HP Tuners MPVI2 Stand Alone Data Logging Available Now

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Anyone looking to upgrade to the PRO set for the stand alone data logging? Sounds appealing but if I want to log AFR, I still need my laptop for the USB connection. Unless I can use the analog of the AEM gauge. I need to look into that.

Peregrinus

Anyone looking to upgrade to the PRO set for the stand alone data logging? Sounds appealing but if I want to log AFR, I still need my laptop for the USB connection. Unless I can use the analog of the AEM gauge. I need to look into that.

View attachment 20008
If you get the pro features, you can plug the afr analog right into the little dongle they send you when you get the pro set I believe.

Edit: this little guy here https://www.hptuners.com/product/pro_link/

Ross

Goblin Guru
What sensors are we not using on our engines?
These unused sensors can be repurposed to show up in our hp tuners logs. (Kind of like the HP Tuners Pro feature)

- air conditioning pressure sensor (this also has an ECM controlled fan circuit, which could be re-purposed)
- fuel tank pressure (ECM uses this to control the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve) This guy used a fuel tank pressure sensor wire for his fuel pump pressure sensor.
- catalytic converter temperature (I think this is what HP Tuners calls the post catalytic converter sensor)
- heated oxygen sensor, post catalytic converter. (Perfect for a wideband O2? Would need to disable all ECM use of the original sensor)

If I was to use an arduino, I could re-calibrate the fuel level sensor, and add an independent fuel gauge that is a lot more accurate.
Then the stock sensor could be re-used and logged in HP tuners. Maybe a fuel pressure sensor, and the stock fuel level indicator would actually be my fuel pressure gauge. Probably should print a new gauge faceplate for it, and calibrate it.

- fuel tank level sensor.

Last edited:

Goblin Graber

What sensors are we not using on our engines?
These unused sensors can be repurposed to show up in our hp tuners logs. (Kind of like the HP Tuners Pro feature)

- air conditioning pressure sensor (this also has an ECM controlled fan circuit, which could be re-purposed)
- fuel tank pressure (ECM uses this to control the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve)
- catalytic converter temperature (I think this is what HP Tuners calls the post catalytic converter sensor)
- heated oxygen sensor, post catalytic converter. (Perfect for a wideband O2? Would need to disable all ECM use of the original sensor)

If I was to use an arduino, I could re-calibrate the fuel level sensor, and add an independent fuel gauge that is a lot more accurate.
Then the stock sensor could be re-used and logged in HP tuners. Maybe a fuel pressure sensor, and the stock fuel level indicator would actually be my fuel pressure gauge. Probably should print a new gauge faceplate for it, and calibrate it.

- fuel tank level sensor. This guy used it for his fuel pressure.
Here’s a video on how to reuse a current sensor for wideband like Ross is talking about. This is what I’m going to do.

baustin

The part I like most about this standalone data logging addition (wasn't released as a function when I first got the pro features but was planned) is that I won't need a laptop in the car while driving, I'll have to test it out when I get a warm enough day to go for a drive. I've had a couple times that my laptop didn't want to stay in the passenger seat when trying to log data; luckily it was under straight braking, not turns, so it fell in the foot area not on the road.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I want to connect the boost solenoid to the analog input and monitor when the ECM calls for the solenoid to open. I'd really like to have a better understanding of when and how it's used.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have attached my GoPro to the roll bar, so I could monitor the boost solenoid. Watched the video, and learned. The herky jerky throttle I get in 1st gear occurs when the boost solenoid gets activated. I am wanting to make an arduino boost controller that uses the solenoid wire as input, add a switch or two to the transmission, so the arduino knows it is in first gear, and then apply a smoothing function to 1st gear boost solenoid activation.

The camera method is a low tech solution for testing purposes. A long term solution would be to connect it to one of the old sensors to it, or the MPVI2 Pro sensor wires. I think the ECM uses PWM on the solenoid, so if you made a 12v to 5v converter, it would take a lot of logging to catch the PWM. Maybe hook a potentiometer to the bypass valve, and measure its position, rather than the PWM signal it takes to get to that position.