Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
How did everyone else (Jeff, DCMoney, ...) know this tie rod end swap and not me? What did I miss? Where was this info? Am I just a bonehead???? Is it "common knowledge" and I am stupidly uncommon? Input from all is welcome here. No pride will get hurt.
After I fully committed to buying a goblin. I read through almost every build log making bookmarks and taking screen shots with what I thought was pertinent information so I could reference later. My time working on the goblin was planned out, written down, and pretty detailed. I did a list week to week, carrying over and starting with anything I didn't finish from the previous week. Monday at my first boring meeting Id start updating my build list, by Friday I had a good list with screen shots and bookmarks of reference material.

If I was planning on doing the control arms that weekend I would first watch the video if available usually 3+ times taking down notes, then do a search on the forum and look for any information that was helpful or more up to date than the videos, which the top and bottom brackets are different than in the videos so information on the forum was more useful in this case.

I still had to ask questions on the forum, missed things, and had weekends that did not go according to plan, but I did my due diligence before asking questions. Overall my build went pretty smooth because of the information on this forum, really thankful for the guys that have put so much detail into their build logs, and the community as a whole for being so generous with information, and not yelling at everyone to use the search function.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
After I fully committed to buying a goblin. I read through almost every build log making bookmarks and taking screen shots with what I thought was pertinent information so I could reference later. My time working on the goblin was planned out, written down, and pretty detailed. I did a list week to week, carrying over and starting with anything I didn't finish from the previous week. Monday at my first boring meeting Id start updating my build list, by Friday I had a good list with screen shots and bookmarks of reference material.

If I was planning on doing the control arms that weekend I would first watch the video if available usually 3+ times taking down notes, then do a search on the forum and look for any information that was helpful or more up to date than the videos, which the top and bottom brackets are different than in the videos so information on the forum was more useful in this case.

I still had to ask questions on the forum, missed things, and had weekends that did not go according to plan, but I did my due diligence before asking questions. Overall my build went pretty smooth because of the information on this forum, really thankful for the guys that have put so much detail into their build logs, and the community as a whole for being so generous with information, and not yelling at everyone to use the search function.
Thanks. I agree that transitioning from the videos to the forum is a process. I need to do a better job.

I should have bookmarked all the individual build logs. The information is all there, just scattered about in bits and pieces.

Lonny has been helpful behind the scenes as well. I am sure when they get the three builds they are preparing to do now all complete, the new video series will be way more complete.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. I will ask while searching as well.

Looking for torque values on:
tie rod end to knuckle - the tapered threaded end (F/R)
shock tower bottom to knuckle (rear)
bottom of knuckle where it sits on top of the A-arm (rear)
Brake caliper to knuckle (F/R)

Briann1177

Goblin Guru

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Got some small tasks done today. I thought it would be a good idea to keep posting some of the mundane parts - just in case I assume something wrong again!

Started with swapping out the tire rod ends - new short ones in FRONT, old long ones in REAR. :)

Situated and mounted the air/oil separator

mounted the transmission end of the shifter cables. The heavy cables do not bend easily and the routing to the shifter does not leave a lot of options.

Started assembling the shift lever cable ends. Still waiting on a few missing parts there.

Had a small leak filling the heat exchanger system with coolant. Some knucklehead did not tighten the front end of one of the plastic pipes in the tunnel.

Fluids left - engine coolant, gas, and brake fluid

IMG_7814.jpgIMG_7815.jpgIMG_7816.jpgIMG_7817.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Brake kind of day today. Front hubs needed the ABS back plug cap removed and replaced with some from DF. Got those and installed the front hubs, and brakes.
Rear rotor centering ring shown before and after rotor installed.
Rear brakes with parking brakes and special brackets installed.
Got the parking brake cable temporarily in place. Not a lot of options there.
Tightened up all the brake lines.
Filled the engine coolant yesterday. Lonny's method was simple. Remove the small line on the top of the coolant overflow tank and place the end in an old container. Fill the overflow coolant reservoir until it quits draining. Put the overflow cap on. Use shop air on the small port of the overflow tank to force the coolant down and out. Repeat until you get coolant from the hose into the old container. Reattach the hose to the overflow reservoir. There will be some more to add after running the engine the first time. Boom!

