Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

Ross

Goblin Guru
I will check all the electrical connections. The steering seems to be operating properly even though the message came up.
What was the change that you noticed (if any) in its operation when it "failed"?
I did notice an ever so subtle "catch" when turning the wheel. I thought it was the universal joint rubbing on the firewall. I enlarged the hole in the firewall, but still noticed the slight "catch". Is that maybe the power steering motor not functioning properly?
When the power steering motor cut out, the steering got heavy, and car didn't track straight very well. I've never had it "catch".

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. I had a frustratingly slight seep under my brake reservoir. I wrestled with the brass fittings and getting them tight AND pointed in the right direction. Even went back and used sealant there. Unfortunately, it was not those causing the leak. Lonny sent me some new o-rings thinking maybe they were the issue. After changing them out and bleeding the system (again!), Lonny sent me a pic with one of those "dumb" questions. Well the pic showed me my error. DOH!.......... Unfortunately this is one of those details not yet covered in the present video series.

The pic below shows the PROPER placement of the o-rings prior to inserting the reservoir nipples. Deep down inside. NOT on the shoulder just below the surface.......
Learn well grasshopper....

20200417_140525.jpg

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
OK. I had a frustratingly slight seep under my brake reservoir. I wrestled with the brass fittings and getting them tight AND pointed in the right direction. Even went back and used sealant there. Unfortunately, it was not those causing the leak. Lonny sent me some new o-rings thinking maybe they were the issue. After changing them out and bleeding the system (again!), Lonny sent me a pic with one of those "dumb" questions. Well the pic showed me my error. DOH!.......... Unfortunately this is one of those details not yet covered in the present video series.

The pic below shows the PROPER placement of the o-rings prior to inserting the reservoir nipples. Deep down inside. NOT on the shoulder just below the surface.......
Learn well grasshopper....

View attachment 13154
Your so funny

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
More good news! There was no need to bleed the brakes just from taking the reservoir off.

I had the "catch" in my steering, it was from the u joint hitting the firewall in a spot I didn't clearance the first time around.

Murcielago311

Is everyone's steering joint making contact with the firewall on the upper left if your looking at it from the driver's seat? Wondering if it's universal or just specific to the donor setup.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Is everyone's steering joint making contact with the firewall on the upper left if your looking at it from the driver's seat? Wondering if it's universal or just specific to the donor setup.
Mine did too. Used a nibbler to fix it. But I kept the Cobalt tilt steering, so not sure my car is typical.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I have been solving a few minor issues recently. Nothing big. Mostly waiting on June 22 to register here in Texas. I might have been seen sneaking around the block a few times in the Goblin. Hard to be quiet in it! OK. Maybe more than few times..... :)

So, the Bentley Blue painted frame needed a finished hood. Kind of the last big part of the project. Painting is not really an exciting part for me. I am too impatient waiting for things to dry. Sanding and taping things also are not really that fun. But, I thought I would at least give it a try myself. I knew if I really screwed it up, I could pay a true expert to wrap it and cover up my mess. I think it turned out pretty well.

Footwell cover info here:

On to the windshield - and a test drive to make sure the hood works..... ;)

IMG_7986.jpgIMG_7994.jpgIMG_8001.jpgIMG_8002.jpgIMG_8006.jpgIMG_8014.jpg

IMG_8023.jpg

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I also had that error message. I had to replace my power steering motor. That fixed it, but occasionally it would pop up the error. When I reseated the low power wires on the electronic power steering module, it would go away. So I replaced the EPS module.... but still, it occasionally comes back. Probably need to tighten the pins in the wire harness, or repin it.
So I unplugged the power steering motor. The error message has not come up again, yet. But, it has only been driven shortly a few times.

I also now have plenty of clearance on the steering universal joint where it goes through the firewall. But, I still get a feeling of an ever so light "hang" when turning. I still think it is the power steering motor itself. Has anyone tried unplugging the motor and driving just manually without it? The front end is so light, I do not think that a lot of assistance from the motor is actually happening. I may try this just to see if the hang is still there. Anyone want to throw in two cents???

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. Steering "catch" solved!!!!

The blinker reset ring gets clamped onto the steering column. This is another one of those items that might have shown up in video 25 or 26 (that never quite got posted). The tab gets aligned after you know your steering wheel is centered so the blinker gets reset properly after the turn. However, I failed to notice that the tab did NOT completely clear the round head hex bolts completely as it turned. It would catch ever so slightly and then ride up and over the bolt head. Doh!$@&*!! Face slap. The second pic shows the position after adjustment where there is a 1/16" clearance now.

Check that minor issue off the list......... :)

IMG_8058.jpgIMG_8059.jpg

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I love your build. Thank you for detailing things because I‘m coming right behind you.
I keep looking at your pictures and say oh that is where that goes. Thank you !

Is there a video on how to install accessories buttons that go around speedometer for install that you know of.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I love your build. Thank you for detailing things because I‘m coming right behind you.
I keep looking at your pictures and say oh that is where that goes. Thank you !

Is there a video on how to install accessories buttons that go around speedometer for install that you know of.
This is what I posted in another thread

Top shorter bolts:
panel, short spacer, cluster, short spacer, frame, nut

bottom long bolts:
panel, long spacer, cluster, short spacer, frame, nut

and attaching one of Jason’s pictures

Attachments

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
This is what I posted in another thread

Top shorter bolts:
panel, short spacer, cluster, short spacer, frame, nut

bottom long bolts:
panel, long spacer, cluster, short spacer, frame, nut

and attaching one of Jason’s pictures
Thank you very much

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Thank you very much
If I could add one or two thing is drill bottom hole out to 9/32 or the long bolt want go the threads will but the shank is wider so you need to drill out before you install in goblin. I installed top bolts and found out the bottom want fit so drilled out in goblin, It would be easier to do before and if you get these buttons soldier the wires together before you install speedo a lot easier.

Attachments