Injector Data

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
After my fuel pump self-destructed and seems to pump small debris through the system and clog my return filter, I was worried about the new injectors potentially being clogged. So I sent them off for a flow test and cleaning if necessary. They were fine. They were able to provide a flow rate of the injectors and their matching abilities. I just thought this was interesting and thought I would share.

These are 60lbs (rates at 3bar) split injectors. The actual flow at the set pressure of the SS/SC of 4bar (58psi) is much higher, around 78lbs.

IMG_0207.JPG

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I saw that just after I posted. If it were in plain text I would remove it immediately but since it's in a photo I was being lazy. I'd like to hope I can trust you all, but just in case, it removed. Thanks.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My phone number is in multiple posts, nobody hassles me. Really not a big deal.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Don't forget when figure actual flow rate at psi, you have to subtract the boost pressure. So at 10psi boost, the injector is flowing at fuel pressure minus 10psi.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Don't forget when figure actual flow rate at psi, you have to subtract the boost pressure. So at 10psi boost, the injector is flowing at fuel pressure minus 10psi.
True, unless you are running a boost referenced fuel pressure system like I am. :)

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I don't know of should ask this here or start another thread. Guess I'll see if I get answers. I pulled most of the torque management from our stock tune. Yes, the car was very fun. We watched afr through obd2 scanner. Never saw anything above 12.5 with boost. It was in the 16s when below 2000rpm. We got a p0087, p0089, p0089. Long story short, we chaned both pumps and fuel pressure sensor. Saw the p0089 code once more. Went back to stock tune. Drove for 1/2 hr normally. Now it's running terrible, shows the same codes, and is making really ugly sounds at eradic times. Massive blow by through oil fill hole at idle. Vaccum at higher rpms. Compression 148-150 on all cylinders

Scoped and #3 has something going on. It looks like it has filings laying on the piston Valve train looks fine on top. Pcv valve is fine, pretty oily in intake runners.

Could we have lost one injector and run lean in that cylinder?
78061.jpeg
How much does it cost to check injectors?

Ideas?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yikes! Those codes are for fuel pressure too low. Low fuel pressure will cause lean all across the board, all cylinders. First thing to do is get a fuel pressure gauge and plumb in line before the injectors. You should have 4 bar (or 58lbs of pressure), if not N/A. I have one and it has diagnosed problems twice now for me. Maybe I'm just unlucky with fuel pressure. I would not drive the car until you get this under control. You don't want to burn your pistons.

What do you your plugs look like?

What engine do you have, TC? I know their fuel pump is set up different than our SS/SC. Our factory regulator is in the pump as a simple spring and ball. But with low pressure, that's most likely the pump itself or a clogged filter.

I sent my injectors off after fixing my fuel pump issue (debris in the fuel lines, afraid of clogging the injector). It cost $15 to test, $25 I think to clean. But with shipping both ways, almost $100 all in.

When you are watching the AFR, you are probably reading commanded, in other words, what the controller is WANTING the AFR to be, not what it actually is. There is no way to read actual on our SS/SC using the OBDII port. Get an AEM 03-0300 AFR to read actual AFR. If you are really good, set up HP Tuners to log histograms to compare the commanded against actual and you will see exactly how far off things are. Also a good scan could help tell a lot about how lean it may be.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We have 69lbs from the lift pump(in tank}

Plugs looked normal.

We have a TC

I have a new Afr gauge to put in, but I'm afraid I got it to late. We were watching Afr via hp tuners. I hope that was real time and not just what the ecm was calling for. I'll have to do some learning to see what we were actually looking at

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru

Plugs looked normal.

We have a TC

I have a new Afr gauge to put in, but I'm afraid I got it to late. We were watching Afr via hp tuners. I hope that was real time and not just what the ecm was calling for. I'll have to do some learning to see what we were actually looking at
I wonder why you are getting codes associated with low fuel pressure.

This is what my Scanner set up looks like as far as actual AFR versus commanded. Commanded specifically states as such.

Ross

Goblin Guru

Plugs looked normal.

We have a TC

The stock LSJ only has a narrow band O2 sensor, which tells the ECM if the AFR is above or below commanded AFR. We added a wideband O2 to get the actual AFR in the exhaust.
I think the LNF has a wideband O2 in the stock engine. What engine are you running? You have multiple.

The commanded AFR is 12.5 (under power) or 14.7 (cruising) almost all the time. Actual AFR wanders a lot more.

If you have a point and shoot temp gauge, you can measure each exhaust pipe temp., and see if cylinder #3 is running lean (hot).
The LSJ has a port on the fuel rail to measure pressure. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto supply store, for free.

Lots of blow by at idle, and oily intake.... Idle isn't boost blowby. Compression is reasonable, but the blowby has to be coming from combustion.
Rings, valve guide seals, or a faulty head gasket. I would do a leak down test... find out where the blowby is coming from.