Jason in Texas - ext. track - 09 SS/TC

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Another meeting of the Houston Chapter of the Goblin Anti-Wing Club.
And to be clear, only one of us is naked without a wing at this time...... :) Just sayin.....

BRETT (who is about half way done) met us to check out our finished Goblins.
ToxicBill was absent, but he is close to done.
I know that Devonrex is close as well.
So, soon the chapter will be up to six!
Am I missing some locals???

So, Rttoys, SACTX, and me (JBINTX) ran around some Texas rural roads on a beautiful day today.
Took almost an hour to get out of the parking lot due to so many others stopping and talking.
Plenty of road kill on some of the roads providing for some nice slalom maneuvers.
And at lunch, the motorcycle crew swarmed us and had to get more info from us. ----- Two wheelers....... :p

No lost bolts, and no lost people, so good day right? :)

Goblin on friends, Goblin on........ :)

IMG_9411.jpgIMG_9413.jpgIMG959619.jpgIMG959622.jpg

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
They're RGB, so any color, but I'll probably make them red to match the rest. Would like to find a way to mount them inside the wheels to do like an inner wheel lighty thingamabob, but I can't fab or 3D print so I'll probably just settle for under-car.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
They're RGB, so any color, but I'll probably make them red to match the rest. Would like to find a way to mount them inside the wheels to do like an inner wheel lighty thingamabob, but I can't fab or 3D print so I'll probably just settle for under-car.
try to find dust shields for the brakes. You could run them around that

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
reference for the no-lift shift videos:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I am approaching 2000 miles on the Goblin - and loving every one of them.
I have also done several autoX’s in it. It performs exceptionally!!!
But, the best part of the Goblin is just the simple cruising around town in it. Just too cool for the rest of the mortals on the road.

Since I am in Texas, I modified the windshield a while back to get some more airflow into the cockpit. I still like that modification and highly recommend it.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/modding-the-df-windshield.1741/post-32459

The driver’s line of sight is above the windshield even without any modification. So, for true full protection, you really need to wear a helmet with a full face shield. I kind of like wearing a helmet and the safety and security it gives me. I even like the looks that people have when they see the Goblin AND the driver with a full race helmet. 2QUK4U baby! However, when the wife accompanies me be on our burger / pizza / ice-cream runs, she really does NOT care to put a bucket on. Pony tail holder in the hair – sure. Needed. But she is no helmet fan. And, there is not much conversation when both passengers are wearing helmets. So, to make sure momma stays happy, and will continue to be excited to ride in the Goblin rocket I decided to take a page from Scott’s @SACTX build. He did a full windshield. On our recent three Goblin meetup and drive, he needed no helmet. Pretty cool.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/jason-in-texas-ext-track-09-ss-tc.1531/post-42387

I did a modified version. One that is really just for when the wife rides. So, I made sure it can install and remove in a minute.
I think I will call it the winter windshield. Or maybe the wifeshield(!!??)

Details if you are interested:
hooks used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CVSHW95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
10x32x3/4” bolts with lock nuts on three hooks, and wing nuts on the passenger side hook.
I did have to add a small aluminum flat bar in the middle to keep the bottom edge from deflecting too much.

A big thanks to SACTX for the left over plastic. I owe him a good lunch at least…… We got a good group of Goblin dudes down here.

Goblin on friends!!

62848254874__8E3F038F-9824-4F5D-8FA7-BA7DA593341E.JPG62848296438__DE6B1BA0-4D10-46C7-9B64-E2610993B820.JPG62848298001__412E09A3-6CC6-4655-B5DF-170536948338.JPG62848320798__9E64C00C-0869-4968-BEFF-37EFDE7DE9DC.JPGIMG_9447.jpgIMG_9450.jpgIMG_9451.jpgIMG_9452.jpg

Last edited:

Classy

This is actually a really good idea for a lot of reasons. Having a full windshield like you mounted your upper one may cause clearance issues operating the steering wheel.
Have you driven it this way yet?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
This is actually a really good idea for a lot of reasons. Having a full windshield like you mounted your upper one may cause clearance issues operating the steering wheel.
Have you driven it this way yet?

