James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Cool. I had a flatbed trailer nearly get away from me on the interstate a while back so I'm super paranoid about loading stuff now.
As you know, keep 10% of the total weight on the tongue and they tow the best. I see so many trailers loaded wrong and some people have now clue.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Looks great! And the car just fits.
Thanks. The only REALLY tight spot is getting the front wheels past the cables on the gate. I was looking at the heim joints on the front and it looks like I can tighten them up a touch to get a little clearance.

As you know, keep 10% of the total weight on the tongue and they tow the best. I see so many trailers loaded wrong and some people have now clue.
No doubt. I’ve seen some horrible piles on trailers. Sometimes it’s small changes too. When I had issues, we only moved the car like 6” more forward and it smoothed it out. I was really surprised that it was that sensitive.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
No doubt. I’ve seen some horrible piles on trailers. Sometimes it’s small changes too. When I had issues, we only moved the car like 6” more forward and it smoothed it out. I was really surprised that it was that sensitive.
Exactly!. When I haul my 4000lbs tractor with loader, etc. I can tell the difference between inches of where it is on the trailer.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Those big autocross courses need more cones. I am still trying to figure out where the course is.
Looks like you had fun.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Heh. Part of the wonky overlays is my go-pro being dumb. Half the time it doesn't even capture GPS tracking even though it's mounted where it has clear access to the sky and I turn it on in plenty of time to acquire a signal.

That track definitely could have used more cones but I know it's a pain to set them all up and tear it down. Both of my DNFs were due to me missing gates. I also need to walk the course more. I did it a couple of times but there were other folks walking with me giving me pointers.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Got the new tires mounted and installed. One of the guys at the tire shop asked me what they went on. He got excited when I told him a Goblin. He'd seen them on youtube.

View attachment 24655View attachment 24653

They are definitely sticky :)
View attachment 24654
What camber are you running front and rear? I have the 15in version of your tire and I've experienced that -1.8 front and -1.5 rear camber has been too aggressive.
When you go autocross, tire crayon or shoe polish dab a spot on the outside shoulder of each tire before a run in this area of the tire.
It can help identify if camber and tire pressures are close to optimal.
Curious to see how your tires work out for you.
16239502882123350437686468468456.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
What camber are you running front and rear? I have the 15in version of your tire and I've experienced that -1.8 front and -1.5 rear camber has been too aggressive.
When you go autocross, tire crayon or shoe polish dab a spot on the outside shoulder of each tire before a run in this area of the tire.
It can help identify if camber and tire pressures are close to optimal.
Curious to see how your tires work out for you.
I had the Sumitomo's at about 1.2°. I originally had them at 1.5 but it was too much. The outside tread never touched the ground.

I need to read up a little more on tire pressures. I see some folks running lower pressures, and some running higher. I have a small air compressor in my trailer so my plan right now is to make a couple runs, then adjust one way and see how it does. I know there's some basic physics that I can learn from reading but until I actually try it, I won't really know what it's going to do.

Where did you go through to get em? I just tried ordering some through tire rack and they told me backorder for the next few months... seems like a lot of places are on back order for stuff
I got them from tire rack. They were in stock and shipped super fast. Mine are 245/40R17. I wanted to get a wider tire but I can't find any bigger rims that I like that are in stock....

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Finally got to run another autocross on Sunday. It was hot but we had a good day. I forgot my gopro at home so I don't have any videos....

A big THANK YOU! to all of y'all that suggested drawing and marking the route on paper. It made the track much easier to navigate when I was driving.

http://instagr.am/p/CRxVudXsBjW/

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Speaking of changes, I'm probably going to pull some more camber out. I'm running around 1.2° right now and I think I'm going to back down to probably .5°. There's still a portion of the outside of the front tire that isn't making contact with the ground. I'm also going to start tracking before/after numbers for tire temps and pressures along with the run times.

I found out Sunday that there are two other groups that run autocrosses at the same location that the SCCA group uses so I'm signing up for several of their events.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Speaking of changes, I'm probably going to pull some more camber out. I'm running around 1.2° right now and I think I'm going to back down to probably .5°. There's still a portion of the outside of the front tire that isn't making contact with the ground. I'm also going to start tracking before/after numbers for tire temps and pressures along with the run times.

I found out Sunday that there are two other groups that run autocrosses at the same location that the SCCA group uses so I'm signing up for several of their events.
1.2 deg camber may be good for a narrow OEM tire, but if you put wider tires on, 0.5-0.7 works well.