IMG_7831.jpgIMG_7832.jpgIMG_7837.jpgIMG_7838.jpgIMG_7839.jpgIMG_7840.jpgIMG_7841.jpg

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ate a little supper. Watched the end of "A Few Good Men" ---- so I could handle the truth......

Finished the brakes earlier, so I figured why not get some shoes on the front. Low rider. As low as my son's Miata next to it. No. Lower......

Temporarily hooked up the lights to see if I could make thinks blink a little. Success!!!!!

IMG_7846.jpgIMG_7847.jpgIMG_7848.jpgIMG_7849.jpg

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I can't believe you waited until after you hooked up all your turbo plumbing up before the first start. :)

I didn't even have coolant in mine. About the only thing it had was oil. Now that I think about it, I don't even think I had gear oil in it either.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
When talking to Lonny while picking up my kit, he spoke faster than I could absorb. He is a walking tool box of knowledge. :) But, one thing that did sink in was how easy it was to set up the shifter cables. Start at the transmission end, with the two levers in the middle position. Fix the cable ends in the middle of their thread length. Snake the cables under and over until they are on top of the tunnel cover. Left trans lever goes on the left side of the shifter. Install the bellcranks so they are about vertical. Then connect the hardware top and bottom to the bellcranks adjusting each rod. I will post the remaining pics when done.

And one other small detail. The wire harness needs to go UNDER the BCM mounting bolt or the tunnel cap will not slide all the way forward to the front firewall.

IMG_7860.jpgIMG_7861.jpgIMG_7862.jpgIMG_7863.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I have heard others talk about the first time the car is off the jack stands and fully on the ground - and how LOW it is. Well, even knowing that, I still was stunned at how low slung this baby is now!

Without the shifter and parking brake finished and not knowing if it was still out of gear, I removed the keys and placed them safely / securely on a shelf. Would be a bad day to have someone try to crank it over with the tires on the ground now.........:|

IMG_7869.jpg

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Go to the transmission and check if it's out of gear, it's pretty straightforward once you look over it for a minute. Left/right control is spring loaded so you don't have to worry about it. That leaves 3 positions on the other lever.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Go to the transmission and check if it's out of gear, it's pretty straightforward once you look over it for a minute. Left/right control is spring loaded so you don't have to worry about it. That leaves 3 positions on the other lever.
correct. Thanks!
When I was messing with the shifter end of the cables I have moved the lever once already. :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I temporarily hooked up my rear lights. I am getting 12v constant on the green / yellow wires. When I turn on the blinker, they go into the correct blink mode. When I reset the blinker, they go off for a moment, and then back full on. The side mirror signals seem to blink correctly with the blinker engaged. Brake signal issue -I assume? I do not have any brake fluid in the system yet. Is the brake fluid reservoir sensor maybe sending a signal here? There does not seem to be any adjustment on the brake signal sensor. I disconnected the green / yellow wires both sides and running lights are on properly then and blinkers work correctly.

I am using the DF rear lights. Here are my connections at rear:

Harness Maxxima light
black (grnd)---------------both white wires from plug 1 and plug 2 (plug 1 is stop, tail, turn - plug 2 is reverse)
brown (run lt.)-------------black wire plug 1
green/yellow (turn R/L)---red wire plug 1
lt. green (backup)---------red wire plug 2

Anyone see the issue here?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I have heard others talk about the first time the car is off the jack stands and fully on the ground - and how LOW it is. Well, even knowing that, I still was stunned at how low slung this baby is now!

Without the shifter and parking brake finished and not knowing if it was still out of gear, I removed the keys and placed them safely / securely on a shelf. Would be a bad day to have someone try to crank it over with the tires on the ground now.........:|

View attachment 12498
There’s a clutch interlock unless you have a tune where it was disabled.....

Leave it enabled. Don’t ask me how I came to that recommendation....