James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Did you record your tire pressures?
adjust them that day at all?
Does not look like you got to the inside edge either.
Yeah check that for sure, When I had my tires mounted they pumped all 4 of mine up to like 36PSI. I took them down to 22rear 20front. contact patch seems much better.

Nuker-

jamesm

Goblin Guru
They are still at 34-36 psi. I’ve been reading up on setting the pressures for maximum grip so I’m going to start logging the pressures and temps at the next event.

I see a lot of oversteer in most corners so I’m curious as to how much the tire pressures will affect that.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
They are still at 34-36 psi. I’ve been reading up on setting the pressures for maximum grip so I’m going to start logging the pressures and temps at the next event.

I see a lot of oversteer in most corners so I’m curious as to how much the tire pressures will affect that.
OH!!!!! You are running on bricks!!! ;)

Obviously every tire and wheel is different, but I have found 16 psi Rear, 12 psi front gets near the edges in autoX with no passenger.
I run Proxes R1R, 275/40/17. For now. :)

Keep good records as you change the inflation pressures and you will get it dialed in.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Speaking of changes,...
I found out Sunday that there are two other groups that run autocrosses at the same location that the SCCA group uses so I'm signing up for several of their events.
Okay... who and where are autocrosses near us? I'm not scared of ditches, but mad Max is.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Okay... who and where are autocrosses near us? I'm not scared of ditches, but mad Max is.
@Ross, basically every other weekend at Crowder College in Neosho. Some with 4-State Vettes, some with Ozark Z Club, and some with SCCA. I'm planning to do every one (depending from weather) between now and mid October.

Crowder has a great location. It's out away from town. We use their truck driving pads. Wide open lots.: https://goo.gl/maps/cADrKiEhPV7DERBz9

Event List:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ya. Using Toyo r888r and my last settings for autocross was 11.5f/13.5r “hot”. Rears seem set just about right, fronts will probably go lower next time, probably 11 or 10.5. Not even rolling them yet.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I built a template so I'm capturing the same data run to run but it feels like I'm missing a data point or two...

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The funny part is, we have to work at getting our tires hot and the Miata guys have to water theirs down to keep them cool.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
shock dampener setting?
ambient temperature?
But do not change more than one variable at a time per run.
The lap time may not reflect a lot. You may feel really good and just miss a cone or two and be slower for that run even though your new settings are better.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. I log ambient temperature and shock settings too.

I gave up on tire temp, because it was never high and didn’t change much. Tire pressure changed a little, but settled down after a few runs. Now I’m more dialed in on the tires, I’m going to experiment more with shock settings.

which reminds me, I need to adjust my brake proportioning valve with a little more power to the rear.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Good call on the shock settings. I have the standard DF coilovers on the front but I'm still running factory type struts on the rear. Guess I'll have to start planning for rear coilover upgrades.....

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Today was a good day of autocrossing. I started at 24 PSI on all 4 corners. We checked the pressure after each lap and saw ~3 PSI increase. The last 2 laps, I dropped down to 22 PSI. I’m still getting some wheel spin in a couple places but the oversteer is much, much better. Now it’s more like a controlled drift and less of a complete loss of control. While I see a ton more contact across the surface of the tire, I’m still not seeing any sidewall rub so I think I’m going to try 18-20 PSI tomorrow.

I moved my GoPro and wouldn’t you know it, it works like a champ now…

@Ross came up to the event too. It was super cool to have another goblin in the field.

F9EA34E6-8583-4788-B438-E4738335CFB9.jpeg 1FDF1FA1-7468-4B6C-9671-CA8C7C8FDC25.jpeg AB4E9704-77E2-457C-B54F-DA0A8AF212FD.jpeg 55950702-EF10-42F4-9339-42D3BCFFC749.jpeg

Run videos
https://youtu.be/FhHhbIxxrzo

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Awesome day!!!!
Goblins will slowly take over the world......
Double loop course? Only one car on course then at a time. Some really tight turns.
Keep going lower on the tire pressure until you get to the side wall.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Awesome day!!!!
Goblins will slowly take over the world......
Double loop course? Only one car on course then at a time. Some really tight turns.
Keep going lower on the tire pressure until you get to the side wall.
Yeah. That sharp corner opposite of the start was super tight. Almost everyone drifted or slid around.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I’m down to 11ish front and 13 rear. There‘s room to play. We are so light, “normal” tire pressures so not apply. We get to run tomorrow.

good runs.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I didn’t get to run today. We got a fair amount of rain so the track had quite a bit of standing water. We didn’t even unload. We waited for about an hour but there was still some light rain so we came home

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Is the S-10 in the Other Builds section? Just curious because I want to know more about the project.
I don’t have a build log for it. I’ve been poorly documenting the build on Instagram.

It’s a 2000 S-10 Extreme extended cab with a 4.3l v6. It will have a warbird theme, based on a p-40:
B58D67F6-616B-48E0-9187-E8FE87374D30.jpeg 2D04EBA5-B3E2-4025-B127-71569FF048BF.jpeg

When I originally got it, the plan was to do a quick and dirty air bag job and install an obnoxiously loud stereo. As we started prepping it, we found so many little issues that we ended up doing a full rebuild. The motor had an oil leak, probably for years. It was caked to the frame and underside of everything. To exacerbate the issue, the previous owner lived on a powdery dirt road so the oil was almost like concrete in some places.

I started looking for the oil leak and finally decided it’d be easier to just pull the motor and rebuild it. When I took it to the machine shop to get hot dipped, the old guy there said he’d never seen one caked up so bad…

I monster notched the rear frame, installed bags on all 4 corners, rebuild the engine, fixed a rusty cab corner, welded the tailgate on, and notched out the bed.

On the To-do side, I need to finish fitting the new wheel tubs and weld them in, fab a tunnel for the rear axle, finish mounting the air system in the bed. Once the last of the fab work is done, I’ll be able to repaint it and reassemble. I know I’ll have some more fab work when I reassemble the front end as I had to remove the original fender wells to make room for the tires.

I’m sure there are better ways to do some of the stuff I did, but I consider this to be my “learner project”. I’ve never done this type of fab work before. It’s been a good experience.

21459E16-D682-4ACB-B2B8-56F311994CD3.jpegD94FE1F5-427C-4D8E-B1E6-3611423B6535.jpeg2F8D4165-ED40-42EA-B039-E3B4A112B361.jpeg401D5F04-CF04-477A-B8EE-71372DB6A003.jpeg0028C55D-45FA-4830-A166-380D0DF85EBE.jpeg6C6A06B0-E166-4DD8-BF1A-9B78F33B8F1B.jpeg12D56247-DA18-468E-8A00-D6E46429A6BB.jpegCB112BC2-F7D5-4E9C-A04B-45CB7A32107B.jpeg