Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Don't want to clutter up the LNF thread too much. And want document the events going forward here in my build log.

A little background. Engine has 86k total - about 4k in the Goblin.
All stock except for a tune upping the boost to 25 psi. This has probably exacerbated any issues.
Smoke in the exhaust has been noticeable for a while (10 months) but has slowly been getting worse. Smoke in the exhaust cleared up when I bypassed the PCV temporarily and vented to atmosphere rather than dumping back into the intake. The video shows there is continuous bypass from the crank case.
A new turbo installed recently seemed to actually make the smoking issue worse.
Quite a bit of exhaust from the oil fill cap when open, too. Although, I am not sure what exactly is a good baseline here. See video.

Here is my compression data:
cyl 1 - 140
cy 2 - 115
cyl 3 - 135
cyl 4 - 75
Not good at all.

Spark plugs actually looked fairly clean. See pic.

Did the colored dye test to check for exhaust intrusion into the coolant system - failed head gasket or cracked block. No color change of the dye. All good there.

Diagnosis at this point is blow by at the rings.

All you guys and gals who are smarter than me have any input / suggestions / questions here? Chime in, please.

IMG_2016.jpgIMG_2018.jpg

https://youtube.com/shorts/5Ls0xZ-66L8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/sHXoW2A26PI?feature=share

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Given the low compression in cyl 4 and the exhaust from the valve cover, it's either rings or a bad valve. Either way, you're probably looking at a rebuild.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
add a little oil to the cylinder and retest compression. If it goes up rings, if it stays the same, head. Of course either way the head is coming off, but if you want to get by cheaply, you might just rework the head if the rings are good.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
What about using a vacuum gage to see if it can tell you if it is a valve or ring problem on top of the compression test with oil.

Joe

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Maybe a broken ring in cylinder 4?
Do a leak down test to see if it is a valve issue.
Just did this with an Audi 2.0t earlier this year. Compressed air into the sparkplug hole and air was coming out of the exhaust at the back of the car. Just saying that checking is a good idea.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I am struggling to find the video that steps through replacement of the timing chain. Anyone have that bookmarked?

thanks.

Goblinfanclub1234

Don't want to clutter up the LNF thread too much. And want document the events going forward here in my build log.

A little background. Engine has 86k total - about 4k in the Goblin.
All stock except for a tune upping the boost to 25 psi. This has probably exacerbated any issues.
Smoke in the exhaust has been noticeable for a while (10 months) but has slowly been getting worse. Smoke in the exhaust cleared up when I bypassed the PCV temporarily and vented to atmosphere rather than dumping back into the intake. The video shows there is continuous bypass from the crank case.
A new turbo installed recently seemed to actually make the smoking issue worse.
Quite a bit of exhaust from the oil fill cap when open, too. Although, I am not sure what exactly is a good baseline here. See video.

Here is my compression data:
cyl 1 - 140
cy 2 - 115
cyl 3 - 135
cyl 4 - 75
Not good at all.

Spark plugs actually looked fairly clean. See pic.

Did the colored dye test to check for exhaust intrusion into the coolant system - failed head gasket or cracked block. No color change of the dye. All good there.

Diagnosis at this point is blow by at the rings.

All you guys and gals who are smarter than me have any input / suggestions / questions here? Chime in, please.

View attachment 35999View attachment 36000

https://youtube.com/shorts/5Ls0xZ-66L8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/sHXoW2A26PI?feature=share
Have you checked the PCV valve inside the intake manifold? It could be pressurizing the crank case under boost instead of blocking the pressure and forcing oil into the exhaust. Mine was bad and it was forcing oil through the seals inside the turbo via the oil drain. Wont help your poor compression but it might help some smoking. My cylinder #4 is down too...I think I might replace and lap new valves and see how it improves. My valves are THICK with carbon.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Have you checked the PCV valve inside the intake manifold? It could be pressurizing the crank case under boost instead of blocking the pressure and forcing oil into the exhaust. Mine was bad and it was forcing oil through the seals inside the turbo via the oil drain. Wont help your poor compression but it might help some smoking. My cylinder #4 is down too...I think I might replace and lap new valves and see how it improves. My valves are THICK with carbon.
thank you for the thoughts.
I removed the PCV valve and diverted the crankcase fumes to an air/oil separator with the Powell system.
I cleaned up my valves when I stripped the donor. They had some oil residue.