Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just to document the latest version for everyone, here is the setup (minus the clamps that are on order). I cut the old hose near the clutch master and left more of the original hose near the reservoir so it could make the bend a little better. Good system DF Engineering! Simple.

Oh. And I got my first trophy by the forum moderator gods! Steve Martin in the Jerk's words come to mind again - "I am somebody!!!!!"....... :)

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Umm prob like 2-3 months. By that time I didn’t feel like changing it out. It’s still on there I just wipe it off whenever I have the hood off. Next time I have to
Drain the brake fluid I’ll change it.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. Hit the road block of building a turbo and not having videos to cover some of the details. I assume I have the latest hardware, since I picked up my kit last Friday. Anyone confirm that the heat exchanger gets mounted as shown below. Bolted in the front holes of the side brackets. And, the side brackets have slots, but still do not line up with the welded in points on the frame. Clearance to the steering rack is, well, tight.
And, did you pop rivet the intake plenum? Or use some donor dash screws?

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You will not use the fan with the NACA duct. We were suppose to remove that from your kit.

I believe the brackets go on with the vertical edge closest to the heat exchanger.

20180821_151332.jpg

20180821_151358.jpg

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Hmmmmm. OK. Just sent Adam an email as well about this.
Do you have any pics? The fittings are not obvious as well. There are AN fittings, but no AN fitting hoses?
Where does the pump mount?
Where do es the "T" go?

edit - the fan does fit under the plenum. Could still use it right?
The wire harness has a drop for the heat exchanger fan?

IMG_7661.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
20180321_162402.jpg

The tee is for making a fill port and air trap.
We have some new brackets that mount a coolant tank behind the passenger seat to use as a intercooler water tank instead of the tee. We haven't had a chance to use one yet. I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I have never tried to use both the fan and a duct kit. If they are both going the same direction it might work just fine. It might even work better on low speed tracks.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
no clamps on the water lines?
There should be clamps in your kit. I don't know what the baggie number is though.
There also should have been a hardware baggie for mounting the heat exchanger.
Most of the components that are not part of the original donor will have hardware supplied with your kit. If you start to assemble something and can't find hardware text or call me any day or any time.
214-334-0232 cell.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Hmmmmm. OK. Just sent Adam an email as well about this.
Do you have any pics? The fittings are not obvious as well. There are AN fittings, but no AN fitting hoses?
Where does the pump mount?
Where do es the "T" go?

edit - the fan does fit under the plenum. Could still use it right?
The wire harness has a drop for the heat exchanger fan?

View attachment 12259
AN fittings aren't used, they just come with the HE box. Below could be the bag you are looking for, but only if the TC is the same as the SC:

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I was dreading (a little bit) mating the transmission back to the engine again after getting the LSD installed and replacing the clutch and flywheel. Started on it tonight. It is never easy wrestling around 125 lbs and trying to precisely get the transmission male spline into the female spline of the 300 lb. engine. I am sure some expensive transmission lift would have made it a little easier. Got it lined up anyway and wiggled for an hour with my son helping. No luck. Took a break. Watched a few internet videos about this process and then it hit me. I went back out to the garage (by myself) and slipped in the mid-shaft. Now, with the transmission seemingly in the right position, I slowly rotated the mid-shaft which of course rotated the male spline. Boom! Two minutes later the bell housing bolts were all lined up and bolts started. This was only the second time I have performed this mating task. Novice/rookie/beginner still. I know. The real "trick" after aligning everything perfectly is getting those dastardly splines to rotate into alignment. Mid-shaft to the rescue!!!! Wahoooooo!!

IMG_7668.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Talked with Lonny about using the fan with the heat exchanger plenum and NACA ducts. He did not think it had been done before.
Here is what I have done so far. The plenum is attached with zip ties so it is not tightly fixed. I put a thin foam spacer on top of the fan so the plenum did not rattle against it. Fan will be on and blowing anytime the key is in the on position.
IMG_7673.jpgIMG_7674.jpgIMG_7675.jpg