Jared's Florida Road/Track Build - 06 SS/SC (#230)

jaredthenav

It feels like an honor to be joining this group! I picked up my donor and started stripping it this week; plan to order my kit next week.

I'm active duty Air Force navigator (previously C-130s, now small aircraft) who started getting into track/performance driving a half dozen years ago or so thanks to my uncle and cousin. My cousin spent a couple years building a Factory Five 818 and my uncle always has a few projects in the works. But not being as mechanically inclined as them, and living on the opposite coast, I've been intimidated to start a real project myself. Fortunately I had some time on my hands this spring while deployed (COVID slowed things down all over the world) and stumbled upon the Goblin. I was also anxious to have a real project to work on with my almost 13 year old son (and to a lesser extent, his 6 year old brother).

So after a couple months of looking, and getting back from my deployment earlier this month, I found this 06 SS/SC with 193k. It's very rough, but runs and drives. No engine codes. Looks to have an oil leak from where the engine meets the transmission (main seal?). I was planning on doing the clutch anyways. Also planning on doing the timing chain. Planning on getting an extended frame, full track cage kit and road trip out to Dallas to pick it up.

And really glad to notice a few more ongoing Florida builds and that Zoom zoom was able to register in Florida again. I'm in NW Florida between Pensacola and Destin.

Attachments

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Welcome! As you might have read, you have to pay sales tax if you go pick up the kit at DF, so make sure you do your research. Also, I'm a computer nerd, now manager, if I can put one of these (almost) together, then you can do it too! It'll be a fun time!

Motoracer110

wahoo! welcome, you have a nice looking donor. I had a blast taking mine apart im sure you will as well. Great group of people here and will help you along the way with any questions.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Welcome, I grew up in fort walton. My parents are still there, dad works on Eglin, he'll be excited to hear there will be a goblin running around soon.

benjy

Welcome! I thinking you’ll find the build process well documented and most questions are quickly resolved with a search or post.

What car have you been driving, and what type of events?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jared, welcome.

First, thank you for your service. Nice to have another Zoomie on board! I'm a former Eagle keeper, avionics and radar instructor - lots of great experience and memories from being in Uncle Sam's country club. ;)

Since no one has mentioned it yet - LABEL EVERYTHING - as you disassemble your donor and take more photos than you think you would ever need. This is very important since you will be stripping out much of the chassis wire harness and good to know what goes where.

Be sure to get your son involved early and let him do as much wrenching as possible. Maybe your father could be involved too and make this a three generation build project. :D

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
It feels like an honor to be joining this group! I picked up my donor and started stripping it this week; plan to order my kit next week.

I'm active duty Air Force navigator (previously C-130s, now small aircraft) who started getting into track/performance driving a half dozen years ago or so thanks to my uncle and cousin. My cousin spent a couple years building a Factory Five 818 and my uncle always has a few projects in the works. But not being as mechanically inclined as them, and living on the opposite coast, I've been intimidated to start a real project myself. Fortunately I had some time on my hands this spring while deployed (COVID slowed things down all over the world) and stumbled upon the Goblin. I was also anxious to have a real project to work on with my almost 13 year old son (and to a lesser extent, his 6 year old brother).

So after a couple months of looking, and getting back from my deployment earlier this month, I found this 06 SS/SC with 193k. It's very rough, but runs and drives. No engine codes. Looks to have an oil leak from where the engine meets the transmission (main seal?). I was planning on doing the clutch anyways. Also planning on doing the timing chain. Planning on getting an extended frame, full track cage kit and road trip out to Dallas to pick it up.

And really glad to notice a few more ongoing Florida builds and that Zoom zoom was able to register in Florida again. I'm in NW Florida between Pensacola and Destin.
Welcome from South Florida

jaredthenav

Thank you for your service! I've been reading other build logs and ordered a label maker last night! Thanks for the welcome.

Jared, welcome.

First, thank you for your service. Nice to have another Zoomie on board! I'm a former Eagle keeper, avionics and radar instructor - lots of great experience and memories from being in Uncle Sam's country club. ;)

Since no one has mentioned it yet - LABEL EVERYTHING - as you disassemble your donor and take more photos than you think you would ever need. This is very important since you will be stripping out much of the chassis wire harness and good to know what goes where.

Be sure to get your son involved early and let him do as much wrenching as possible. Maybe your father could be involved too and make this a three generation build project. :D

jaredthenav

Welcome! I thinking you’ll find the build process well documented and most questions are quickly resolved with a search or post.

What car have you been driving, and what type of events?
I had an 08 Subaru STi that I beat up in California while there; blew up my engine at LA Auto Club Speedway on the Roval, Streets of Willow, Buttonwillow, and a memorable weekend at Laguna Seca. I recently traded up to a 16 Cadillac ATS-V and ran it at the FIRM here in FL. Hoping to hit Barber later this year (unless I spend all my money on the Goblin:)).

jaredthenav

20200725_092744.jpg

Can anyone explain why the previous owners of my donor car would have plugged what I assume is another vent line? Any idea where it was supposed to go?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
View attachment 15720

Can anyone explain why the previous owners of my donor car would have plugged what I assume is another vent line? Any idea where it was supposed to go?
That goes to the boost bypass on the lower side. It can be removed and the lower side of the bypass vented to atmosphere. This prevents the ECM from limiting boost. But if that is not plugged, it will cause a vacuum leak at the manifold. Personally I would plug the hose on the other side of the solenoid (the right side in this picture). I think that when the solenoid is activated, because it's still plugged in, that it will vent the manifold to atmosphere via the port below the one that is plugged. I still need to verify that a second time. The first time I pulled the solenoid out of the car and bench tested it and all it does is switch the venting of the right side from the top port down to the bottom port.

At the moment, I have mine set up much like yours only I plugged both ports on the left. When I can prove to myself this is safe, I may remove the solenoid altogether and permanently plug the manifold port.

jaredthenav

That goes to the boost bypass on the lower side. It can be removed and the lower side of the bypass vented to atmosphere. This prevents the ECM from limiting boost. But if that is not plugged, it will cause a vacuum leak at the manifold. Personally I would plug the hose on the other side of the solenoid (the right side in this picture). I think that when the solenoid is activated, because it's still plugged in, that it will vent the manifold to atmosphere via the port below the one that is plugged. I still need to verify that a second time. The first time I pulled the solenoid out of the car and bench tested it and all it does is switch the venting of the right side from the top port down to the bottom port.

At the moment, I have mine set up much like yours only I plugged both ports on the left. When I can prove to myself this is safe, I may remove the solenoid altogether and permanently plug the manifold port.

View attachment 15724
Awesome, thanks. Let me know what you settle on.

Anks329

Making goof progress there! And the kids helped me beat the hood into submission with hammers when my donor was sitting in the driveway.

Be careful with these edges, I put an old blanket on it to make sure I or the kids didn't cut themselves on the corners.