If you can't find an SS.. any guides to Turbocharging or Supercharging? Cost?

Gage

The availability of SS Cobalts appears to be very slim. The dream of a $1,500 salvaged SS has left my house. ;D

If I were to look for a low mileage, non turbo/supercharged model, has anyone put up a template of the parts cost and procedures involved? Are the manual transmissions for those models far less desirable?

Then the biggest factor by far and again, what kind of tuning solutions have you seen for a naturally aspirated power-train converted over to turbo/supercharged?

northvibe

There are actually a lot available, on copart.com for auction. They seem to go around 1200-1500? I'm loosely looking and yeah, not much around my local area....but I've never hunted wrecked cars before.

HPT can tune the ecotec no problem. The NA manual trans however is a different model than the SS's. If you wanted to go NA, I found a ton of NA SS's with the 2.4 manual and auto

Gage

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I too saw many on copart, but how many under 100k miles, without catostrophic damage, in the continental USA? =0)

At one time, I thought that all SS's, were supercharged or turbocharged. What is the point of an SS with a standard motor? What is special about it other than the SS and some bling?

I'll definitely check out HPT.

PHerder

It is a WHOLE 0.2 liters BIGGER !!!! :D :D :D

Also check ZZP http://zzperformance.com/ecotec/engine.html

They sell Turbo kits but it looks like they no longer sell a Supercharger kit. :(

They state "We only offer tune files for the '06+ 2.4L and '07+ 2.2L vehicles."

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We've supercharged a 2.2 LAP (2009 and later). It wasn't too hard and we got a tune from ZZP that got us close. We've got HPTuners and enough credits to unlock every variety of Cobalt (except for the early years that HPTuners doesn't support). We have access to a chassis dyno so we will eventually start tuning on there and get tunes for base models, base models with upgrades and SS cars.

We talked to ZZP recently and they let us know that they have a limited number of superchargers left. This is probably why the supercharger kit is gone from their website. Because of this, you'll have to do what BAR-AIR has done and find a used ZZP supercharger kit or do what Alex is doing and piece used parts together.

Alternatively, you can go with the turbo kit. This is probably what we will go with in the future. We are going to make custom turbo plumbing that fits the Goblin better than the Cobalt plumbing. It'll be offered online after we get it all figured out and we will have guides for installing it all.

The non-boosted SS was a very early model SS. It eventually became the Cobalt Sport when the supercharged Cobalt was released. The NA Cobalt was a 2.4 and had 26 more horsepower than the base model at that time so it was a bit of an upgrade. It wouldn't be a bad starting point for someone planning to add boost later.

The turbo cars are hard to find. The supercharged cars are a little easier. The base model are definitely the easiest to find, especially the automatic. People knock the auto base model until they ride in P1. It shifts harder than anyone expects and when you drop it down into I or L, it holds the revs up as you slow down as if it is in gear like a manual. This means that when you get back on the gas, it is ready to go.

I would highly recommend a base automatic to start and then add a turbocharger when you want to go faster.

Gage

Noted. Thanks for all the great advice and tips. I've done supercharger before. I'm a turbo fan these days.
Although, the Rotrex is the sweetest sounding thing I have ever heard in my life. That is my favorite power adder.

I am a already sold on your Goblin turbo plumbing Adam.

Richyrich91

Hey there. I’ve been looking everywhere for a decent supercharged 2.2 LAP(automatic) Base tune to start from, I found one guy had posted his screenshots of his tune so I’ve been using that. But I just want a second opinion on my tune thus far. Tonight I finally installed and wired everything up so I’m ready to try to fire it up but I’m worried that my tune isn’t gonna be the right one. Any advice please? Lol

Ross

Goblin Guru
Hey there. I’ve been looking everywhere for a decent supercharged 2.2 LAP(automatic) Base tune to start from, I found one guy had posted his screenshots of his tune so I’ve been using that. But I just want a second opinion on my tune thus far. Tonight I finally installed and wired everything up so I’m ready to try to fire it up but I’m worried that my tune isn’t gonna be the right one. Any advice please? Lol
The supercharger normally has the bypass valve open, and only when you get above 80% throttle does it close and start making boost.
So, your first start and tuning could be done with a stock LAP tune, and after you have tuned the lower 80%, then you can slowly start tuning the upper 20%, which will involve the supercharger.