Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

Ross

Goblin Guru
The clutch pipe goes through the black plastic pitting which is fitted in the transmission housing. The pipe inserts into the elbow on the outside of the housing, then. Is there a rubber o-ring missing here? Or does the clutch pipe just snap into the black plastic fitting and leave a plastic to plastic seal (not a water tight one at all)?
I thought I read somewhere there was a little rubber seal/ring that seems to get lost easily. Not sure if mine was non-existent, or I was the one who lost it.
Help?
I just bought those parts new from GM. I was expecting an O ring too, but I don't see one.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. Two unrelated requests for info, please. I need some educating today!

1. Can someone take a short video zooming into the two levers on the transmission that the shifter cables connect to? Ideally, it would start out in the neutral position, then when shifting to each gear verbally call it out before moving on to the next gear. N-1-2-3-4-5.

2. How many quarts / gallons of coolant will I need to fill the 2.0 l turbo as well as the air /water heat exchanger?

Thanks!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The engine cooling system holds about two gallons. The turbo cooling system will hold around 2/3 gallon or so maybe a bit less.

Three gallons should cover both systems with ease.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. Two unrelated requests for info, please. I need some educating today!

1. Can someone take a short video zooming into the two levers on the transmission that the shifter cables connect to? Ideally, it would start out in the neutral position, then when shifting to each gear verbally call it out before moving on to the next gear. N-1-2-3-4-5.

2. How many quarts / gallons of coolant will I need to fill the 2.0 l turbo as well as the air /water heat exchanger?

Thanks!
Thanks Briann1177 for reply to question #2. :)

Anyone help me with question #1?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ross: Thanks! I had watched your video a while back when thinking about the Cobalt stock shifter. You did a great job.
I have the F35 as well.
Before the Cobalt, I had never driven a manual that did not have the transmission right under the shifter. Keeps you in touch with those gears. The whole cable set up seems to reduce the feedback of the shifting process. Maybe it is acceptable, just different.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Minor annoyance today. I was messing around with my engine when I noticed a small hair line crack along the end of my valve cover. How does that even happen? My donor was a running working vehicle. No crashes / wrecks. I wonder if any air was seeping in through it. Oh well. I guess a nice new clean cover will dress things up a bit.

Wheels came yesterday. Got them mounted up and balanced. Small achievement. Klutch 17X9 with 275/40R17 Toyo Proxes R1R. 49 lbs for tire and wheel. I really labored picking these out. Started out looking at staggered setup. That makes sense from a weight and balance perspective. Then you see some of the square setups on the Goblins, and they just look cool! (see idrvslo pic below - gotta be one of the coolest pics around!!!!!). Big and beefy all the way around. Anyway, wheels are such a sticking point for some. I finally settled on a setup that fit and met all the criteria.

Picking up my frame / kit #186 end of next week! Wahoo!

1583532726635.png

IMG_7595.jpgIMG_7596.jpg

KSLunsfo

Minor annoyance today. I was messing around with my engine when I noticed a small hair line crack along the end of my valve cover. How does that even happen? My donor was a running working vehicle. No crashes / wrecks. I wonder if any air was seeping in through it. Oh well. I guess a nice new clean cover will dress things up a bit.
That is a bit odd. I've seen aluminum valve covers that are prone to cracking if the right amount of care isn't taken while reinstalling, but that appears to be nowhere near a mounting point. Maybe there's a chance it isn't cracked all the way through. Maybe it could be a strange defect? May never know...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Are you sure that is cracked. I am wondering if it is a flaw in the cover. Prop it upside down so that that area will lay full and spray it with brake clean you will soon find out.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
And now we take a commercial break from the Goblin for some fun.......

