Installing the hood

Anks329

I had my hood nicely installed; but after a couple of speed bumps I seem to have lost the dzus fasteners at the front. What are some other options to mount the hood? Anyone try neodymium magnets or something else?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I just replaced mine with Dzus with another Dzus that uses an allen wrench. And along the way found out how to fine-tune the set up. I used to dread taking on and off the hood and planned everything around it. Now it works so well that I took it off at the latest car show. It's so easy to do now, once I fine-tuned the setup. I'll have to do a quick write up about it sometime.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I just replaced mine with Dzus with another Dzus that uses an allen wrench.
Quoted for truth. You want these from ebay - pry out the old fastener and push in the new (I did not grind off the welded stock df plate and rivet on the new one - just take them apart)

Self Ejecting Button Allen Head 7/16 .550 Long Dzus Fasteners Fastener

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I didn't realize you could pry them out without grinding off the existing ones.... this is a must-upgrade.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
So, for those of us who have the DF supplied ones... how is an allen head any better/easier than a slotted head? Both need a tool. Wouldn't something that's big enough for you to wrap your meat hooks around work best? I like the idea of that button push thing but the pictures are super blurry and I can't tell whats going on.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I presume because the slotted ones from DF have a very wide slot that's also very shallow. Mine are a little beat up already and I've only attached the hood once!

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I was mislead by the rear hood bolt fitment to think that the hood swung open, like a normal car, so I was a little disappointed to find out you have detach everything to remove the hood rather than swing it open.

I don't think I'm going to be using my windshield so it makes the idea of fabricating a bottom mount that works with the swinging action a possibility.... HMMMMMMM

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So, for those of us who have the DF supplied ones... how is an allen head any better/easier than a slotted head? Both need a tool. Wouldn't something that's big enough for you to wrap your meat hooks around work best? I like the idea of that button push thing but the pictures are super blurry and I can't tell whats going on.
This is the primary reason. Unless you buy the special tool for $27 and still end up with this over time. The allen doesn't easily strip out. And besides you need tools to do the other two bolts on the dash. Once the car is complete and the bugs worked out, we have only taken it off once this yea, so having to use a tool is no inconvenience. And it's a lot easier to modify than to redesign the whole thing.

But I cannot stress enough, proper adjustments is a must. And I must admit, I didn't have ours properly adjusted originally. Now it's like butter!

image.jpg

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
You have to have a stubby flat head which is always that tool that's impossible to find. So by the time you find it you're all crabby and then you go to turn the fastener and end up stripping it because they might as well be made of crayons - you go into top tier rage level at this point. Every.time.

The allen-head experience is not like that. DF should use these as default

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You have to have a stubby flat head which is always that tool that's impossible to find. So by the time you find it you're all crabby and then you go to turn the fastener and end up stripping it because they might as well be made of crayons. The allen-head experience is not like that. DF should use these as default
And the stubby is not really even the right tool but it's the only thing you have that's close. I even modified a sacrificial stubby to make it fit better but still not good enough to keep it from buggering it up.

Anks329

Thanks for all great suggestions! I'm not the only one with this issue :)

The allen head dzus look like a good option, as do using a set of donor bolts/nuts instead. I'll dig through my box of leftovers and see if something might fit the bill here.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Wouldn't something that's big enough for you to wrap your meat hooks around work best?
For fear of sounding like an a55, there are two ways to hold an Allen wrench. One direction for speed and the other for torque (assuming using the standard Allen key). A quarter turn using the stubby side of the Allen with properly adjusted Dzus fasteners is a breeze with two fingers.