Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

SACTX

My initial thoughts on the issues you bring up are as follows:

The BCM is not designed to get wet in the cobalt so sealing it up is probably a good idea.

The ECU is already designed to be under the hood and is probably the least likely to be damaged by water.

I do not know for sure but it seems like the ignition would only be used on a key on/key off situation. It would not have power running through it continuously. It would be like getting Electronics wet and then letting them dry out before use...

I would not worry about the engine harness at all.

I wouldn’t worry about the air filter unless it is submerged. You have to think about the volume of air moving through the filter vs the volume of water. A little bit of rain and spray on the filter is not going to be enough to Hydrolock or cause damage to your engine. Not taking into account volumetric efficiencies, A 2l engine at 3000 RPMs moves 6000L worth of air per minute. Even a paper filter should not be a problem. I will have to tell you the story about my MX3 intake at lunch sometime and how an engineer made me feel really good 23 years ago. If you don’t want it to get dirty, it shouldn’t be hanging out the side of your car :)

As you would say, Goblin on, only slightly less damp…

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. Bcm and fuse box would be my biggest concerns. In theory, the ecm has sealed connectors, so it should be fine, but the bcm is protected being inside the car (cobalt) and the fuse box can resist some water, but is fairly exposed, plus if you are missing the red + cover, it’s a pan east way for water to get in

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Beautiful day in Houston Texas for an AutoX. 100 or so SCCA drivers and TWO DF Goblins represented. Russel (Rttoys) had enough "shake down" runs around the countryside that he felt he could jump in with us today.

It was a good course layout that pushed the limits of the cars. After Russel watched my spin out in my first run (doh!), I guess he thought that was how it was done.....he proceeded to spun out in the same corner on his first run.... :)

I am still feeling for the limits and getting the feel for what the goblin can - and can't - do. My times did get closer to what some of the more experienced drivers were posting, but I still have a lot to learn. And yes, my son in his Miata beat me again today....... He really is a better driver than me. Cooper and I finished third and fourth in our class. When Russel gets comfortable in his supercharged Goblin, look out! Lonny - you and Adam are not very far away to come join us! :)

Looking forward to some of the other Goblin builders in the area to get running and join us. Our Goblins can unseat all those little Miata's that slide around the course so fast. And, it is always fun to beat all those very expensive BOUGHT cars.....

I hope that posts like this continue to energize all you guys still building out there!!!!

Goblin on friends, Goblin on!

DSCN4306.jpgDSCN4314.jpgDSCN4315.jpgDSCN4360.jpgDSCN4361.jpgDSCN4369.jpgDSCN4373.jpgDSCN4380.jpgIMG_9147.jpgIMG_9148.jpg

Classy

Oh man, no tire warm up hurt y’all, coop can get it! He is sooo aggressive with that Miata! He really built some heat in the tires during that run!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
More fun autoX'ing this weekend.
Really fast course. Slaloms and two hard corners.

The two Goblins present (Rttoys Russel) and I are getting better. The fastest lap was about 49 sec. We got our times down to 54 sec with a few last ones at 52 sec. And, the old guys actually beat my son in his sup'd up Miata. :)

I did make a few suspension changes through the day. I had the rear shocks at 5 clicks from zero. Left that one alone. The front started out at 12, and finished at full. Since the course was almost all slalom, that helped.

I had tire pressures at 14 rear, and 12 front. Seemed to be close to a good point.

Another fun day in the Goblin!

62587288701__76EF8A31-EF05-4501-BB3B-A773B0805D08.JPGIMG_9321.jpgIMG_9324.jpgIMG_9325.jpgIMG_9326.jpgIMG_9329.PNGIMG_9330.PNG

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s all about the wing. :eek:

without corrected timing for the handicap, we ran 1, 2, 3 :cool: I even had a spectacular oh **** moment. Coming around the last cone, I overly goosed it and was spinning sideways. In a fraction of a second, I had to decide if i was going to “save” it by taking out the timing marker and finish comes, or head for the runoff area. I chose the runoff. :D

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

without corrected timing for the handicap, we ran 1, 2, 3 :cool: I even had a spectacular oh **** moment. Coming around the last cone, I overly goosed it and was spinning sideways. In a fraction of a second, I had to decide if i was going to “save” it by taking out the timing marker and finish comes, or head for the runoff area. I chose the runoff. :D

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0
I never get tired of "riding along" with these on-board perspective videos. And this one! The electronic timer station!! Look out!!! That would be more than a few second penalty for knocking down........
A wing would have added enough down force to keep you stuck to the pavement. Maybe.... Not..... ;)

Last edited:

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Boy I can’t believe how much that wing has improved your track time LOL

I want to come play with you guys, Looks like a lot of fun

SACTX

Nice save!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Course designer should be relieved of his duties...who puts a finish gate in a corner?? You're just asking to have the timing gear wiped out!
agreed!
Last time it was a brand new Acura NSX that just barely missed it. Of course he could probably easily pay for a new timer...... :)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Agreed. There was not a straight shot to the finish. I’m surprised it didn’t get messy at the finish.