I don't need all the valves working do I...

Ross

Goblin Guru
That missing rocker arm won't change the weight. You are good.
Looks like you caught it before self-destroying the top end.
Even if destroyed, all the fragments are contained in the head, so you can still weigh it accurately.
Sorry. Dad humor.

Rabid Sloth Racing

The wins keep coming. Went to the local stealership because they had two lifters in stock for $20 each. When i got there they had two boxes of eight lifters per box at $20... I asked to double check and the cashier was 100% sure the price was per box. So I just bought an entire set of 16 for $2.50 per lifter.

Rabid Sloth Racing

And the wins stop... The cam lobe was out of the way and just by loosening the bearing caps there was enough room to pop the rocker back in without de-timing. Once everything was in and torqued down I tried rotating the engine to be sure everything was working properly. I can spin it until the middle two cylinders are near the top and it hits a hard stop. Everything looks good on the timing chain side. The lifters and rockers on the intake side are very loose. I'm hoping that's due to oil pressure loss from pulling the one lifter? I just accepted an offer on my house and have boxed a ton of stuff up so I don't know where my scope is to look in 3 and 4 to see if there is an obstruction.

Guess I'm tearing through boxes after work.

Rabid Sloth Racing

Found the scope...

So the positives:
I don't need to fix anything right now.
I don't need to buy a toy hauler to pull the Goblin around in right now.
I have my spring project already decided.
I'll be able to get the timing chain, water pump, valve springs, all upgraded

The negatives:
I'm not going to have my car running again until probably next summer.

Rabid Sloth Racing

Back to the wins...

My scope is junk, but I can't see any piston or cylinder damage.
There are used junkyard heads out there with less than 60k miles for under $200
I already have a head gasket

Due to the time constraints, rather than doing everything the right way, I might just slap a used head on it with a new timing chain just to get mobile again. Then once I know where I'll be living, go ahead and get a second donor powertrain (one with the LSD tranny) and build that block from the ground up.

I do have some questions since the engine won't rotate to TDC. Once I pull the old head I need to rotate the crank until cylinders 1 and 4 are at full extension. This should put the mark on the lower timing chain sprocket to roughly 5 o clock. I match the colored chain link to the mark on the lower sprocket. Then I set the intake cam to roughly 2, and the exhaust to roughly 10 and match those links also. Then carefully reattach the cam sensor, tensioner, covers, etc. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Back to the wins...

My scope is junk, but I can't see any piston or cylinder damage.
There are used junkyard heads out there with less than 60k miles for under $200
I already have a head gasket

Due to the time constraints, rather than doing everything the right way, I might just slap a used head on it with a new timing chain just to get mobile again. Then once I know where I'll be living, go ahead and get a second donor powertrain (one with the LSD tranny) and build that block from the ground up.

I do have some questions since the engine won't rotate to TDC. Once I pull the old head I need to rotate the crank until cylinders 1 and 4 are at full extension. This should put the mark on the lower timing chain sprocket to roughly 5 o clock. I match the colored chain link to the mark on the lower sprocket. Then I set the intake cam to roughly 2, and the exhaust to roughly 10 and match those links also. Then carefully reattach the cam sensor, tensioner, covers, etc. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?
crank sprocket is 6 o clock. I believe exhaust balance shaft is 6 o clock and intake is 12 o clock. The head cams you have correct. It is odd that it will not TDC if these adjustments do not resolve the issue I would think about a tear down.

PaulPerger

So the positives:
I don't need to fix anything right now.
I don't need to buy a toy hauler to pull the Goblin around in right now.
I have my spring project already decided.
I'll be able to get the timing chain, water pump, valve springs, all upgraded
How is this a positive? I'd love an excuse to buy a toy hauler!!

The negatives:
I'm not going to have my car running again until probably next summer.
That sucks... On a positive note, you can focus on your move... Maybe...