Jay’s Build Log- Track Goblin, extended #323, 07 SS SC

jayrolls

Assembly Day - 5
Subframe mostly installed, solid transmission mounts installed, rear coil overs, tow link and knuckles installed. Just need to torque everything down. She’s really starting to look like something. Goal is to get the first start this weekend.

Attachments

jayrolls

Assembly Day -6
Grounds are connected. Shift cable bracket installed. Fuse box loosely stalled. It appears my frame has a tab welded in for the upper fuse block mounting point. My hardware bag still had the coated clamp and the 90 degree bracket. I’m assuming that is no longer required. It does look like I need a spacer. Drive axles installed. Oil cooler loosely installed. Lines are ran, topped off the oil cooler with oil. Main power cable from battery to starter installed and from starter to fuse box ran.

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried doing the crank relearn without the parking brake set?

It might be worth a try.

jayrolls

Assembly Day -7
Didn't like the mounting options on the first remote clutch reservoir that I tried. Order a different one from Wilwood and am much happier With the mounting. It’s knowing I was going to run a remote clutch reservoir I ordered a new brake reservoir from an automatic. its slow going so far today, just too hot in the garage at the moment. Hopefully more to follow today.

Attachments

jayrolls

Assembly Day -7
Didn't like the mounting options on the first remote clutch reservoir that I tried. Order a different one from Wilwood and am much happier With the mounting. It’s knowing I was going to run a remote clutch reservoir I ordered a new brake reservoir from an automatic. its slow going so far today, just too hot in the garage at the moment. Hopefully more to follow today.
Slow going today. Managed to get the fuse box installed, installed the battery and hooked it up. First checks complete. Key turns to on and the dash came alive, was able to pull codes. Pressed the clutch pedal and the engine cracks. Not ready to start yet, but one step closer. Broke a nipple on the old fuel pump, decided to just get a new one. Was able to source one locally, plan to install tomorrow. Used the ABS eliminator, seems to have worked great. Only problem I am seeing so far is my OBDII port seems to have power even when the key is off?
ABS light went out. Plan for tomorrow:
- Install fuel pump
- hook up oil pressure gage to ensure new ZZP motor has oil pressure before starting
- wire in head lights, tail lights and turn signals, then op-check them all
- finish installation of engine side radiator lines
- install coolant reservoir
- install ZZP option B reservoir and connect heat exchanger and all SC lines
- start motor

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
“Only problem I am seeing so far is my OBDII port seems to have power even when the key is off?”

The DLC (data link connector) always has power and ground.

jayrolls

“Only problem I am seeing so far is my OBDII port seems to have power even when the key is off?”

The DLC (data link connector) always has power and ground.
I’m not use to a code reader being powered up when the key is off.

jayrolls

Assembly Day - 8
Installed fuel pump and verified gauge is readying fuel. Hooked up oil pressure gauge and verified engine is building oil pressure. Installed and hooked up head lights, mirror turn signals, tail lights, license plate light and third brake light. Op-checked them all, everything working like it should. Installed main coolant reservoir, installed bracket for option B reservoir, but the way the main line comes off it would not set in the bracket. Didn’t manage to get the heat exchanger and SC lines connected. Air filter and mass air flow hooked up, just need to install the oil catch can and pcv lines.

I am getting my butt kicked with the passenger side engine compartment radiator line. The parts that I have would work if I was not supercharged.

Attachments

Last edited:

jayrolls

Everything from 1996 (obdII) should be.
Assembly Day - 8
Installed fuel pump and verified gauge is readying fuel. Hooked up oil pressure gauge and verified engine is building oil pressure. Installed and hooked up head lights, mirror turn signals, tail lights, license plate light and third brake light. Op-checked them all, everything working like it should. Installed main coolant reservoir, installed bracket for option B reservoir, but the way the main line comes off it would not set in the bracket. Didn’t manage to get the heat exchanger and SC lines connected. Air filter and mass air flow hooked up, just need to install the oil catch can and pcv lines.

I am getting my butt kicked with the passenger side engine compartment radiator line. The parts that I have would work if I was not supercharged.
Had to go get another 72049 radiator hose. I had cut it like in the video, however being supercharged that is different. with the new hose, I officially have the entire cooling system plumbed.

jayrolls

Assembly Day - 9
Officially have all the coolant lines run and topped off with Dexcool. Got all of the supercharge coolant lines installed as well. Ran into my first real problem. The heat exchanger fan does not turn on. With key on, verified 11.6 VDC on the wires going to the heat exchanger fan. The fan just does not turn on. Gonna have to email about it. Installed an oil catch can. Had to get creative with where to put it. Installed lower front of the engine, attached to the transmission. Will still be able to see the sight gage, so I think it will work. I am officially ready to start the motor. Just waiting for the wife to get home. Want her to video the first start.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Better throw a battery charger on it at 11.6v. If you are giving voltage to the fan and it's not cutting on, either you have a bad ground, a bad fan, or there is a relay built into the fan (doubtful but I don't know the SC). This is assuming your voltage is measured at the fan, not at the supply end with bad wire in between.

jayrolls

Better throw a battery charger on it at 11.6v. If you are giving voltage to the fan and it's not cutting on, either you have a bad ground, a bad fan, or there is a relay built into the fan (doubtful but I don't know the SC). This is assuming your voltage is measured at the fan, not at the supply end with bad wire in between.
Yeah the battery is now on the charger. I read the voltage at the connector going directly to the fan.

jayrolls

You read voltage at the connector, what about ground?
I read voltage across the hot and the ground. I also read voltage going positive on the connector to ground on the battery and ground on the connector to positive on the battery. Any of the 3 ways I read it it’s the same.