Jacob's Ext Track Goblin - 09 SS Donor #394

Lonewolf170

Hey All. My name's Jacob from the Chicago area. Been following DF since I first saw the kit car on Demo ranch and been wanting to build one as I got more into racing.

Finally, last year got the funds and pulled the trigger on a clean 09 SS. With the used car market and trying to find stuff on copart near me was a chore and probably overpaid for a donor and would get hung out to dry by the SS fan boys. Picked her up on the facebook marketplace. Main draw was the fresh engine, lack of rust, and goodies that I hopefully can sell to recoup some of the cost. Body has 93k on it with a new engine installed March of last year.

My kit is #394, has hit the rotiserre, invoiced, and ready for pickup after 4/25. Probably should start tearing apart the donor...

Below is the facebook ad:

***RUST FREE*** 2009 Chevy cobalt. It has a brand new motor with about 1300 miles on it. It has a brand new set of Enkie wheels and nitto nt555g2. It just got both the lower control arms replaced with new rear factory Billstien shocks. It also had the front struts replaced less than a year ago. It is lowered on Megan springs with zzp rotated trans mounts and steering rack spacers. It has a Megan down pipe that was installed a little over a year ago. It has brand new brakes all around with brand new brembo calipers. There is nothing this car needs. It currently is boosting at 24Ilbs.

Parts list * Motor with less than 2k miles Bilstien shocks Megan lower springs Front struts Lowering springs Lower control arms Ottp short throw shifter Stock rpd gauge Transmission cables Turbo Tuned ecu by zzp Stage 1 gm sensors Injen intake Big injen intercooler upgrade Zzp rotated transmission mount Steering rack spacers Enkie wheels Nitto nt555g2 Brembo calipers Brakes

Look forward to building and being part of the family,
Jacob

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome Jacob. Nice donor, you should be able to use most everything off the donor for your build. Definitely not a rust belt car from the photos.
Be aware that the Illinois Nazis - DMV - will not register your Goblin and be prepared to go through the Montana LLC registration process. There is lots of information on the forum about this and plenty of other Goblin owners who can talk you through the process.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
Hey All. My name's Jacob from the Chicago area. Been following DF since I first saw the kit car on Demo ranch and been wanting to build one as I got more into racing.
Welcome!

I am just over an hour West of you out near Belvidere. I'll be going through the Montana registration process in the near future, as I hope to be finishing up my build in the next several weeks. I'll let you know if there are any IL-specific issues that pop up during that process.

Main draw was the fresh engine, lack of rust, and goodies that I hopefully can sell to recoup some of the cost.
You shouldn't have any problem selling what you don't use. I've had buyers from IL, WI, and MI for many of the parts I sold with one guy driving 6 hours for the trunk, rear bumper, and a few other miscellaneous pieces.

I haven't recouped the entire cost of my donor like some have, but once my exhaust sells I'll be under $1k for net donor cost. I'm happy with that because I got coilovers and a turbo swap included with all the regular LSJ stuff I needed.

Lonewolf170

Well at least its not a SS sedan...lol very nice donor, hope you have as much fun building yours as I did building mine.
I'm not that crazy!
Welcome to the forum! Very nice donor, almost too nice to dismantle.
Thanks! It's been fun learning to drive manual on it. Time for it to serve it's purpose.
Lol. I cut a 09 SS Sedan up into 5 pieces. They were not happy with me
I didn't realize you had a sedan when viewing your log. My view is I bought it, I can do what I want. Haters should have got to it first. haha.
Welcome Jacob. Nice donor, you should be able to use most everything off the donor for your build. Definitely not a rust belt car from the photos.
Be aware that the Illinois Nazis - DMV - will not register your Goblin and be prepared to go through the Montana LLC registration process. There is lots of information on the forum about this and plenty of other Goblin owners who can talk you through the process.
Have been looking at the Montana route for a long time since I've read everything about IL and these cars. hoping the process will be quick/easy.
Welcome!

I am just over an hour West of you out near Belvidere. I'll be going through the Montana registration process in the near future, as I hope to be finishing up my build in the next several weeks. I'll let you know if there are any IL-specific issues that pop up during that process.

You shouldn't have any problem selling what you don't use. I've had buyers from IL, WI, and MI for many of the parts I sold with one guy driving 6 hours for the trunk, rear bumper, and a few other miscellaneous pieces.

I haven't recouped the entire cost of my donor like some have, but once my exhaust sells I'll be under $1k for net donor cost. I'm happy with that because I got coilovers and a turbo swap included with all the regular LSJ stuff I needed.
I saw you weren't too far from me in the location post that was going on. We will have to ride together once the builds are done.
I doubt I'll recoup even close to my donor cost but I offset the cost by driving the donor while my daily was out of commission when I sent the ECU off to be tuned so saved rental car money.

Lonewolf170

Oh okay! I work in Rockford so I'm not too far from Sluggonaut. Have you considered coming out to Rockford for some of their Autocross events?
Once the goblin is together for sure. I used to autocross and race my daily in Joliet but broke some stuff last year (oops) so getting into a dedicated vehicle with the goblin.

I also thought you had sold your goblin? Was I thinking of someone else or did you build another?

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Once the goblin is together for sure. I used to autocross and race my daily in Joliet but broke some stuff last year (oops) so getting into a dedicated vehicle with the goblin.

I also thought you had sold your goblin? Was I thinking of someone else or did you build another?
It was for sale but ended up not selling it. I wanted to build another one. I'll build another one some day and then sell off my frame after everything is swapped over.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
On this episode of what's under the seats!
The missing fob
A book with prior owners paycheck
Fifty one cents!
1/9888 limited production model car (broken)
Tensioner pulley?
I love those reports!
Should be it’s own sticky thread here. :)

Lonewolf170

The kit came yesterday and I'm so far behind in the teardown! Ahhh.

Finally got the subframe bolts out, but trying to do the steering bolt removal and can't seem to get a ratchet around the head. Is there a special tool or different way? Attached is image of bolt.

IMG_20220514_122251.jpg

Been noticing alot of differences between the video and my car in terms of socket size but they've been helpful.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
That bolt in the steering doesn’t appear to be stock. If it’s not too stuck you could probably get it with an open end wrench.

Lonewolf170

That bolt in the steering doesn’t appear to be stock. If it’s not too stuck you could probably get it with an open end wrench.
Agree doesn't look stock. I'm wondering if it was replaced when the new engine went in. Sadly can't get my wrench on it. Totally unsure how they tightened it. I may cut the bolt in half at the pinch joint and worry about it later.