Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I temporarily hooked up my rear lights. I am getting 12v constant on the green / yellow wires. When I turn on the blinker, they go into the correct blink mode. When I reset the blinker, they go off for a moment, and then back full on. The side mirror signals seem to blink correctly with the blinker engaged. Brake signal issue -I assume? I do not have any brake fluid in the system yet. Is the brake fluid reservoir sensor maybe sending a signal here? There does not seem to be any adjustment on the brake signal sensor. I disconnected the green / yellow wires both sides and running lights are on properly then and blinkers work correctly.

I am using the DF rear lights. Here are my connections at rear:

Harness Maxxima light
black (grnd)---------------both white wires from plug 1 and plug 2 (plug 1 is stop, tail, turn - plug 2 is reverse)
brown (run lt.)-------------black wire plug 1
green/yellow (turn R/L)---red wire plug 1
lt. green (backup)---------red wire plug 2

Anyone see the issue here?
So when I was disassembling the donor, the video said to remove the little sensors on the pedals to make it easier to paint them. DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THEM!!!!!! The screws are very little and very soft. Just tape them up to paint. I twisted one off and struggled to remove it from the plastic sensor. They are cheap, so I replaced it with a new one. Well, the new sensor was my problem above. Today, I worked to get the broken screw out of the old one, reinstalled it and the issue went away. Not sure why the new sensor was constantly sending a signal.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
After fixing the above electrical issue, I had a neighbor help with bleeding the brakes and clutch. Man the clutch took a while to get rid of the bubbles. At one point with no clutch pedal reaction, I started questioning myself if I had installed the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder properly - and in my head realizing that that fixing something like that would include pulling the engine. Wellllll, the clutch finally bled completely and got it to engage. WooooHooooo!!!!!

Next was the alignment. We followed the DIY videos and all went pretty easy. Zeroing the digital gauge in the proper orientation will make it easier to know if you are moving things out, or in....... Novices talking too much instead of focusing on the details today. :)

All good in the end today, albeit maybe a little slow!

IMG_7874.jpg

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
And on to adjusting the shift linkage. :)

View attachment 12531
Would it be better to get the e-brake mounted first, then do shift linkage? Also, do you plan on just routing the shift cables around the e-brake handle mechanism or will you lift it and have them go under? I just mounted my e-brake to the tunnel on Sunday and was toying with the idea of elevating it for a cleaner look. DFG just recommends going around it. Some have gone thru the tunnel and back up, but I think the tunnel is already too crowded. Thoughts?

Your build is looking really nice! You got there quick! With my red frame, Ross' white frame and your blue frame... 'Merica!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Would it be better to get the e-brake mounted first, then do shift linkage? Also, do you plan on just routing the shift cables around the e-brake handle mechanism or will you lift it and have them go under? I just mounted my e-brake to the tunnel on Sunday and was toying with the idea of elevating it for a cleaner look. DFG just recommends going around it. Some have gone thru the tunnel and back up, but I think the tunnel is already too crowded. Thoughts?

Your build is looking really nice! You got there quick! With my red frame, Ross' white frame and your blue frame... 'Merica!
Thanks.
Not sure which is easier to do first. I think just letting the shift cables lay next to the e brake will be fine for me. You really will not see that much with the seats covering up most of it.

The red white and blue theme will manifest itself some more in my build. Wait for it........ :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Finished the shifter linkage, parking brake, and sealed the tunnel cap.

I reused the metal hanger at the shock tower. Drilled a new hole to orient the hose away from the inside of the wheel.
The back of the parking brake mount bracket is 3" from the front side of the angle that the fuel tank mounts to. Compressing the parking brake at the axle allows easy hook up of the cables at the hand brake. Not sure I am finished securing the parking brake cable. Not a lot of choices to route it.
And for those who are installing the parking brake, make sure you drill your holes and attach the brake handle BEFORE you rivet the tunnel cap. Or, you will find yourself drilling out rivets. Don't ask....... :( Sometimes, you get three or four things going in your head and if they get out of order..........

