Jesse's (WI) Track Goblin #400 - 06 SS/SC Donor

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker here. I have been looking at Goblins for the last 3-4 years and finally pulled trigger just after Christmas. Got the email shortly after, that we are frame #400! That makes my OCD happy.

I never had the space or tools to take on a project like this. However, just last year we ended up buying a 4200 sq.ft. airplane hanger with an attached house, and this fall I have been buying tools in preparation for the build.

The Goblin has always had my interest, as I have been looking for something to replace the void from getting out of motorcycles. I have had a handful of bikes in my past(mostly sport bikes). With the increase of inattentive drivers on the road today, and my lack of self control I decided it would be best to sell everything. The last thing I wanted, was for my wife to be left alone in this world because of a hobby of mine. I understand the Goblin may not fair much better in some scenarios, but on average I think with the cage and harnesses, we will be a lot safer. Plus the wife will be much more comfortable in the Goblin.

I work for a company that makes turbo kits, tuning and other go-fast parts for the SXS/UTV market, and the Goblin has a ton of similarities to SXS's so it caught my eye right away. I had originally been looking at other kit cars, and some convertibles before I found the Goblin. The Goblin fits everything I was looking for. Good power/weight, open air, unique, budget friendly-ish, and I was also looking for the enjoyment of the build process as well. This will be a project for me and the wife to enjoy (bonus, she is a better welder than I am).

For the most part, I intend to daily drive the Goblin on nicer days, go on shorter road trips, sightseeing, and just go out for a cruise when we are bored. Everything I used to do with a motorcycle. I also got the tow bar, so we can take it on longer roads trips across America.

I had been looking for a donor for about 6 months prior to putting the deposit down on the kit. I had lost hope that I was going to find a good donor for a decent price, and decided to pull the trigger on the kit first and keep looking while the kit is being built. Literally 2 days after putting the deposit down, I found a 2006 SS/SC Donor with 140,000 miles for $1000. The car is in pretty rough shape on the outside, but the engine seems to be in good shape. I live in Wisconsin, so rust is something we have to deal with. I had already assumed that most of the suspension that was getting reused, would need to be purchased new. I am in the process of figuring out what needs to be replaced. The transmission is also something that may need replacing. The kid I bought the car from said it had issues shifting but he "fixed" it. I haven't driven it yet, so I am not sure where that stands.

I am considering doing a headgasket, timing chain, and dual pass while the engine is out, just for piece of mind. I have not started the disassembly process yet. I have a few projects in the garage I want to wrap up first, so I can give all of my attention to the kit car. I also want to drive the car for a bit, just to see if there are any other gremlins before I tear it down.

As of right now, I am planning to mock-up the car first prior to powder coating, as there are some changes I want to make. I am planning to add a harness bar at the proper height as I am 6'3" and most of that is in the torso. I also want to make aluminum side panels that cover the entire side of the car, and use 1/4 turn quick release fasteners. I want to have a roof made for the car, for sunny days. I plan to use the rigid chase light, for the taillights. I also have a cool idea for a set of aerodynamic headlights, but I need to get the car in person before I know if that'll work. I am going to be using Kirkey 65 series seats as I am a bigger guy and need all the room I can get. Hoping to fit 18.5" on both sides, but may have to go with a smaller passenger seat. I plan to make a custom windshield, set for my height, that matches the angle of the front of the cage. Undecided on wheels/tires, and colors as of now.

Since I am in Wisconsin, I will be going with the Montana LLC route for the title and registration.

So far the only things that concern me, is the wiring harness, and the Montana LLC portion. Everything else is definitely within my skillset.

274094963_249811634008792_8596614376693377178_n.jpg274159099_1156618055167379_2102963352957720772_n.jpg274353763_488819739305288_3110276905845952182_n.jpg274358778_240592678281350_5276332660485399969_n (1).jpg

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! That sure looks like a primo donor! Doing the dual pass while the engine's out is a no-brainer, as are the timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide bolt. I wouldn't recommend a head gasket unless you think there's a reason the motor needs it, but that's completely up to you.

devianteng

Welcome! Donor looks pretty good where it matters. I've been considering Kirkey 65's as well. I'm hoping to have my frame in the next few weeks so I can measure out for them before I order them. I'm really hoping they'll fit.

