It's very loud

PHENDERSON

I feel like this thing is obnoxiously loud. I have the regular DF exhaust. No leaks. Is there any solution to making it quieter? I'm mostly concerned that I'm annoying the neighborhood when I start it up otherwise I wouldn't care.

PHENDERSON

I just watched a bunch of first start videos on YouTube and mine seems significantly louder. Maybe it's the ZZP headers, maybe I do have a leak somewhere?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’m sure the ZZP header makes it louder, but you can’t compare yours to videos on YouTube. A microphone doesn’t capture the audio the same as in real life. Microphones have a certain frequency range that they can accurately pic up and I’m sure a lot of the use videos are using cell phones.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Mine's quite loud, without sounding like an angry bee in a tin can like all the kids' Civics. Bless DF for choosing a muffler that does NOT have that sound.

Dsteinhorst

I have the 3" exhaust on my supercharged 2.2 and it's very loud. Even the 2" exhaust was louder than I liked. I'm going to add a couple resonators in the off-season.

Dsteinhorst

Installing an exhaust cone can help quite the exhaust note at lower RPMs while not impeding exhaust flow at middle to high RPMs. Very easy to add into a tube header too. :cool:
Although they seem to have mixed reviews, I may give one of these a shot. Thanks for the tip.

I understand others are just making friendly jokes, but many of us ride with kids and family, and are cognizant of our neighbors. A loud exhaust tends to be the antithesis of enjoying our Goblins. The exhaust noise is essentially my only complaint, and I acknowledge I'm responsible for finding a solution. I appreciate others for participating constructively in that discussion.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I know I kid a bit, but I agree, it’s a little loud for “normal” driving. I use higher gears in the neighborhood to keep the rpm down and the volume lower. I do the same with my motorcycles. My whole neighborhood loaded with gearheads (Airfield neighborhood), but I still try to keep the peace.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Kind why I haven’t taken the goblin to work in the am yet. I’ll leave that for night shifts right now.
I have to park my truck a certain way to keep the exhaust pointed away from the neighbors houses on cold mornings when I remote start it, it kicks in high idle and sounds like a Jet taking off. Talked to the neighbors and they don’t mind, at least that’s what they tell me lol.

Dale E

Oh boy!! A new acoustic attenuation project for me or someone to work on! Already have some rough measurements and designs. But, that's for another day.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have to park my truck a certain way to keep the exhaust pointed away from the neighbors houses on cold mornings when I remote start it, it kicks in high idle and sounds like a Jet taking off.
mine does that, too. It’s like the perfect rpm where the turbo is it’s loudest and engine is still quiet. Most awesome noise ever. :cool:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Oh boy!! A new acoustic attenuation project for me or someone to work on! Already have some rough measurements and designs. But, that's for another day.
Another project I need to get back on. Still have the stuff you gave me on project bench #2. :D

PHENDERSON

Glad to know it isn't just me then. I put the old cast iron exhaust manifold on and it made no difference so it's not the ZZP header. It's just loud, very loud. I don't know if I should pack the pipe with steel wool or something. I wish I was a welder so I could build an exhaust with more length/bends and add some resonators to it. I'm sure it would cost a small fortune having someone do it for me.