Classy

How is the clearance to the windshield with the steering wheel?
I see you were on fed ex road there, you know by the place that used to employ me...

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I see you were on fed ex road there, you know by the place that used to employ me...
The clearance is tight, but manageable. I would not like it if I had the windshield permanently mounted like that. I think Scott @SACTX has more clearance since he spaced down his steering column.

And yes, that road is the default test strip around here. If you look closely at the road, you can see plenty of dollars of rubber.....but not mine!

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I am approaching 2000 miles on the Goblin - and loving every one of them.
I have also done several autoX’s in it. It performs exceptionally!!!
But, the best part of the Goblin is just the simple cruising around town in it. Just too cool for the rest of the mortals on the road.

Since I am in Texas, I modified the windshield a while back to get some more airflow into the cockpit. I still like that modification and highly recommend it.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/modding-the-df-windshield.1741/post-32459

The driver’s line of sight is above the windshield even without any modification. So, for true full protection, you really need to wear a helmet with a full face shield. I kind of like wearing a helmet and the safety and security it gives me. I even like the looks that people have when they see the Goblin AND the driver with a full race helmet. 2QUK4U baby! However, when the wife accompanies me be on our burger / pizza / ice-cream runs, she really does NOT care to put a bucket on. Pony tail holder in the hair – sure. Needed. But she is no helmet fan. And, there is not much conversation when both passengers are wearing helmets. So, to make sure momma stays happy, and will continue to be excited to ride in the Goblin rocket I decided to take a page from Scott’s @SACTX build. He did a full windshield. On our recent three Goblin meetup and drive, he needed no helmet. Pretty cool.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/jason-in-texas-ext-track-09-ss-tc.1531/post-42387

I did a modified version. One that is really just for when the wife rides. So, I made sure it can install and remove in a minute.
I think I will call it the winter windshield. Or maybe the wifeshield(!!??)

Details if you are interested:
hooks used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CVSHW95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
10x32x3/4” bolts with lock nuts on three hooks, and wing nuts on the passenger side hook.
I did have to add a small aluminum flat bar in the middle to keep the bottom edge from deflecting too much.

A big thanks to SACTX for the left over plastic. I owe him a good lunch at least…… We got a good group of Goblin dudes down here.

Goblin on friends!!

View attachment 18849View attachment 18850View attachment 18851View attachment 18852View attachment 18853View attachment 18854View attachment 18855View attachment 18856
I see several people with track frames that have a canvas sun screen on the top. I’m about to order my kit and Im going to order the track Frame. Where did you get the sun screen from?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I made mine and several for others. Details here:

material from amazon:

paracord:

use the 1/2" grommets (no longer available, but 3/8" is):

Last edited:

SACTX

I have plenty of clearance on mine, but I am a shorter dude (5’-7”) and extended my steering wheel as well as lowering it. My steering wheel is probably a total of about 1 1/2 inches lower and at least 2 inches closer to the driver. Check out how I did it on my build log.

I made my windshield by taking it a little bit above the DF windshield mount and bent it back so it comes 2 to 3 inches vertical and then angles back. It’s not as close as if you were to just run a piece of plexiglass on the frame.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I believe anyone with minor mechanical skills can build a Goblin. As long as you can follow instructions well. And DF makes some really "good" instructions. I am sure the newest video series (once posted) will be even better.

I have done an engine swap with my youngest son and his Miata.

And of course the Goblin build. That may have given me some confidence in the garage. So why not add a turbo to my other son's Slingshot? HP addiction seems to be genetic. Turned out to be a nice weekend project. Same engine family as our Goblins - Ecotec. However, the 2019 version is a little cleaner. :)

IMG_9458.jpg