Instrument Cluster swap

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know if the instrument clusters will interchange between SS and non-SS, particularly in the 2008-2010. My speedometer doesn’t work in mine and the non-SS are about 1/2 price of the SS. I know there are visual differences and things like the red line are different but will they function? And include the Driver Information Center data?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know if the instrument clusters will interchange between SS and non-SS, particularly in the 2008-2010. My speedometer doesn’t work in mine and the non-SS are about 1/2 price of the SS. I know there are visual differences and things like the red line are different but will they function? And include the Driver Information Center data?
Can you call around to the junk yards and check for one ,

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
The cheapest one on eBay offered 10% off so I got one for $33. I figured for that price I would take the gamble and can likely resale for most of my money if it doesn’t work. Of course if it works I won’t be able to tell how much above 120mph I might be going.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Curious if the speed sensor calibration for the instrument cluster is different between the SS and NA where XX pulses per second = XX MPH for one where XX pulses is ZZ MPH on the other? Example 60 MPH on the SS gauges is reading 50 MPH on the NA gauges?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If so I think I can adjust in HP Tuner. I think the odometer mileage is stored in the BCM and likely the calibration is there or ECM. Since it’s adjustable in HP T it’s likely in the ECM.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The cluster gets speed from the PCM via serial data message. I can't find it again but I seem to recall someone posting about swapping clusters and it's plug and play.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
My experience with similar era GM products is that the cluster will swap and function as plug and play, but that the odometer won't necessarily be accurate. I figured the the cluster would just display whatever the BCM had saved, but that assumption was wrong after swapping a mph cluster into my LMM to replace the km/h cluster. I think that the cluster may also have some memory.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Swapped in the non SS cluster this weekend and still no speedometer. Everything else is working on both clusters. I’m able to read speedometer through the obd2 port,with HP Tuner, Tech2 clone and separate obd2 aftermarket gauge. The service manual just says to perform a sweep test with Tech2 but that is the only thing I’ve found to be missing from the Tech2 clone. Since everything else works I assumed the step motor in the cluster was bad. The best I can find in the manual for schematics indicates the speedometer info comes from the dark green data wires.

Has anyone else had a bad instrument cluster so I can judge how likely it is that I’ve got 2 bad clusters? Any other thoughts?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thats a tough one. Not likely two bad instrument clusters (IC), but I can't think of any other possible reason. Data is flowing to the OBDII port, and the IC, just not the speedometer.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Anyone interested trying one of my instrument clusters and seeing if the speedometer works for them? If it doesn't they can trash it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I could do that... wait, you have an 09 LNF donor, and I have an 06 LSJ. Not sure they will work, as the ECU is different between our cars. I can get an instrument cluster from the local auto recycler for about $30. I have used 3 or 4 different clusters, and it doesn't matter if I used a 120 mph, 140mph, or 160mph, they all indicated speed correctly.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure if it matters what year. I'll post the wiring connector with wire colors for my cluster this evening and we can see if it matches. If it matches it will likely work. But maybe someone with a newer model will volunteer before then.

It shouldn't matter if on a later model if it's SS or not. My ebay purchased one was a non-SS so I would pull it back out and send it if someone with a new base volunteers.

Scott #321

I have a 09 ss and would be willing to test it for you. I am currently going through a upgrade process so it would likely be 30-60 days before I could provide results though. Hopefully someone could provide faster feedback than I can.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
30-60 days isn't necessarily a big deal, I'm probably at least that long before weather improves enough to drive it a lot and I still have the OBDII gauge anyway. It just happened to be on my mind today. I'm thinking that if it's just buying another gauge cluster to fix it that's what I'll do. If it turns out to be some other, ECM/BCM problem, I may just eliminate it completely and use that space for storage/glove box.

Scott #321

My timeliness is dependant on gm wholesaler actually being able to deliver f23 I ordered. If I haven't heard back from them when engine is ready I will go back together with f35 for the time being. being. May wind up doing that anyway as quafie looks to be hurry up and wait as well.