HP Tune files

ccannx

Goblin Guru
There are enough of us on here that use HP Tuners so I figured why not share a few of the files for comparison. I'm not suggesting that these files are the fix for your specific issues, but you can use them for comparison sake. Use at your own risk.

1. This first one is (as I am told) a 07 Stock LSJ tune (07 LSJ Stock.hpt)
  2. 07 LSJ GM Stage 2
  3. Bone stock
  4. My Original tune file from ZZP with 60lbs injectors.
My ECU has been trifecta tuned and I got a spare ECU from Ebay with the vin programmed I want to switch the old ECU out but I have a 2.9 pulley and 60lb injectors on the car and don't want to lean it out with the stock tune thats on the new ECU. Is the original tune file you shared in your original post with the 2.9 pulley also or is it with the stock pulley ?

There is a tune in the HPT repository thats similar but on a 2.8 pulley also the one shared has cam,springs, pistons and rods.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My ECU has been trifecta tuned and I got a spare ECU from Ebay with the vin programmed I want to switch the old ECU out but I have a 2.9 pulley and 60lb injectors on the car and don't want to lean it out with the stock tune thats on the new ECU. Is the original tune file you shared in your original post with the 2.9 pulley also or is it with the stock pulley ?

There is a tune in the HPT repository thats similar but on a 2.8 pulley also the one shared has cam,springs, pistons and rods.
The donor come with that tune on it and at that time had the factory pulley with 60# injectors. I was not real crazy about that tune. I assume it's the vanilla tune ZZP uses for Stage 1. I have HP Tuners now and have been slowly changing the tune. This winter I changing over to a boost reference fuel pressure system for easier tuning with the larger injectors.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
The donor I have also came with 60lb injectors and a trifecta tune which is unfortunate because I splurged and got HPtuners pro, wideband and 2 credits and i can't even pull the file. To top it off the trifecta tune is absolutely terrible it drives like im learning to drive a clutch all over again. Maybe I can take that tune and add fuel everywhere as a baseline so I can at least start MAF tuning and pulling logs. I have a 3.1 pulley and a 2.9 I can start with the 3.1.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The donor I have also came with 60lb injectors and a trifecta tune which is unfortunate because I splurged and got HPtuners pro, wideband and 2 credits and i can't even pull the file. To top it off the trifecta tune is absolutely terrible it drives like im learning to drive a clutch all over again. Maybe I can take that tune and add fuel everywhere as a baseline so I can at least start MAF tuning and pulling logs. I have a 3.1 pulley and a 2.9 I can start with the 3.1.
The closed loop system of these cars should help to keep the A/F ratio correct. But they have to have time to learn (long term fuel trims). So don't build a car and then drop it on the dyno for a full pull without some tuning first.

What ZZP is doing is changing the throttle response to make the car "feel" more powerful. I compared my 1.0 tune to a stock and that was what they mostly did. I'll bet that is what Trifecta did also. That was our problem also. Trifecta is just smart enough to lock their tune so you can't see what stupid things they are doing and you have to pay them more to ever change it or change it back.

Personally the 60# injectors are the dumbest thing to put on these engines without more upgrades to really require them. I have been battling mine trying to get them to run well. It's really dumb to just put larger injectors in with a stock pulley which is the set up we had on our donor, just plucking dumb! Now we have a smaller pulley and exhaust, etc. and can use more-that-stock, so I'm not going back.

Bottom line, don't bother hunting around for a tune to put on your car. It needs to be tuned properly to your car.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Hey All as some of you may know I have been having a fuel gauge issue since programming my 05 PCM with a 06 code apparently the gauges are backwards so full is empty for my 05 now. The gauge is not the only issue my car cuts fuel I am not sure if these are related issues but I get a low fuel warning so maybe the PCM is cutting fuel for this reason?

I have #60 injectors with a 2.9 pulley and looking for anyone with a 05 code. If you have a base code that would even help as we flashed my original code due to corruption from someones previous tune. My tuner is using HP Tuners.

Thanks I appreciate it.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
There are 4 tunes in HP Tuners repository with 60lb injectors for the 2005. They all have the 2.6" pulley, but it is a good start.
https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository/?

