Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Day one today.
Had a local guy vacuum the refrigerant out of the AC system.
82k on the car. Everything is working well. Really good shape donor. Except the stupid turn signal switch. Hope they fired the engineer who designed it. Oh well, Rock Auto will like to sell me one surely.
Spent a few hours removing some of the big parts. Small steps......
60150731865__DAD455B2-9E29-47EE-A854-A1BEB340BBE6.JPG
60151243439__E250E40E-9A98-412D-818F-1D1B050CB0B9.JPG
IMG_7324.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Couple more hours today. Finished video Part 1. Small steps.....
Got into Part 2. Who knew those doors were so dang heavy!!!!!
IMG_7343.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I see your four legged house alarm is keeping an eye on what is happening. ;) Great progress. I see some tape labels on the electrical connectors, make sure they don't fall off. Door beams and the glass make the doors pretty heavy, the 2 door is even heavier. You have almost an entire car of good parts to sell off, don't see any corrosion so that should help offset your donor cost pretty well.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
That dog is not even a good helper. Runs if you fire up a ratchet.....

I am in Houston. NW side. I do not recall any others in town. Could be wrong, though.

Had to go get a 30 mm socket this morning from the Goblin tool store (Harbor Freight). Regular socket sets stop at 18mm. Moving on to Part 3 of video series today!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Those four door SS cars are quite rare. I would assume things like doors and such are the same as the base model, but it would be worth double checking on before you take everything to the recycler.

RouteAbel

Be aware that in one of the videos they say you need 30 or 32 MM socket but for the SS it's really a 35.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Well crud. Just bought a set that only goes to 32mm. Grrrrrrrr.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Parson: Thanks. Just ordered it after finding that neither Home Depot nor Lowes carries it. Well, I guess I will skip ahead to another section until it arrives.
Any other unusual socket sizes needed?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I have read a thread on the forum about someone developing a better replacement for the manual shifter. I can see why. Mine only has 82k. The plastic used does not look very good. Chevy engineers choosing materials that will last "long enough". Except they don't.

So are most of you reusing the shifter? Or, is there a consensus to upgrade it?
IMG_7351.jpg
IMG_7352.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Only a few of us have swapped out the shifter... myself included.
I think someone put gravel or sand in your shifter, as mine was in much better shape than yours.
I can box up my old one and send it to you if you want to it. Just pay for shipping.
Or fabricate your own new shifter, like I did.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ross: Thanks for the offer. I will consider it. Will do a little more research on options.

Worked around the lack of some specific tools (Prime delivery tomorrow hopefully). The two dash screws either side of the vent - holy cow they were hard to remove......

Made some good progress inside the vehicle, regardless.
IMG_7353.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Ross: Did you and Justin end up with the same solution on the shifter? How easy to duplicate?
Each of us did something slightly different. You can watch mine on YouTube.
Mine was a fair bit of fabricating, as I added a 5" moving arm that sits in the tunnel to reduce cable left/right stress.
JSATX (Justin) just left the cable to swing left/right. It might be fine. Ask him.
DC Money (Andrew) tried to make one that is less fabricating, he probably can procure some of his specialty parts.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Milestone day. Subframe dropped. Hope engine tomorrow. Maybe dash too. If every thing works well....

T50 bit arrived so the seatbelts came out. Good grief those bolts were tight. Almost like they used thread locker. Messed up one of the Torx heads a little. Not sure how easy it is to find a replacement.
IMG_7360.jpg

Murcielago311

Mine were already stripped out and had to cut both upper bolts.
A tip for anyone reading, heat them up first because they do have strong thread locker.

I haven't researched if those bolts get reused yet.