Interference of lower control arm bolt with steering rack

KSLunsfo

Has anyone else had so much interference trying to install the passenger side lower control arm bolt that the steering rack needed to be completely unbolted to get enough room to push it through. I've already given it a good bit of persuasion with a 2lb hammer and getting increasingly uncomfortable with that method.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Has anyone else had so much interference trying to install the passenger side lower control arm bolt that the steering rack needed to be completely unbolted to get enough room to push it through. I've already given it a good bit of persuasion with a 2lb hammer and getting increasingly uncomfortable with that method.

View attachment 19291
yes. mine was tight as well.

KSLunsfo

Thanks for the quick responses. I looked into doing that as well, but it seemed that the increased height of the nut as compared to the bolt head would have meant the nut and steering rack would have been trying to occupy the same space. Though I didn't take a picture of it when I had it in that way... All bolted back together and I'd be surprised if there's more than 1mm of clearance between the bolt head and rack.

I'm just really hoping there's nearly no reason to ever take that bolt back out. While spectating Mayor West's alignment being done I don't believe that heim joint was adjusted anyway.

WYGoblin

Yeah when I put my bolt in the other way I had to start the nut as the bolt was coming through. Wasn't too bad, and I was still able to take it off to adjust the heims joint also.
20201217_203223.jpg

KSLunsfo

Yeah when I put my bolt in the other way I had to start the nut as the bolt was coming through. Wasn't too bad, and I was still able to take it off to adjust the heims joint also.
Yeah, the words "adjust the heim" worries me lol. Oh well, I'll just drop the rack again. Possibly shaving a mm or 2 off that surface next time...