can't do but it only requires a 40$ all data subscription I think.

I had to order a new power cable and battery for my 10 year old laptop because they were rubbish, they arrive tomorrow. I'll try to get screenshots when I play with it.

I can't remember what/why it said don't use a 64bit VM running 32bit windows, but I vaguely remember that it's unhappy in a VM however @Brian74 may have an opinion on that. He's the one who got me onto this tool and I think he's running dual boot but not VM.

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I am still curious what your plans are with this- what are you going to use it for?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I need it to relearn my clutch, as first the post says somewhere inside if you have the later model SS with the potentiometer style sensor you have to relearn if you replace it

It's basically a big boys code reader, but you HAVE to do this if you have a late model SS with the special swing arm brake and clutch sensors.

The other option is to take it to GM and have them do it (and pay for it) or this means you can do it yourself and other things too. It emulates a dealers tool.

Goblin Guru
West, please let us know if you're able to use this tool to disable evap codes and whatnot. I'd like to be able to eliminate my CEL without a layer of electrical tape! :O

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I'll poke around but I wouldn't hold my breath. I imagine it could clear them but they'd just come back up immediately. Maybe we'd need to devise a lil resistor plug cap thing to stick in and simulate the expected results?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Ark, you can disable those check engine codes in HP Tuners, but it does cost 3x as much as a VXDiag tool.

Goblin Guru
I thought that was not an option with late-model SS's? If I'm mistaken, then I'll definitely consider it.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
You can also get rid of the pesky 'Service Tire Pressure' message by lowering the pressure threshold which is key when you're running 20psi .... it's the small things in life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WYGoblin

I thought that was not an option with late-model SS's? If I'm mistaken, then I'll definitely consider it.
I have an 2008 so donor and I just disabled a bunch of evap and o2 codes with hp tuners. I think the only thing is you cannot disable the vats on the 08 and up

Anks329

Does this tool let you read the current odometer reading? Does it provide “live” info, like speed, rpm, etc? Trying to see if I can use this as the basis of my new electronic dash.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I'm not certain about miles but It can read vehicle sensors like speed, but I would not use it like that. You're better off with a dedicated tool like that torque app or whatever. This tool is not meant to be used like that. It's a service tool and it runs off software made in the 1800's.

Anks329

I'm not certain about miles but It can read vehicle sensors like speed, but I would not use it like that. You're better off with a dedicated tool like that torque app or whatever. This tool is not meant to be used like that. It's a service tool and it runs off software made in the 1800's.
I agree, I've got Torque pro already, but I haven't been able to locate the correct PID to display the current mileage through the app.