Jared's Florida Road/Track Build - 06 SS/SC (#230)

jaredthenav

That goes to the boost bypass on the lower side. It can be removed and the lower side of the bypass vented to atmosphere. This prevents the ECM from limiting boost. But if that is not plugged, it will cause a vacuum leak at the manifold. Personally I would plug the hose on the other side of the solenoid (the right side in this picture). I think that when the solenoid is activated, because it's still plugged in, that it will vent the manifold to atmosphere via the port below the one that is plugged. I still need to verify that a second time. The first time I pulled the solenoid out of the car and bench tested it and all it does is switch the venting of the right side from the top port down to the bottom port.

At the moment, I have mine set up much like yours only I plugged both ports on the left. When I can prove to myself this is safe, I may remove the solenoid altogether and permanently plug the manifold port.

View attachment 15724
So I'm getting the engine ready to go into the frame once it comes back from powder. I got new hoses to plumb the supercharger bypass valve and solenoid and wondering if you've got any updated advice to above? I plumbed it exactly like it was when I got it but based on your pic and Ross', it looks like I have the bypass valve backwards, and the front of the solenoid backwards as well. Any opinion on plugging either port vs. open to the atmosphere?
20201114_195843.jpg

jaredthenav

Also, does anyone have a pic of the intercooler pump mount location? Mine was missing from the donor; the pump was just hanging by the hoses. It looks like there are two tapped bolt holes right under the intake, but I couldn't get the bracket to work with those holes with the dipstick. Does it need spacers? Considering just using the big cheap coated clamp that ZZP sells...
20201114_201009.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So I'm getting the engine ready to go into the frame once it comes back from powder. I got new hoses to plumb the supercharger bypass valve and solenoid and wondering if you've got any updated advice to above? I plumbed it exactly like it was when I got it but based on your pic and Ross', it looks like I have the bypass valve backwards, and the front of the solenoid backwards as well. Any opinion on plugging either port vs. open to the atmosphere?
Yeah your hoses are backwards on the solenoid. The intake vac line (short hose) will end up sucking it closed (which the spring in side is already pushing it closed) and the manifold vac/pressure (long hose) will not have enough vac to overcome the spring and vac from the short hose and to make it worse, the boost pressure when under boost will push it closed even more. Basically it can never open to bleed of pressure if the ECM calls for it.

I guess that's one way to disable it effectively. Ours is disabled currently and we could have accomplished the same thing by doing what you have.

So it depends on if you want if factory correct or modified. Yours may have been modified by the previous owner.

jaredthenav

Yeah your hoses are backwards on the solenoid. The intake vac line (short hose) will end up sucking it closed (which the spring in side is already pushing it closed) and the manifold vac/pressure (long hose) will not have enough vac to overcome the spring and vac from the short hose and to make it worse, the boost pressure when under boost will push it closed even more. Basically it can never open to bleed of pressure if the ECM calls for it.

I guess that's one way to disable it effectively. Ours is disabled currently and we could have accomplished the same thing by doing what you have.

So it depends on if you want if factory correct or modified. Yours may have been modified by the previous owner.
Thanks! I'll probably go back to factory and then adjust from there. Also, I found your engine pics and figured out how to get the intercooler pump bracket on. Thanks for a detailed build log! Now I just need to find a donor bolt that will fit.

jaredthenav

Also, I can remove that other solenoid next to the bypass solenoid right? I think it's part of the evap system? And can I strip out the plug?

Last edited:

jaredthenav

Pulled the hoses with the boat winch method. One son on the winch, the other playing ballast!
20201125_172720.jpg

Also tried to put the new serpentine belt (rock Auto) on the engine, and pretty sure the belt they sent is too small. And then the tensioner pulley broke. So ordered the LSJ belt from ZZP and a new tensioner pulley.

jaredthenav

Ok, I've gone through the forum and there doesn't seem to be a consensus about the utility of the valve cover breather, PCV valve going back to the intake; can I just get the valve cover breather, eliminate the tubing between the valve cover and intake, and cap off the two ports? I understand the vacuum system is more important in the turbo cars, but don't understand why vacuum is required under the valve cover. Plus the ZZP valve cover breather is on sale for black Friday.

Goblin Graber

Ok, I've gone through the forum and there doesn't seem to be a consensus about the utility of the valve cover breather, PCV valve going back to the intake; can I just get the valve cover breather, eliminate the tubing between the valve cover and intake, and cap off the two ports? I understand the vacuum system is more important in the turbo cars, but don't understand why vacuum is required under the valve cover. Plus the ZZP valve cover breather is on sale for black Friday.
I’m adding a supercharger on my 2.2 and I’ve got one of those ZZP breathers to put on it. Hopefully it doesn’t just puke oil. If it does I guess I’ll just swap it for a catch can. I’m not going to recirculate that crud in my motor. Did you look at how dirty the intercooler cores are in your intake?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Because venting to atmosphere will kill baby seals in southern Nairobi and we don’t want that.

Actually, pulling a vacuum on the PCV system helps ensure pressure don’t get too great under normal conditions, much more importantly with charged engines.........and the baby seal thing.