Im having problems sealing my fuel pump

Oldchevyguy

Hi there! I'm having problems sealing my fuel pump. I installed it using the 1/4 " drill. I found out later when putting gas in it that the o ring squeezed out in one area. I readjusted it, and even smoke checked it, which is like 2 psi. I looked good. But now I filled it up and some gas is leaking out on the same side that it leaked before. DJ oes anyone make flat gasket? I know silicon is a no no with fuel. Any ideas?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Odd. First I heard of one leaking. A decent o-ring should work fine. We stopped using the 1/4” gap because it seemed that our nuts were bottoming right around that make if not slightl tighter. As many times as we have taken it out and back in, it seems to seal fine. Maybe try a new o-ring. We used to have an extra but I think I tossed it.

Oldchevyguy

Odd. First I heard of one leaking. A decent o-ring should work fine. We stopped using the 1/4” gap because it seemed that our nuts were bottoming right around that make if not slightl tighter. As many times as we have taken it out and back in, it seems to seal fine. Maybe try a new o-ring. We used to have an extra but I think I tossed it.
It's a new fuel pump with a new o ring. Just my luck. If anything can go wrong it will.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Is your tank powder coated? Possibly not smooth enough on that side for the o-ring to seal against?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Mine is not powdercoated or painted in the sealing area. Maybe that might help. Also check the underside of the pump flange, maybe it has a bad spot in it that won’t seal.

You are putting it in the inside of the bolts? They should help keep it from squishing out.

Oldchevyguy

Mine is not powdercoated or painted in the sealing area. Maybe that might help. Also check the underside of the pump flange, maybe it has a bad spot in it that won’t seal.

You are putting it in the inside of the bolts? They should help keep it from squishing out.
Yes

Oldchevyguy

It's a new fuel pump with a new o ring. Just my luck. If anything can go wrong it will.
I'm confused about the 1/4 gap. Are you saying to tighten so the gap is more or less than 1/4"?
I plan to remove the pump tomorrow and add a permatex fuel type sealing product to the o ring. If that dosent work, I might make a flat gasket.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I'm confused about the 1/4 gap. Are you saying to tighten so the gap is more or less than 1/4"?
I plan to remove the pump tomorrow and add a permatex fuel type sealing product to the o ring. If that dosent work, I might make a flat gasket.
I don't remember the gap being a 1/4". But my memory is fading. The gap between the tank and the mounting ring.