Jeff's Extended Track - 07 SS/SC Donor - Chassis #91

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
The deed is done... time finally came to put in my order last night (4/10/2018).

In August 2017, I stumbled across this OfftheRanch guy named Matt on youtube and he was talking about a kit car / race car he was getting delivered. I had no idea what DemolitionRanch even was. So I did my research and found out as much as I could about the Goblin and told my wife, "I'm going to wait 1 year and if I still have a bug to get this "kit car", we'll do it." That lasted 3 weeks when I found an unmolested 2007 SS/SC at the local Copart near Columbus, OH in Sept 2017. I won the bid at $1,200 and Copart had to add their fees making it $1,680 donor. It had 118K miles on it... not bad, but not great.
IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0326.JPG IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0329.JPG IMG_0330.JPG
The car ran and drove, so I was able to drive it up on the trailer without issue. Got it home and started stripping. In the second picture below, the car still ran and so I drove it around the neighborhood and got some strange looks.
IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0386.JPG
The bolt for sub frame was spinning in the nut cage so I had to cut through the floor board to teach it a lesson:
IMG_0420.JPG
I'll add more info in the next post! Oh, Adam said my chassis was #91.

Last edited:

theeulogy

Nice, where in Ohio are you located? I am in WV but right on the border by Marietta. I too found the Goblin kit from Matt of "Demolition Ranch".

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the congrats and the encouragement!

The engine came out fairly easy and I continued to strip the car in Oct. and Nov. I'm amazed by some of you guys stripping the car in a weekend or two. I spent about two months doing it.
IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0433.JPG
A friend of mine came and got the shell for scrap, so he took it to a scrap yard. They told him they couldn't take it unless they had the title, but they wouldn't need the title if the car was cut in half, soooo...
IMG_20171103_165858985.jpg IMG_20171103_171609968_HDR.jpg Shell at Junkyard.jpg
December I did the wiring harness...
IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

While I wait for the kit to be built, I'm on engine cleaning duty. Just borrowed an engine hoist tonight and will be placing the engine on a stand this weekend. I'll take the transmission off and see what the clutch looks like. If it looks warn, I'll most likely try to find a new GMPP LSJ clutch kit.

Next update will be a couple of weeks from now after I've prepped the engine or when I have my next question. :)

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Is wet around the clutch release/slave cylinder? Known issue that the stock unit would over extend and cause issues. Leak.
Those black spots on the flywheel look like burnt oil or grease residue.
The area around the flywheel bolts look like its wet. Or is that clutch lining dust?
If its dust buildup, then the clutch has been slipping.
I would replace it. You already have it apart now.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't even risk it! You have it apart, trying to do that after the car is built would not be fun at all. Mine got wet from the power washer and rusted and pitted pretty bad so I replaced everything. That is one thing I would highly recommend to replace. It should come with the throw-out bearing also.

dperkins

You could use that, rusting is normal because the flywheel housing is open to the elements with a little hatch on top on the tranny. A better idea would be to replace both though. I would recommend the ZZP or Fidanza aluminum flywheel and a S1 clutch + TOB. I used Fidanza and a south bend stage 4 clutch because I am going high power, but overall they are both amazing together.

KJP

Flywheel is ok but could be resurfaced which is pretty inexpensive.

Clutch disk could use replacement and the tob and pressure plate should be done at the same time

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I would assume everyone who took the trans off would end up seeing the same thing. I am trying not to get get ahead of myself replacing everything. My engine only had 73k on it so I am going to assume my clutch is good.

KJP

I would assume everyone who took the trans off would end up seeing the same thing. I am trying not to get get ahead of myself replacing everything. My engine only had 73k on it so I am going to assume my clutch is good.
In my experience at about 180 tq on a stock clutch the clutch normally goes about 100-130k.
Driving style and ability (new driver) makes a huge difference here.

Minimum I would open it up take a look at the wear and put a LNF TOB on it while it's out of the car.
It's just a handfull of 18mms to get it off

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The factory clutch replacement is crazy cheap though. I put a new oem clutch in mine and it’s held up great so far.