Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The other neighbors just got confirmation that you are still the "cool kid on the block"......

Congrats on the first drive!

Please give us a good report from the weekend coming up.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Hell, I’m the quiet one in my neighborhood. :D

100’ drags sounds interesting. All about traction there. :oops:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We loaded the car up Thursday and hauled it up to Idaho. Installed the firewall and spent the rest of the day trying to make it run right. Replaced a cam sensor connector, but still won't run right with the MAF connected. We are still getting AIT of - 40, so something is wrong. - 40 is as low as it goes, so I think it shows - 40 when it's getting no reading.
I'm still wondering if we have a wiring issue.

We went ahead and ran it at the 100 ft drags, mostly out of principle to meet the goal. They classed us with everything making over 1000hp,so we never had a chance. Also, Jimbo and Ken have never run a tree and this tree was a hard one. No pre-stage light and prolights made for a tough start for new drivers.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim, from the video I believe you did an ok showing considering that your Goblin was not running correctly. They are just lucky you were not, otherwise you would have been spanking some of those high horsepower (and high dollar) vehicles. Congrats! :D

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
After running the Konig Tandem 17x9.5 , we have had a slight rub.

20200805_162921.jpg

20200710_175645.jpg

20200710_175323.jpg

Edit : just noticed from the pic that it got the brake line as well.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
After running the Konig Tandem 17x9.5 , we have had a slight rub.

View attachment 15935

View attachment 15936

View attachment 15937

Edit : just noticed from the pic that it got the brake line as well.
Jim did you try putting the split collars into the steering rack as turn stops to prevent the rubbing issue?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Jim did you try putting the split collars into the steering rack as turn stops to prevent the rubbing issue?
Honestly, I've been telling people it doesn't hit, it was only after Jeff asked, that I went to send him a pic and noticed it had touched. I was just going to leave it alone and not turn to the lock and nail the throttle, but these things turn rediculously sharp, so I may add a stop.

In normal driving, I don't think It would rub. It's the fact that we were on a 2 lane highway doing well over 100 pulls and that's over 200 u-turns. We burned nearly a full tank doing pulls. (yeah, it's running a bit rich). One of the kids must have been a little overzealous in his u-turn.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have any idea why brake lights would be on in any gear, not on in park, and don't work when the brake pedal is pushed.

Is there a non-shop way to calibrate the brake pedal position sensor? It does work well enough to disengage the shifter lockout so you can put it in gear.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Yes ish

Cobalt BPPS
Transmission disconnected - brake lights on continously
Transmission connected - brake lights on only when in gear

HHR BPPS mounted in HHR pedal box w/ pedal undepressed/up
Transmission disconnected - no brakes lights
Transmission connected - no brake lights

Side note?? When we were running the car, upon deceleration, transmission free wheels. No converter lockup? Could this have to do with the same probelm?

I'm really lost on where to look. I don't understand all data well enough to find answers.

Is there a scanner that I can buy to relearn the BPPS? Does HP tuners have that capability?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The GM Tech2 will show the brake pedal position, but I can't find information a BPP sensor relearn.
A VXDIAG VXC Nano is a knock off of the GM Tech2, at a smaller price.
But you are going down the rabbit hole of technology here...

I haven't seen any brake pedal info in HP Tuners, but there is accelerator pedal info. I'm not sure my 06 Cobalt has the BPP sensor, so it might look different when connected to your donor.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
So, A9 and A12 of BCM C3 give the same results, so, that rules out a short in the loom. The wiring from the bcm to the lights is good and now I know that the probelm is either the bcm or upstream of the bcm.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
15975482772028370528788638887609.jpg

Does anyone know what this connector is for? DF did my wiring, and they looped the data wires. I'm still trying to figure out my brake light probelm. Also, I hooked up my steering wheel controls wiring today and nothing works there except the horn button. When I unhook said plug above, the low fuel and power steering warning alternates on the display. Odometer is the only other thing that we see on the display.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Did your donor have an RPD? It looks like DF just made up a data wire passthrough and plugged it in there. The only thing I can think of that the data wires pass through up there is the RPD.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
That is for the RPD option, the looped connector was original to your wiring harness.

If someone wanted the RPD option, the dealership would unplug the looped connector and plug in the RPD.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
That is for the RPD option, the looped connector was original to your wiring harness.

If someone wanted the RPD option, the dealership would unplug the looped connector and plug in the RPD.
Lonny, I'm Stull struggling with brake light issues, and now finding instrument cluster issues. I hooked up the stock steering wheel switches, and the only thing that works is the horn. When you did the wiring, you changed out the hhr dash connector and wired in the cobalt connector, do you remember, did you guys fire up the dash and cycle through any of the screens on the little display? They wull cycle when ecm/bcm initiated, but not when you use the info button. The hazards button doesn't work either.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Did a few more brake light tests. The HHR bpps is completely opposite that of the Cobalt. Even the voltages are backward. I will need to fab a new mount for the hhr to cobalt bpps adaption. Still need to do a bpps relearn. No brake lights yet.

Put hinges on the hood today. Still need to glass some stiffeners into the hood, and figure out how to put gas struts/lifts to limit the travel and dampen any violent openings.

20200822_154159.jpg

20200822_155004.jpg

20200822_160859.jpg

20200822_155645.jpg

We put a little rounded lip to protect the fiberglass in the case of an inadvertent bump with the parking stops.