Jared's Florida Road/Track Build - 06 SS/SC (#230)

Anks329

Glad you're ok. Great job with the harness. I wish I hadn't taped mine up while I was doing it. Would be much easier now to track down problems or fix issues that pop up. But you'll need to take it all back out to tape it down once you test everything.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I'm guessing you are sitting on the Intercoastal. Hopefully the damage was not too bad. By the way I see you are a C-130 Nav. A good friend of mine was a Nav on a BUFF before eventually retiring as a Colonel. We took some flight training at COMAIR in Sanford, FL back in the 90's. I retired as a 737 Captain in 2011 and I'm also a Flight Engineer from my 727 days. Getting really anxious to get our frames and get to work. We will have to meet in the middle sometime after we get them done.

jaredthenav

I'm about
I'm guessing you are sitting on the Intercoastal. Hopefully the damage was not too bad. By the way I see you are a C-130 Nav. A good friend of mine was a Nav on a BUFF before eventually retiring as a Colonel. We took some flight training at COMAIR in Sanford, FL back in the 90's. I retired as a 737 Captain in 2011 and I'm also a Flight Engineer from my 727 days. Getting really anxious to get our frames and get to work. We will have to meet in the middle sometime after we get them done.
We're 4 houses up from the water, so right by the intercoastal. See wall and retaining pond did their job and kept us high and dry. Cheers to a fellow Florida aviator!

jaredthenav

I've been going back and forth about powder coating my subframe and control arms alongside the frame. Part of me doesn't want to replace the bushings (while certainly warn, seems like they have enough life left for a 1500 lb car) and spend that money elsewhere. But I think it would look pretty cool to have it all be the same color... Thoughts?

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I agree with you there would be a cool factor. I have the aluminum control arms & I think they look pretty good polished up with a wire wheel. Almost look chromed. Now the sub frame would look pretty good in Powder-coat same color as the frame. I'm guessing maybe another $50-$100 to add the subframe to the paint job. I'm going to consider that myself.

vipergeek

I'm about

We're 4 houses up from the water, so right by the intercoastal. See wall and retaining pond did their job and kept us high and dry. Cheers to a fellow Florida aviator!
Glad to hear you weathered the storm. My daughter and son-in-law also live in Navarre about a mile north of 98 and they came through OK too. He's a retired USAF Chief (Intell) who retired from Hurlburt a few years ago and my daughter teaches 4th grade at Gulf Point Academy. I'm also retired USAF. The next time we visit them I'd like to come see your car if that would be OK. I live about 45 minutes west of DFGoblin in Fort Worth and have been there to visit with Lonny and see the facility. He's an impressive individual and their facility is also. Fly Safe!

jaredthenav

I finally had a mechanic buddy come over to help walk me through the timing kit change. Sure enough, the factory guide bolt had failed but fortunately stayed mostly in text with only some minor gouging of the head.
20201003_162729.jpg
20201003_134832.jpg
20201003_140425.jpg

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Yikes. Looks like you dodged a bullet. I replaced all chains and the Phasers (87K on the engine) since the engine was out & it was fairly easy to do. Cheap insurance !!!

jaredthenav

CaptFrank made it to my place at 10:30 pm with my kit! Unloaded mine into the garage and they crashed at my place. Looking forward to unpacking this weekend then off to powder coat next week. Work can now begin on #227, #230, and #234 thanks to Frank. I'm convinced the Goblin community is as good as any other online group out there. Good people!

Last edited:

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
CaptFrank made it to my place at 10:30 pm with my kit! Unloaded mine into the garage and they crashed at my place. Looking forward to unpacking this weekend then off to powder coat next week. Work can now begin on #227, #230, and #234 thanks to Frank. I'm convinced the Goblin community is as good as any other online group out there. Good people!
Still doing the drive home, sitting in the passenger seat. About 2 1/2 hours to home another 160 miles. I will have Patrick’s frame number 234 sitting at my house waiting for him to pick up possibly next week. Thanks again to Jared for his hospitality and putting us up overnight

Last edited:

jaredthenav

Construction has officially begun!

I dropped off the frame with the powder coater and it should come back illusion sour Apple. Also painted the radiator, heat exchanger and a couple other parts. I'm going to go through more rattle cans of Eastwood gloss chassis black than I ever could have thought.

This week I need to order a new supercharger gasket (for some reason rock Auto sent the wrong size), exhaust header bolts, and serpentine belt and the engine will be ready to go in. I'm on the fence
about ceramic coating the header and exhaust.
20201111_153611.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Careful putting regular paint on the radiator and heat exchanger, since it will act as an insulator and make them much less efficient. There are special radiator paints that conduct heat that you will want to use.