Installing starter

barichuk

I had to get a new starter, long story and not very funny, and I don't remember how to attach the wires. I have a small 'switch' wire, and I know it goes to the small connector in the middle. I have a big power wire coming from the battery, a wire coming from the alternator, and one coming from the fuse box in the back of the car; three wires and only two connectors. Can anyone tell me which wires go where?

Attachments

barichuk

Do you mean the solenoid? There are 3 connectors. The small one in the center is from the computer and tells the starter it's OK to start. The left one has the power cord from the battery and a wire from the alternator. The right one is the ground to the case of the starter.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That's the crank position sensor. If I'm seeing this correctly, the one just to the left of it is the knock sensor.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I, too, can confirm, the oil pressure sending unit is referred to with the arrow and threaded into the block, and the knock sensor is mated to the block with the smaller bolt that is in the foreground in that picture.