[How To Install] VXDIAG - The poor man's Tech2

Ross

Goblin Guru
HP Tuners has free software... VCM Scanner has a dash gauge mode that you can download and play with for free.
One issue with this method is on start up. The tablet/PC has to boot up, VCM Scanner has to load, then you get your oil pressure, etc.
The other thing I find difficult is finding a good screen, because they can be hard to see when there is too much sunlight.

I think HP Tuners won't run on Windows S mode, which most tablets run... check their website, but I think that is correct.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I agree, I've got Torque pro already, but I haven't been able to locate the correct PID to display the current mileage through the app.
I have sent a few folks with Torque and I really like the possibilities. Hope you figure it out. It's new stuff.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
It emulates a Tech2. There's one programming thing you can't do but it only requires a 40$ all data subscription I think.

I had to order a new power cable and battery for my 10 year old laptop because they were rubbish, they arrive tomorrow. I'll try to get screenshots when I play with it.

I can't remember what/why it said don't use a 64bit VM running 32bit windows, but I vaguely remember that it's unhappy in a VM however @Brian74 may have an opinion on that. He's the one who got me onto this tool and I think he's running dual boot but not VM.
I never noticed this thread. You do not need VM ware if you are running a 32 bit version of Windows 7. You can simply take a laptop and partition a piece of your hard drive or add a new drive and install Windows 7 32 on it. Just dont go online so it wont make you registster the OS.

In fact I'd definitely not run this on a computer that you regularly use online (with VMware) because it is quite possibly pirated software from China and there is no telling what other **** that could be executing in the background once you run any of the .exe files.

I just remember it taking a little trial and error to run properly and I had to get current drivers from the Bosch website.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Does this tool let you read the current odometer reading? Does it provide “live” info, like speed, rpm, etc? Trying to see if I can use this as the basis of my new electronic dash.

Its the exact GM scan tool that the dealership techs use.

Anks329

I got this set up tonight and was able to connect to the car without issues. Thanks for the detailed steps!

Navigating the program is pain, anyone have a guide with info on the tool works? Specifically looking to grab mileage information from the bcm through this tool.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Navigating it is a PITA, don't think I've seen mileage. Do me a favor and see if you can go in to the ABS section and load it up, mine always says it loses connection (I've tried on two goblins) and I wanna know if it's me or not.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Navigating it is a PITA, don't think I've seen mileage. Do me a favor and see if you can go in to the ABS section and load it up, mine always says it loses connection (I've tried on two goblins) and I wanna know if it's me or not.
With the ABS module being gone from the bus, its probably hitting some sort of error causing it to back out.

Anks329

My donor didn't have ABS originally, so I don't think I'll be able to see any of that information.