Here is: 2.6" pulley, 60lb injectors, Corsa Touring Rob's custom tune
Thanks Ross the tuner took my old 05 tune and added the data from the tune you linked then re-flashed. Now my fuel gauge is back to normal and the car no longer goes in limp mode. For anyone in the future don’t flash a 06 tune on a 05 for these reasons and I’m sure more I’m unaware of. Car is strong now 240whp 275tq.

lksohm

Hey guys,
I finally have my engine installed and up and running.
My donor ('07 SS/SC) came with what seems to be a ZZP stage 2 kit. It had the 2.9 pulley, 60lb. injectors, dual bypass...
The car fires right up but runs super rich. It has black soot coming from the exhaust and runs super choppy like a cammed out V8. From what I read this is how some of your cars were like when you first got them going.

Is it possible to have one of you guys with the same or very similar mods tune my ECM for me? I don't have the time to learn a whole new skill like that just yet. I don't know how generic these tunes are or if they have to be super specific to a particular engine.

I'm not sure if HP tuners makes you pay per VIN or how that works. I'd pay for any expenses plus what you think is fair.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Hey guys,
My donor ('07 SS/SC) came with what seems to be a ZZP stage 2 kit. It had the 2.9 pulley, 60lb. injectors, dual bypass...
The car fires right up but runs super rich. It has black soot coming from the exhaust and runs super choppy like a cammed out V8. From what I read this is how some of your cars were like when you first got them going.

Is it possible to have one of you guys with the same or very similar mods tune my ECM for me? I don't have the time to learn a whole new skill like that just yet. I don't know how generic these tunes are or if they have to be super specific to a particular engine.

I'm not sure if HP tuners makes you pay per VIN or how that works. I'd pay for any expenses plus what you think is fair.
You’ll still need HPTuners for anyone to be able to help as we can’t upload the tune to your ECU.

Also, before you even begin to talk about tuning you HAVE to have an AFR gauge installed.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Hey guys,

It's not really a good idea to share files other than for a base to tune from. Ideally the best thing to do it get it professionally tuned. Ultimately even though I have HP Tuners and have a fairly good understanding of it, I'm still going to take it in on the dyno and have it tuned by someone more talented than me. Especially after modifying the fuel system as I just have.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I could help you tune your engine remotely, but you will still have to do most of the work. By the end of all this, you will have learned how to do it. Other than that, you could find a dyno tuner, or learn from Kyle, and his YouTube videos at https://goatropegarage.com/

You will have to spend $602 to buy HP Tuners hardware, install a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust, wire it to the gauge in the dash, and plug it into a laptop. Then you need to upload new software to your PCM, to put your car in "open loop" and records specific values while driving on the roads. Then download the data, modify the engine tune, and upload back into the PCM. I repeat the record while driving, download, modify and upload steps about 20 times, for each thing that we tune, which normally is 3 things: mass airflow sensor, the manifold air pressure sensor and the knock sensor for the spark advance table. So it takes a lot of driving, recording, and uploading to get it all working right.

lksohm

Ok, thanks guys. Tuning modern engines is still very new to me.
The donor had a wideband setup minus the gauge so I'm afraid the car may have had some very amateur tuning done to it.

I may be better off finding a reputable tuner and getting the car on the dyno. If I do decide to go the HP tuner route I'm sure I will have questions.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Try running it with the MAF unplugged and also make sure you have the MAF turned the correct direction.

lksohm

Try running it with the MAF unplugged and also make sure you have the MAF turned the correct direction.
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I got around to playing with the MAF sensor. The car seems to run exactly the same whether the sensor is plugged in, or not, or changed the arrow direction away from the throttle body, or back the right way.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I got around to playing with the MAF sensor. The car seems to run exactly the same whether the sensor is plugged in, or not, or changed the arrow direction away from the throttle body, or back the right way.
Your engine sounds like it is running in VE (volumetric efficiency or also called speed density) mode only. Have you pulled the OBDII codes?
The MAF sensor is only used in MAF mode, which is the default mode for street driving.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Mine did the same, it turned out I had a blown fuse. I rewired some grounds to the fusebox and the MAF has a common ground to the intercooler pump. This is the fuse that was blown on my 07 LSJ.