Like said already, dual pass is a must as well as updating the timing tensioner (really the whole kit if the car needs it).

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jesse, welcome. Love the F100 also occupying the garage - and see 'Walters Repair' on the door, guessing this was your father's or grandfather's truck?

Where at in Wisconsin?

There are a few other Wisconsin Goblins roaming around, most notably @Fozda In Janesville. I used to be just south in the Beloit area.

Your shop looks ideal for teardown - so git'r'dun!!!

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum! :)

That looks like a perfect donor.

As far as the wiring harness and the Montana LLC goes, I completed my own harness with some frustration and if I can do it, anybody can, including you! The Montana LLC is a piece of cake; there's plenty of info about both on the forum and there's plenty of quality people here to help you.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
So far the only things that concern me, is the wiring harness, and the Montana LLC portion. Everything else is definitely within my skillset.
I was on the fence about the harness and Lonny convinced me to give it a try. It seemed daunting at first, next it was just sticky, and by the time I was done I started to miss the 2 hours I would spend with it each night.

I'll be tackling the Montana process here soon hopefully (chassis gets back from powder coat tomorrow) but many others have gone through it recently and it is very well documented.

It's nice to see another Goblin in the IL/WI area. I've met Fozda already and hope to meet the other owners in this area eventually too.

Jesse, welcome. Love the F100 also occupying the garage - and see 'Walters Repair' on the door, guessing this was your father's or grandfather's truck?

Where at in Wisconsin?

There are a few other Wisconsin Goblins roaming around, most notably @Fozda In Janesville. I used to be just south in the Beloit area.

Your shop looks ideal for teardown - so git'r'dun!!!
Yes, the F100 was my grandfathers. He used to work on the assembly line at Ford in 1954, and really loved these trucks. He bought this one in the late 70's and did a complete restoration. He did everything himself in his workshop, I even remember helping him reinstall the front windshield when I was really young. He wanted to sell it as it wasn't getting driven. I couldn't let this one go down the road to someone else. Not necessarily my style, but I don't have the heart to change a thing. In my eyes, it's still his truck I am just holding on to it for him.

I also have a 78 Dodge D100 from my father waiting to get some love as well. Plan to drop a 440 in that one. I think the Goblin is going to come first though.

I am in north western Wisconsin, by the twin cities.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Cool. I live in a airfield neighborhood, roughly 50-60 hangar/houses. 4 taxiways with a grass runway. Not everyone flys, but we have some really cool planes in the neighborhood.

Took the cobalt out for a drive yesterday, and learned a few things.

The transmission is very difficult to shift. Finding any gear is a struggle. I never did find 5th.... I am really contemplating getting one of the new F23's from DF and just doing the swap right away.

The car was only making 4psi on the boost gauge and seemed pretty slow. I was told when I bought the car it had a smaller pulley on the supercharger, long tube headers and a tune. Previous owner said it should make 11-12psi. I don't even know what stock is for these.

I did also put the car in low power mode twice. Once when I missed 2nd gear while winding it out. And the other time when I screwing around in the snow. Both times when the car was idling in low power mode it was running super rough on less than 4 cylinders. I haven't checked the codes yet, but when I restarted the car it ran fine.

I am thinking I should just title the car and get the bugs worked out while I am waiting on the kit. I definitely need to throw a muffler on it though, as it is straight piped right now and sounds ridiculous.

Ross

Goblin Guru
11 to 12psi is the stock boost on a supercharged LSJ. Sounds like you have a boost leak, or maybe the intercooler laminova tubes are plugged up.
You probably have some engine codes that need sorting out.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Could be the boost control solenoid. That’s the most common fault when it it flatlines at 4 psi. Mine did. Looks for codes

gofast

Welcome. I'm also one of the Wisconsin builders. I'm located in Hixton, east of Eau Claire. No build log yet, but my 2009 SS-TC is dismantled. I bought my kit nearly two years ago, and I plan to get it on the road this year. I've been gathering parts and planning some changes that require minor cutting and welding of the frame. If things go as planned, I'll be driving the completed car to the Goblinfest. I'm setting my car up for comfort street driving. I'll get a build log started when I get going in earnest.