Is HP Tuners worth it?

Lando217

Hey guys Iv been debating back and forth for the past few months to get HP tuners or not. At the moment all I want to do it fix the sensitivity of throttle in 1st gear and a little in second. I don’t know yet if I will upgrade items on the engine in the future yet but I am leaving that option open.

To purchase hp tuners with credits is $360 plus a cheap windows laptop for turning cause I only have Mac, $220. Totaling around $600. That’s not including taking the time to learn tunning.
Zzp says they can reflash my ecu to take care of the sensitivity of the throttle and adjust other items for the goblin for $200

I am leaning towards zzp option for now untill I am ready to upgrade parts and do tuning. (Which won’t be this year)

I just wanted to hear if anyone had advise or words of wisdom to change my mind. Thanks

Ross

Goblin Guru
What donor do you have? You don't have it in your signature... but in my signature is a link showing how to create yourself a signature.
The reason I ask is if you have an LNF, you get a stock wideband oxygen sensor, but if you have an LSJ, you need to buy one. $180ish.
HP Tuners is a tool that can log your test runs, and you need the wideband O2 sensor in those logs to be able to tell if your engine is running rich or lean.

If you only want to fix that one thing, and plan never to modify your engine again, then ZZP is probably a good investment.
I have HP Tuners, and still haven't gotten rid of the sensitive throttle in my LSJ. It is much better, but still a little bit touchy. I have learned to drive with it before I have learned to fix it completely with HPT. I am not sure if ZZP can completely tune it out either.

I bought HPT and a AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband and have turned off dash warning lights, removed notifications from the OBDII scans (Lost communication with the airbag computer, emission warnings, etc), have retuned my engine for the short DF intake, and the short DF exhaust. I have tuned the MAF sensor, the VE tables, and the spark advance, which takes many test drives, and time, but you end up with a better tune than a full throttle dyno session at a tuner shop. I have a bunch of tuner parts to put on my engine, that will take advantage of the HPT purchase I made, but I am making sure the engine is strong and the car's suspension is ready before I put them in. No hurry if you own HPT, you can tune when you want, as often as you want. I plan to have an E85 tune, and a gasoline tune, and be able to install them as I need.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I would get it. Its the most commonplace and modern tuning tool out there for our cars. Most shops will likely use it to collaborate with ZZP. There really aren’t too many other options. HP Tuners really dug in on Delphi ECM (supercharged Cobalts) and added numerous options (TDM disable, check engine light disable, ect.) Even with the turbo/load calc algorhythms, its still the best choice.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I would not recommend a remote tune only, especially if the remote tune is locked (which is a thing nowadays :rolleyes:). Pony up on HPTuners and head over to the tuning section on the forum and diy! it's truely not that complicated.

Throttle sensitivity for an LNF is touched on here, but it's likely similar for the lsj if that's what you have.

Last edited:

Lando217

What donor do you have? You don't have it in your signature... but in my signature is a link showing how to create yourself a signature.
The reason I ask is if you have an LNF, you get a stock wideband oxygen sensor, but if you have an LSJ, you need to buy one. $180ish.
HP Tuners is a tool that can log your test runs, and you need the wideband O2 sensor in those logs to be able to tell if your engine is running rich or lean.

If you only want to fix that one thing, and plan never to modify your engine again, then ZZP is probably a good investment.
I have HP Tuners, and still haven't gotten rid of the sensitive throttle in my LSJ. It is much better, but still a little bit touchy. I have learned to drive with it before I have learned to fix it completely with HPT. I am not sure if ZZP can completely tune it out either.

I bought HPT and a AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband and have turned off dash warning lights, removed notifications from the OBDII scans (Lost communication with the airbag computer, emission warnings, etc), have retuned my engine for the short DF intake, and the short DF exhaust. I have tuned the MAF sensor, the VE tables, and the spark advance, which takes many test drives, and time, but you end up with a better tune than a full throttle dyno session at a tuner shop. I have a bunch of tuner parts to put on my engine, that will take advantage of the HPT purchase I made, but I am making sure the engine is strong and the car's suspension is ready before I put them in. No hurry if you own HPT, you can tune when you want, as often as you want. I plan to have an E85 tune, and a gasoline tune, and be able to install them as I need.
I am sorry, it’s an 08 LNF stock. You made a lot of good points that I have never thought of. I do like the idea of going at my own pace and if I ever need to change something, I can

For Mac users, it's easy to load Windows via BootCamp and run HPT via that Windows instance.
My Mac lap used to have boot camp. It’s also 8 years old now and just use it for work. Boot camp was too much for it now lol. I am liking the idea of having a dedicated computer. Thanks for the advice.

I think you guys convinced me to get hp tuners lol what’s an another $400 on a $16000 build car lol
I really appreciate all the advice, it seems like that route is the best over all. I am sure I’ll be back with questions on the tuning forum once I get everything set up!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
$16,000...to start with. You will have a lot more than that into it if you spend enough time on the forum like many of us. Too many modifications and great ideas floating around to not spend the money on to get your Goblin the way you want it. :D

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I am NOT a fan of ZZP tuning. I know some people are and probably don't care for my comments at times. I just don't believe they can "properly" tune your car by you sending the ECM to them. Once you understand how to set it up for data logging and doing tuning, you'll understand what I'm talking about. My donor had a ZZP tune and I compared it to a stock tune, so I know what they do (at least on the SS/SC). It was not "tuning", it was tweaking. So spending $200 will get you changes to your ECM, but what if you need more changes, etc? How many times to you want to ship it to them or get the remote tuning? But take the time to learn HP Tuners and don't just go changing things that you "think" will make it better. Know what you are doing or ask before doing. There are a lot of smart guys on here and the YouTube that can help. Besides, once you do, you will feel so much more accomplished, I know I did!

Last edited:

Lando217

I am NOT a fan of ZZP tuning. I know some people are and probably don't care for my comments at times. I just don't believe they can "properly" tune you car by you sending the ECM to them. Once you understand how to set it up for data logging and doing tuning, you'll understand what I'm talking about. My donor had a ZZP tune and I compared it to a stock tune, so I know what they do (at least on the SS/SC). It was not "tuning", it was tweaking. So spending $200 will get you changes to your ECM, but what if you need more changes, etc? How many times to you want to ship it to them or get the remote tuning? But take the time to learn HP Tuners and don't just go changing things that you "think" will make it better. Know what you are doing or ask before doing. There are a lot of smart guys on here and the YouTube that can help. Besides, once you do, you will feel so much more accomplished, I know I did!
I am about to purchase HP tuners as were speaking. After some more reading and research i do not feel as "afraid" to tackle the learning curve of HPT. I have really appreciate the idea of being able to tweak anything that's needs to be tweaked when i want.
In the long run getting the Ecm "tuned" zap will probably cost me more if i did it multiple times.
The Great write up by Optimize Prime about using HPT if fantastic for someone starting out and i can't wait for other write ups. Plus Even more of a justification for HPT purchase is that i can use it on future project cars i always have in the back of my head. lol Thanks a lot for your advice.