Intro - new owner for RichRich’s Goblin

Zklonne

Hey guys, figure I should introduce myself as I may have some questions arising as I do little tweaks. I purchased Rich’s Goblin after he moved to Alaska and didn’t have a place for it anymore. I finally took delivery last week to Minnesota. This build is awesome and as anyone who met Rich or saw that car likely knows, a very clean and meticulous build. I would've loved to build my Goblin ground up but at this point in my life I just couldn’t scavenge up enough time and dedication to do a full build start to finish. I don’t have any huge plans to change anything but have some updates and tweaks planned to fit my riding style (mostly spirited street driving and longer distance rallies - first being MInneapolis to Madison to Chicago over 3 days in August).

First on the docket is looking like rear coilovers, full front windshield + wipers, roof rack, setting up a 12v dedicated switch fuse block for auxiliary items like a radar detector, phone charger, potentially seat heaters and digital gauge cluster setup).

Excited to be part of the goblin community!
Zach

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Zach, welcome to the forum. That very car is the reason I am on my own Goblin build adventure. When Rich lived out here in Phoenix, Mesa actually, I contacted him for a look at his car and for a ride. I was blown away and had to build one of my own.
You have a great car to start your own adventure and adding mods to make it your own. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ross

Goblin Guru
First on the docket is looking like rear coilovers, full front windshield + wipers, roof rack, setting up a 12v dedicated switch fuse block for auxiliary items like a radar detector, phone charger, potentially seat heaters and digital gauge cluster setup).
Congrats on your purchase, Zach.
The wipers, and 12v accessory power are stock circuits, so identify the stock wire locations and connect new wires is all that is needed. I kept my 2 stock accessory ports (cigarette lighter ports) in my harness specifically for my GPS, and radar detector.
Seat heaters is a mod that I also want to do, they are about 5 amps each seat for 2 heaters (back and bum) so the radio amplifier circuit should be plenty of power. There are quite a few unused circuits in the fusebox after we gutted the electrical wires, so you just need to identify an unused circuit in the fusebox or BCM, and run a wire to whatever you need (gauge cluster, etc).

Brian74

Goblin Guru
He has a good, solid build. I’ve ridden in that car a few times, as well even wired up his liquid intercooler fan relay. You’ll have a lot of fun with it.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The Crown Rally? That's a great event for a good cause, it's Shriners Hospital this year I believe? There's some really great roads through the 'driftless zone' on that first day, will be a hoot! :D

Last edited:

Zklonne

Thanks everyone! Crown Rally is correct, glad someone is familiar with it! I was a co-pilot last year in a 1000 hp Camaro, which was fun and slightly terrifying but the Goblin will be wayyy more intense on the twisties and will definitely be a sure hit with the kids at Shriners Hospital. That has been the last stop on the rally (and one of the charities we fundraiser for, along with Epilepsy Foundation and a few others) for a few years now. For the second year we will also be stopping at the Joliet Autobahn road course for a private track event, which I am quite excited for as road courses are fairly sparse up here and who wouldn’t want to get on a track with a bunch of exotic cars

GPfan

Hi Zach. From your first post, sounds like you were with the Crown Rally group. I'm just now starting to research the Goblin kit and an really interested in seeing one up close. I've been to lots of car meets and have participated in autox but have never seen a Goblin. Right now, I've got 2 toys in the garage and my wife is giving me the stink eye about another toy taking up space. I'm using the excuse of a father and son project to justify this lol.

Anyway, I hope to see you around.

David

Zklonne

Hi Zach. From your first post, sounds like you were with the Crown Rally group. I'm just now starting to research the Goblin kit and an really interested in seeing one up close. I've been to lots of car meets and have participated in autox but have never seen a Goblin. Right now, I've got 2 toys in the garage and my wife is giving me the stink eye about another toy taking up space. I'm using the excuse of a father and son project to justify this lol.

Anyway, I hope to see you around.

David
Are you in the Twin Cities area? Or remotely close? I just wrote up a post on the Crown Rally experience this year. It'll be in the garage for a bit until I figure out why I blew up 3 CV axles throughout the rally - but always down to meet up and go for a drive and whatnot if you want to see it!

GPfan

Are you in the Twin Cities area? Or remotely close? I just wrote up a post on the Crown Rally experience this year. It'll be in the garage for a bit until I figure out why I blew up 3 CV axles throughout the rally - but always down to meet up and go for a drive and whatnot if you want to see it!
Yes sir! I'm in the south burbs not too far from the Minnesota zoo. I'm sorry to read that about your car. I would love to meet! I'm always finding excuses to drive my cars somewhere. I've got a Jaguar F Type and a Datsun 280ZX, so they're both fun for different reasons. I usually hang out with a small group of car enthusiasts in my area, but we go all over.

Zklonne

I saw one on FB, but you went through 3?? Were they all the same side?
Yeah 3 total - luckily they’re not terrible to replace but a little difficult to source and at $150 a piece they aren’t exactly cheap to burn through. All passenger side at the wheel and look to be caused by overheating in the CV joint.

Zklonne

Yes sir! I'm in the south burbs not too far from the Minnesota zoo. I'm sorry to read that about your car. I would love to meet! I'm always finding excuses to drive my cars somewhere. I've got a Jaguar F Type and a Datsun 280ZX, so they're both fun for different reasons. I usually hang out with a small group of car enthusiasts in my area, but we go all over.
Ooo both of those sound like a good bit of fun! I’m in Minnetonka so not too far. Once I’m back on the road again I’ll hit you up and we can figure a time to meet up and burn some gas!

GPfan

I was just in that area a week or 2 ago cruising around and making my way to Wayzata. Thought about grabbing lunch or dinner at the COV. I might have to hang out there in the area more often since there always seems to be gorgeous cars there.