Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Following up with my temp data logging (post #419). I finally relocated the air intake. I was pleased to find an improvement. The IAT's were reduced to 3-4 degrees above ambient. I am not sure we can get much better than that. :)

Recap:
stock location: 12-15 degrees above ambient
stock location with scoops: 7-9 degrees above ambient
relocated intake outside of the engine compartment: 3-4 degrees above ambient

There are VERY few places that I deviated from Lonny's intended Goblin build. On the intake location though, I now have to highly suggest that you locate it outside the engine bay. Others have done some additions to the intake tubes, or re-plumbed it their own way. I actually just re-purposed the stock components and only had to fabricate a little bracket to support the MAF tube. The spring clearance is VERY tight.

So now all you inquiring minds, and some of you that don't care ;) , there is your data and my 2 cents!

Goblin on, friends!

IMG_8575.jpgIMG_8576.jpgIMG_8577.jpgIMG_8578.jpgIMG_8579.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Are you talking about pre-turbo (IAT) or post intercooler (IAT2) temps? I have my intake outside the engine bay too and I still get a 10-15 degree temperature difference between IAT and IAT2.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Are you talking about pre-turbo (IAT) or post intercooler (IAT2) temps? I have my intake outside the engine bay too and I still get a 10-15 degree temperature difference between IAT and IAT2.
All temp differentials were between IAT1 (located in the MAF pre-intercooler I believe) and ambient. My OBD reader only displays one IAT. Not sure if the stage 1 GM 3 bar sensors still have a temp sensor to pick up the IAT2? Or maybe I need something more than the OBD reader I have?

I was only trying to gauge the impact of the location of the intake filter. There is a surprising amount of heat directly around the engine even though it is still out in the open. Lonny had stated in the past how the air flow on the back side of the Goblin is a little dirty and dead. He is correct.

Getting the second IAT2 temp would help with changes / upgrades to the intercooler system.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Oddly enough I was going to do this also, happy to see we can use the stock DF tubes! Thanks for documenting this.

When it comes to the tube mods, I'd imagine you had to cut the turbo tube (90 deg. one passing by the coilovers) shorter so it hugged the frame better -- anything else?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Oddly enough I was going to do this also, happy to see we can use the stock DF tubes! Thanks for documenting this.

When it comes to the tube mods, I'd imagine you had to cut the turbo tube (90 deg. one passing by the coilovers) shorter so it hugged the frame better -- anything else?
I think I had to trim the 90 when I originally installed it.
Yesterday, I did trim the end a little where it attaches to the turbo just so it would angle slightly differently. The tube is close to the spring, but there is not much movement of the spring.
My next area to improve is the gap around the radiator at the front. Air coming in the hood can escape past the radiator. I will share that later. I think I have a quick and easy and cheap solution. :)

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
When I had my friend fabricate my side scoops, I had him make a second set - just in case I wanted to modify them a little. I did not.
They do add functionality with a little added aesthetics as well. :)
So, if anyone is interested in a free set, first reply can have them for free. You pay shipping.
They are bare aluminum right now. You will need some 1.25" Adell clamps to mount them (if you prefer to copy my install).

Here are the details with pics:

SACTX

When I had my friend fabricate my side scoops, I had him make a second set - just in case I wanted to modify them a little. I did not.
They do add functionality with a little added aesthetics as well. :)
So, if anyone is interested in a free set, first reply can have them for free. You pay shipping.
They are bare aluminum right now. You will need some 1.25" Adell clamps to mount them (if you prefer to copy my install).

Here are the details with pics:

I’ll take those bad boys!

SACTX

I took the liberty of drawing the side scoops in Autocad. I can send the drawing in DXF or DWG to anyone that wants to make them. I tried to post it but they're not allowed file types.

Jason made his out of 6 gauge aluminum and I'm going to be using 14 gauge. It should be thin enough to cut on a table saw or router table and bend by hand but be strong enough to not flex too much while driving. I'll let everyone know how they work out.

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
One of the items on my to-do list was to seal up the area between the radiator and the hood. Ideally all the air that enters the front would pass through the radiator. Anything to help with the cooling system is a plus.

I have seen a few others do some nice mods to address this. After thinking a little, and looking around the garage at what I had on hand, I came up with this. The engineer in me laughs when I find a dirt simple and cheap solution that works.... :)

One piece of pipe insulation and some stainless steel wire. It seals up about 98% of the gap. I attached it to the radiator so removing the hood is still a simple task.

So, $3 worth of materials and 15 minutes later, I can mark that item off my to-do list. Wahooo!

And thinking of some mesh to protect the radiator too. Those run-ins with rocks and bugs is after just 900+ miles.

IMG_8693.jpgIMG_8694.jpgIMG_8695.jpgIMG_8697.jpgIMG_8698.jpg

SACTX

Nice solution. I was looking at doing something similar but much more involved. Great idea!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
OK. Don't be that guy. Like I was today.......

If you bought the same plug as me for the intercooler fill neck, heads up. Today while driving (hot, and a bumpy road), the plug dislodged and is now out on a road somewhere. I added a 1/2 ounce of coolant recently. Maybe I did not tighten the top. I like the simplicity of it, but maybe it did not have enough grip for the bumps, or maybe a little expansion due to heat. I will be reinstalling another one, but with a small zip-tie around the top of the rubber hose to ensure retention.

:)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I did this, but I also added a hose clamp to the end of the hose. Works a treat for keeping it in.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I figured I was just being paranoid! I guess not.

(Actually, I couldn't get the plug to seal too well, that's why I added the hose clamp)

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
OK. Don't be that guy. Like I was today.......

If you bought the same plug as me for the intercooler fill neck, heads up. Today while driving (hot, and a bumpy road), the plug dislodged and is now out on a road somewhere. I added a 1/2 ounce of coolant recently. Maybe I did not tighten the top. I like the simplicity of it, but maybe it did not have enough grip for the bumps, or maybe a little expansion due to heat. I will be reinstalling another one, but with a small zip-tie around the top of the rubber hose to ensure retention.

:)

View attachment 16188
Or you can go the quick connect hose and end cap

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So, I did not get a wing when I bought my kit. When Lonnie told me it was just for looks and did not really do much since the air flow behind the Goblin is so "dirty", I really felt like there was no need for it. And, another local builder Rttoys agreed with me. He did not get one either. And he even jokingly called our first meetup the "Texas anti-wang club meet".

Time is mellowing me. Or, I am lusting after some of the ones I see here. Or, I have been enlightened and realize my Goblin is rear wing naked and am ashamed of it. Or like some here, the Goblin just is never finished and needs some more tinkering done on it. For fear of getting thrown out of the Texas club that I am a charter member of, no one tell Russell. :)

I must stand up and admit that I have been shopping for one. I want to start by inquiring if any one here on the forum has one they would like to sell. Maybe you changed your mind on the design, or something and bought anther one. Or WANT to buy another one. I will entertain a used one. No pride here. I am not going to spend as much as some of you big boys did for your carbon fiber giant in-your-face wangs. Just a medium, normal looking, not so in-your-face wing. Waddya think?
And if any one has the supports for sale, let me know. If not, I plan on giving more $$ to Lonnie and family.

PM me if you got something.