Realized tonight I have a bad CV joint on one axle. So, replacing both of them just for peace of mind.
Hopefully tomorrow firewall, seats and harnesses. :)

IMG_7888.jpgIMG_7889.jpgIMG_7890.jpgIMG_7891.jpgIMG_7892.jpgIMG_7893.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Installed the firewall today. Those rivets on the bottom corner where the panels meet are trying... Had to trim a little around the tunnel to clear the parking brake and shift cables. I went back and covered the sharp edge with a split piece of rubber hose so no possibility of chafing.

Had my older son help with the seats. I thought they would just drop right in. Nope. Took some work to wiggle them into place. I got the 4" extended chassis. I actually slid the seats up a notch or two. I am 6'-5".
NOTE: The welded nuts in the tunnel for the inside seat belt mounts are 7/16" - 20. This hardware is not included in the kit.

Need to do some adjusting on the harnesses.
I put in a few gallons of gas. Maybe not enough. Still getting a low reading.
Also have a small brake reservoir leak on on remote hose fitting. Grrrrr.
Running out of hardware bags!!! :)

IMG_7895.jpgIMG_7897.jpgIMG_7899.jpg

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK all you seat harness aficionados. The Goblin is my first set of harnesses. I mounted them correctly with the proper hardware. I understand how they are supposed to fit up to the body. I attached them properly to the bar behind the seats. Of course, the harnesses come with plenty strap for mounting in different vehicles. Once I get them adjusted, there is a whole bunch of extra strap. What are my options? Roll it up and zip tie it neatly out of the way? If I cut off the excess, will it fail any safety inspections at an event/sanctioning body?
Suggestions and ideas, please.
IMG_7906.JPG

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
OK all you seat harness aficionados. The Goblin is my first set of harnesses. I mounted them correctly with the proper hardware. I understand how they are supposed to fit up to the body. I attached them properly to the bar behind the seats. Of course, the harnesses come with plenty strap for mounting in different vehicles. Once I get them adjusted, there is a whole bunch of extra strap. What are my options? Roll it up and zip tie it neatly out of the way? If I cut off the excess, will it fail any safety inspections at an event/sanctioning body?
Suggestions and ideas, please.
View attachment 12630
I think this is what you need:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I think this is what you need:
OK. Those instructions matched the ones from RaceQuip. Thanks.

I wrapped them on the bar to begin with. However, I never really asked if these brackets were to bolt the shoulder harness mount - or are they for mounting the engine cover? The harnesses come with hardware to bolt as well. Bolting the harness to these mounts would keep them from sliding around on the bar if they were just wrapped.
So, are the brackets for the seat harnesses?

IMG_7912.jpg

Indy Lonnie

However, I never really asked if these brackets were to bolt the shoulder harness mount - or are they for mounting the engine cover? The harnesses come with hardware to bolt as well. Bolting the harness to these mounts would keep them from sliding around on the bar if they were just wrapped.
So, are the brackets for the seat harnesses?

View attachment 12654
I honestly do not know what those brackets are for... They are not for aftermarket seats and the engine cover does not mount there. I was going to make a brace to help sturdy up my Corbeau seats, but I haven't yet. I do not use them and I have been driving my Goblin for almost a year now.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Those brackets are for the engine cover. You don't want to bolt your harness to that because it will probably change the lateral angle of how it runs the through the seat holes. That could cause some weird forces and things to not work as designed if you're ever in an accident.

There is actually a lot of science behind the proper mounting of a harness. Most of it we don't really need to worry about to much, but it's really best to not deviate from anything when it comes to safety equipment.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
20200403_093712.jpg

Upper seat mount.
We had made these early on but it doesn't seem like anybody needed them so we decided to hold onto them just in case they are required at certain race tracks. So far nobody has had a problem.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
View attachment 12657
Upper seat mount.
We had made these early on but it doesn't seem like anybody needed them so we decided to hold onto them just in case they are required at certain race tracks. So far nobody has had a problem.
How does the bracket attach to the chassis and seat? Would you have any pictures? I may be interested.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member

The back of our seats have a threaded hole that aligns with this.
We haven't actually installed one. It was along time ago and it may need to be modified to clear the coolant tank.

Indy Lonnie

The back of our seats have a threaded hole that aligns with this.
We haven't actually installed one. It was along time ago and it may need to be modified to clear the coolant tank.
Does the bracket angle follow the hood or will the hood need cut? Can the bracket go inside the brace connected to the frame? My seats are sturdy, but do wiggle a bit. I may be interested to if the answer is correct...