Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
T50 bit arrived so the seatbelts came out. Good grief those bolts were tight. Almost like they used thread locker. Messed up one of the Torx heads a little. Not sure how easy it is to find a replacement.
They do use lock tite on the seat belt bolts. You do not really need those torx bolts.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats Jason, on dropping the subframe.
I just replaced those seatbelt bolts with hex head ones, the nut is welded to the seatbelt roller frame.
You might want to wash your seatbelts - they will retract better if they are clean. I found a youtube video on washing them using soap and rubbing alcohol. Of course I was too big of a hurry to do it right away, so I got around to it after it was running & driving.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Video Part 4 shows two lift lugs on their base engine. My 2.0 TC does not have them! Crud!!!! I see on the accessory belt end where it could bolt on. But the other end of the engine is a mystery to me. Help, please. Where did everyone else get their lifting lugs?
IMG_7361.jpg
IMG_7362.jpg

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I feel your pain on this. I went through the exact same thing. I posted up on the cobalt ss facebook groups looking for both of the lift points and what I found was that the lift lugs differed depending on your model (so you're not missing anything on your engine). Long story short, I got bent over and purchased these for $25 from ebay and they work great.

21O016 Engine Lift Bracket 2008 Chevrolet Malibu 2.4 12580019
https://www.ebay.com/itm/21O016-Engine-Lift-Bracket-2008-Chevrolet-Malibu-2-4-12580019/153628406066?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This listing looks available
https://www.ebay.com/itm/68B043-LIFT-BRACKETS-2011-CHEVROLET-MALIBU-2-4-12580019/132947499630?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20190920091355&meid=8e87866653d54df486ada84f96e59e0a&pid=100036&rk=4&rkt=12&sd=153628406066&itm=132947499630&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100036.m2109

Parson Green

Video Part 4 shows two lift lugs on their base engine. My 2.0 TC does not have them! Crud!!!! I see on the accessory belt end where it could bolt on. But the other end of the engine is a mystery to me. Help, please. Where did everyone else get their lifting lugs?
View attachment 11427View attachment 11428
Here's a method that I've seen used; i.e., a bolt through a link in your lifting chain. Also, methinks there are universal lifting brackets available on amazon/ebay.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It is really neat and sometimes humbling seeing other more experienced guys do this Goblin project at blazing speeds.
But the really cool part about the Goblin build (and the work Lonnie and Adam have put into it), is that even a rookie / novice like me can accomplish it as well. Just a little slower.
Hit another milestone today. Engine dropped and on the dolly. Wooohooo! No problems or issues. Wife stood by just watching incredulously at what the heck is getting accomplished in our garage. I am going to start another thread regarding the conversation above about lift lugs and dropping the engine. Hopefully it will help some others.

IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7380.jpg
IMG_7381.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I guess a little blood, sweat, and tears are part of every big project. Actually, not many tears so far.....

IMG_7383.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Build Guide Part 8 DONE!!!!! baby steps, I know.
And here comes an end to the stripping process. I really enjoyed it actually. You learn a lot disassembling things. I love to ponder some of the intricacies and wonder whether design or manufacturing drove a certain decision on a part.

On to cleaning and prepping parts. Got a few weeks until the kit will be ready for pickup.

Also, was contacted by another member who is only 30 minutes away. Very cool. Hate to be a local loner.....

Starting to shop for wheels and tires. Holy cow. Too many choices.

Got my paint samples in from Prismatic Powders. Amazing how different colors look next to each other.

Heck. The toughest choice may be what to get on the license plate!!!!!

IMG_7402.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Moved the shell out today. Of course expansion joints and caster wheels on dolls really do not mix very well. Thank goodness Harbor Freight is just ten minutes away.
gonna have to get creative to get the shell up on a trailer. Cheapest thing may be a six pack for six neighbors to help out........

IMG_7418.jpg
IMG_7419.jpg
IMG_7420.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Murcielago311 thanks! Great eyes. Those 8 bolts are now in a bag and labeled! ;)

And by the way, I grew up just east of you in Carlyle, IL.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Evap module on intake port gets removed. What kind of plate did you bolt on to cover up the port? There is only one bolt holding it in place. I assume a small aluminum plate with some sealant?

IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg