Jay’s Build Log- Track Goblin, extended #323, 07 SS SC

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have had a lot of EPS (electronic power steering) issues. When the EPS is not working right, it stops the gm high speed LAN data from flowing to the BCM and OBDII port. Then the instrument panel looses the gauges, and the key won't start the engine. If I turn the key on, and I energize the purple wire on the starter (jumping the starter) it will start, and run, even drive, if you don't mind not having the gauges and power steering assistance. Replacing the EPS fixes the problem... until the next rain storm gets water inside the EPS.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You should be able to disconnect the eps from the data wire chain completely, similar to how you would to install the Saturn Vue steering. I don’t think the stock eps actually uses any data from any other part of the car, only using the data wires y to o report problems.

jayrolls

I have had a lot of EPS (electronic power steering) issues. When the EPS is not working right, it stops the gm high speed LAN data from flowing to the BCM and OBDII port. Then the instrument panel looses the gauges, and the key won't start the engine. If I turn the key on, and energize the purple wire on the starter (jumping the starter) it will start, and run, even drive, if you don't mind not having the gauges and power steering assistance. Replacing the EPS fixes the problem... until the next rain storm gets water inside the EPS.
Ross,
That sounds like exactly what I am dealing with/experience. I think I am going to ohm out the wires just to make sure, but i think I am also going g to order the EPS.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If what Ross is talking about is your problem it is likely causing “noise” in the data system. When I installed the Vue steering, the data transfer was acting strangely until I added the 60ohm resistor back in.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Ross,
That sounds like exactly what I am dealing with/experience. I think I am going to ohm out the wires just to make sure, but i think I am also going g to order the EPS.
Might as well get the Vue unit and add in the ability to adjust the steering.

jayrolls

I have had a lot of EPS (electronic power steering) issues. When the EPS is not working right, it stops the gm high speed LAN data from flowing to the BCM and OBDII port. Then the instrument panel looses the gauges, and the key won't start the engine. If I turn the key on, and I energize the purple wire on the starter (jumping the starter) it will start, and run, even drive, if you don't mind not having the gauges and power steering assistance. Replacing the EPS fixes the problem... until the next rain storm gets water inside the EPS.
Ross,

Do you by chance have the PN# for the EPS?

Ross

Goblin Guru
No... but I just go to used auto store (AKA junk yard) and buy another EPS unit. $60 last time I went, but they gave me the EPS, whole steering wheel, pogo sticks and keys.

jayrolls

No... but I just go to used auto store (AKA junk yard) and buy another EPS unit. $60 last time I went, but they gave me the EPS, whole steering wheel, pogo sticks and keys.
Ok they have the motor on rock auto. Is that all you have been replacing?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes. The motor is soldered to the circuit board/EPS controller unit, so they are sold as one unit.

Traé

Installed the new dual gauge pod for the boost and AFR gauges. Cut and modified a button panel for my heated seat switches, dimmer, fog lights button and 12v usb plug. Not the prettiest, but it functions. Have the oem seat belts out getting rebuilt. Hope to have them and the side panels back on next weekend. Get the alignment corrected and I should be ready to start driving.
How is the headroom with the track frame and stock seats? I just read on DFs part list that the racing seats help with this. Did you find the stock seats to sit up too high?

jayrolls

How is the headroom with the track frame and stock seats? I just read on DFs part list that the racing seats help with this. Did you find the stock seats to sit up too high?
I’m 6’2” and my head is still in side. I feel very comfortable. I stuck with the stock seats because I’m a big guy and the race seats are just too tight for my waist. I feel there is plenty of room with the stock, now with a helmet on, the top of the helmet at my height would probably stick out.

Traé

I’m 6’2” and my head is still in side. I feel very comfortable. I stuck with the stock seats because I’m a big guy and the race seats are just too tight for my waist. I feel there is plenty of room with the stock, now with a helmet on, the top of the helmet at my height would probably stick out.
Thank you! I’m a hair under 6’ so I should be good. I wanted to reuse to save a few buckaroos.