We gave our youngest son a day at the track at Driveway Austin for a Christmas present. Of course, we had to finish up his J32 Miata swap project and get all the bugs worked out before going. Luckily mom gave me a pass to go too ;). So, this was the weekend. With no Goblin yet, I was resigned to take the family Mustang. Not so bad. ;) A full day of instruction with over 3 hours of track time mixed in. Bill Dollahite, the instructor, is a legend. He spent time with the Ferrari team and Carroll Shelby. So, not only did he teach some great technical stuff, he interlaced some stories that just wowed us. The day started riding around the track to learn it with the instructors in some beat up crown vics. You would be surprised how fast the instructors drive those sleds. After all the safety stuff and first instructional lesson, we hit the track in our own vehicles. After about 45 minutes, we headed back to the classroom for more instruction, correction of course, and some laughs. The assistant instructors rode with us some of the laps throughout the day, and then drove some of the laps as well. The in-car instruction was instantaneous feedback. It is one thing to understand the technical aspect of driving, but completely another to hit a perfect line through a corner consistently. The track is very tight and technical with top speed about 70 mph. I was humbled today. And wore out, too. So much info. So much driving. So much fun! There were $100k Porsche's all the way down to my son's little Miata. And, of course the Miata had the interest of most of the gang. Unfortunately, I think he has proven that his Acura 6 cylinder 260 hp Miata is now quicker than his mom's 3700 lb / 460 hp Mustang. At least on a track! Now that we are considered alumni there, we can return for open track days at a VERY reasonable cost. Not sure how many instructional places like this exist around the country, but I HIGHLY suggest it. I can't wait to return with my Goblin, now. I think I will be able to more than hang with my son in it ;).

Hope you all enjoyed me sharing this commercial break! :)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Very nice event, especially since it turned into a father and son outing. I'm wondering what the guy in the Porsche Targa was thinking in the first photo? Would have been even more interesting if it was a Goblin rather than a Miata?!?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Nice. I am a bit surprised that they let it on the track with out a roll bar in the car.
agreed. I assume since it really was such a slow course, they allow it. He is getting a SCCA approved roll cage installed next weekend. Mods are coming as he can afford them.....

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Nice. I am a bit surprised that they let it on the track with out a roll bar in the car.
no doubt. Kind of odd they let that pass.

And a side note; a roll bar wouldn’t be a bad mod for the miata. It would help with safety and stiffen the chassis a bit too. Should be able to find a bolt in one, I would think.

pretty cool to do that. Instructor training is priceless. There is so many things you don’t even think about, that will help you, plus a lot of it translates to everyday street driving too. Since it had instructors, did they give you a certificate for a deduction on your insurance? A lot of those can be considered a “safety course” like defensive driving, where you can get an insurance discount.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Wheels came yesterday. Got them mounted up and balanced. Small achievement. Klutch 17X9 with 275/40R17 Toyo Proxes R1R. 49 lbs for tire and wheel. I really labored picking these out. Started out looking at staggered setup. That makes sense from a weight and balance perspective. Then you see some of the square setups on the Goblins, and they just look cool! (see idrvslo pic below - gotta be one of the coolest pics around!!!!!). Big and beefy all the way around. Anyway, wheels are such a sticking point for some. I finally settled on a setup that fit and met all the criteria.

Picking up my frame / kit #186 end of next week! Wahoo!

View attachment 12078

View attachment 12076View attachment 12077
So the new valve cover came in today. I found it interesting that on the very end where I found mine cracked, they had changed it a little and added some reinforcing plates. Hmmmmm.....

IMG_7614.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. I hope all of us are allowed a dumb question every now and then. :)

In the pics below, the turbo inlet is routed way around the frame to the passenger side front of the engine for the air filter. And of course, the MAF sensor is up there as well.

Could a 90 degree silicone elbow turn immediately upward out of the turbo and then have the air filter about 12" above? I get that the front side of the engine is the "cool" side, and the rear is the "hot" side. But, when the vehicle is moving, I have a hard time believing that the two locations would not be very different - if at all.

There is a part of me that knows shortening the air runs will be better, simpler, etc.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

IMG_20180731_115003.jpgIMG_20180731_115019.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I think for the best MAF performance it's best to locate it as far away from the turbo as you can. I think if you put the MAF that close to the turbo, the changing air currents from the turbo spinning up/down can cause funky readings.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Briann1177 is correct, on our first turbo build we had the MAF too close to the turbo, it took us a lot of researching to figure out why our MAF would not read properly. Adam found some forum post talking about it. As soon as we moved it away from the turbo it fixed our problem.