Insurance choices.

Tony

There's so much more that goes into insurance its hard to compare, when I moved from middle of Cornfiledville Illinois to Missouri my insurance dropped $200 a year, then I got married and combined everything dropped even more, then turned 24 or 25 (cant remember) and it dropped more, when I went from a renter to a home owner it dropped again.
I definitely understand that it's complicated. Like I said, I just wish I understood it better. It blows my mind that it can vary that wildly. I don't have a horrible record, almost 30, and a homeowner, yet my rate is almost triple... crazy.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I definitely understand that it's complicated. Like I said, I just wish I understood it better. It blows my mind that it can vary that wildly. I don't have a horrible record, almost 30, and a homeowner, yet my rate is almost triple... crazy.
Yeah that's crazy, I'm not looking forward to trying to get the goblin insured.

I just switched from Country Financial back to State Farm in May and my rates dropped $45 a month (same coverage), and my home owners dropped $100 a year.

I gave my Country Financial guy the opportunity to match and he couldn't even get close.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
My pointers about insurance so far are:

1. Do not say you are driving to work more than like 5 times a year maybe say not at all. Even though we all know different.

2. The big problem is they all see these as " Sand rails, Rail buggies" no one wants to insure these.

3. Take picture from low to the ground to give the low ground clearance look.

4. Do not refer to it a a Atom type vehicle. use the lotus replica reference.

Just a few things I learned..

Christopher Sanchez

Hagerty just quoted me 1066 for full coverage occasional use to work is fine 4000 miles yearly 0 deduction agreed price of 25k.. I will send them the pictures and see if they change their mind..

Tim Moland

I got insurance through American Modern as others have in this thread. $296/yr, 6000mi limit. $20,000 value. Car shows /car club /pleasure driving(every time I take it out it is a pleasure, haha). It has to be kept in a locked garage. I also had to send them pictures of the car and the garage. It took about two weeks to get everything finalized.

WYGoblin

I hate to say this, but they do have a point. I'm not sure there are many builders who put a Goblin together for their collector value. I went with State Farm and had zero issues. I was able to get a temp card the same day. It only took a few minutes to have it added to my existing policy. I did have to send pictures and I was a bit worried what they'd say after they saw them, but I haven't had any issues in almost a year.

I'm paying about $900/year for full coverage and a $250 deductible. I like the idea that it's covered like my daily driver and I have no mileage limitations or any other goofy rules like other insurance companies have. It really all depends on how much you're willing to pay.
I know this is an old thread but Brian you said you have state farm for insurance? I went to my insurance agent seeing as I have state farm for the other 5 vehicles I have and they told me they can't insure the goblin as it is a "modified" car. Is there something I need to tell them to get them to maybe insure it? Thanks in advance

WYGoblin

I might have to ask them that. I am getting ready to register it and want to have my ducks in a row when I go to the courthouse.

lksohm

I got mine last week through a local office who worked with progressive. Full coverage worked out to $126/mo valued at $16,000 or $26/mo for just liability. No mile limits on either.
They asked for zero pictures and asked zero questions about the car, they said they would just do a google search.

WYGoblin

Ok next dumb question. Talking with an insurance "broker" they told me the only one they can insure it through was progressive and they will only do it as a sand buggy under a cycle policy. Anyone else have that issue or is theirs actually a automotive policy. There shouldn't be a problem seeing as it will be insured as a street legal vehicle.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It might depend on what state you live in, but I’d rather have it listed as a car instead of a buggy (Just cause).

try different insurance companies.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
The general issue insurance companies run in to is that they can't find the VIN in their systems. You have to contact an insurance company who can overwrite that. I was insured with Liberty Mutual in ~15min (liability only until it's legal, actual cash value, $45/mo and my record is clean).

If you're in NC, call Bob Messig ( 919-604-5151 )

WYGoblin

It might depend on what state you live in, but I’d rather have it listed as a car instead of a buggy (Just cause).

try different insurance companies.
I agree with wanting it as a car instead of a buggy (just out of principle).

The general issue insurance companies run in to is that they can't find the VIN in their systems. You have to contact an insurance company who can overwrite that. I was insured with Liberty Mutual in ~15min (liability only until it's legal, actual cash value, $45/mo and my record is clean).

If you're in NC, call Bob Messig ( 919-604-5151 )
I wish I could call Liberty Mutual but that is a company that don't do business in Wyoming. There seems to be a lot that can't insure in Wyoming that I have been running into. I might have to get a state issued vin number so it is 17 digit but that process is easy. Just have to send a filled out form and receipts from df and any major parts like engine. Then they issue a vin number. Might take a little time just cause of the Covid slowing down everything but the courthouse will let me know tomorrow. I let them know that there are other kit cars running around town here but not sure if they went through that process. All of them are factory five AC Cobra kits.

Anks329

I got insurance for my Goblin last week through Robbin at Midwest Classic (https://www.midwestclassicinsurance.com/) The policy is through American Modern, with a stated value and 3k miles per year. Pretty painless process, had to provide pictures of the car from all four side, a shoot of the engine and a build sheet (excel file of all my expenses) to support the stated value. Did all that over email, then called in my credit card info and had temp insurance cards later that day :)
Edit to add: Insurance was 365 for the year, not a completely clean record... no one is perfect at the end of the day :)

Last edited:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I got insurance for my Goblin last week through Robbin at Midwest Classic (https://www.midwestclassicinsurance.com/) The policy is through American Modern, with a stated value and 3k miles per year. Pretty painless process, had to provide pictures of the car from all four side, a shoot of the engine and a build sheet (excel file of all my expenses) to support the stated value. Did all that over email, then called in my credit card info and had temp insurance cards later that day :)
Edit to add: Insurance was 365 for the year, not a completely clean record... no one is perfect at the end of the day :)
I assume this is full coverage?

Anks329

I assume this is full coverage?
Yup, full coverage. I can't use the Goblin as my primary car (no commuting to work, running errands, etc.) and no track usage, I can primarily use it for "pleasure drives" But every drive is full of pleasure :) $250 deductible, 3k miles per year, $21k stated value, and coverage limits to match my other existing car policies.