Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I guess I've put off starting my build log as long as I can. Building with materials is way easier for me than building with words,however, this forum has been such a huge support for me on this project that I feel like I need to give back where I can.

Our build will be a crazy little mutant of a Goblin.

20190824_133208.jpg

We started out with a 1 year plan to purchase our stage one kit and then through a series of events I now find myslef being the proud owner of a stage 1 kit, a 2006 Cobalt SS/NA 2.4L AUTOMATIC, and a 2009 HHR SS/TC Automatic.

We purchased the cobalt for $2300, which buy the way, became my son's daily driver. The day after we bought it, Chris Sanchez (check this) says, "have you considered and HHR as a donor". Now starts the ride that we've put ourselves on. You can kind of watch that thought process unfold in one of my other threads. (quote thread here)

We then started the quest to find an HHR SS/TC Automatic suitable for a donor. Hhr SS's are much more rare than Cobalts. I found a used one with a bunch of miles on it about 300 miles from home. My 21 year old son decided to go deep sea fishing with my brother in law and long story short, he drove the HHR home. $2200.

So….. In this build log I hope to document how compatabe an HHR SS/TC is as a donor The whole purpose of this build is to develope an LNF powered Goblin with an automatic transmission for use by an individual that does not have the use of their legs. ie: me, a T-12 paraplegic.

I plan on using as many cobalt parts as possible because they will all bolt right into the Goblin, however, because I am using the HHR SS with Auto trans, I will need to use all of the HHR electrical so the ECM and TCM will play nicely together. That may necessitate the use of HHR stearing , Pedal box, and other items. Time will tell.

So, here we go.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Woohooo. Stage one is here. Was going to wait a year to start this but after another Vegas local #Grantcropper placed his order, I figured we could all save a little by combining freight. It's like Christmas. Just wish it had stage 2 with it as well
20190823_104051.jpg
20190823_144433.jpg

lksohm

Congrats! Your build will be the first of it's kind from the sound of it. It sounds like you have done plenty of research and are well prepared.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Woohooo. Stage one is here. Was going to wait a year to start this but after another Vegas local #Grantcropper placed his order, I figured we could all save a little by combining freight. It's like Christmas. Just wish it had stage 2 with it as well View attachment 9912View attachment 9913
I recognized those guys and the truck, and your frame is right where I left it on the back of the truck. ;) See everything made it to Vegas in one piece. Yep, a lot like Christmas with all of the shiny new parts arriving and a chassis that at least resembles a Goblin. This is going to be a real adventure treading new ground with the HHR as a donor. Sounds like your son is engaged - he gets a really nice Cobalt out of the deal - and it will be good experience for him to gain more car wrenching knowledge. Since cooler weather is coming - we hope - you can get started soon!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Good luck!
Thanks. So we took it for its Vin inspection and it's the first time I've ridden in the HHR. Whoooaaa. It has a lot of chain noise. I think that's the last time I'm going to start it until it has a new chain, guides and tensioner. . I'd like to think I'm smart enough to learn from others experiences.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Thanks. So we took it for its Vin inspection and it's the first time I've ridden in the HHR. Whoooaaa. It has a lot of chain noise. I think that's the last time I'm going to start it until it has a new chain, guides and tensioner. . I'd like to think I'm smart enough to learn from others experiences.
Yes sir, I am a perfect example.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I was aware that we had a bad main seal but didn't realize just how much it was puking. I think that's an easy fix, but after tearing the front end apart, it looks like we have some other leaks as well.
20190914_114912.jpg

After some cleaning
20190914_163142.jpg

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I've never seen this before. We were cleaning with ZEP PURPLE. If you look closely, you can see that the LCA came out looking new, but the engine block and front MM look terrible. I cleaned my Duramx charge pipe the same day( leaking power stearing hose) and it looked beautiful as well.
20190914_120101.jpg
20190914_165226.jpg

Christopher Sanchez

I guess I've put off starting my build log as long as I can. Building with materials is way easier for me than building with words,however, this forum has been such a huge support for me on this project that I feel like I need to give back where I can.

Our build will be a crazy little mutant of a Goblin.

View attachment 9911

We started out with a 1 year plan to purchase our stage one kit and then through a series of events I now find myslef being the proud owner of a stage 1 kit, a 2006 Cobalt SS/NA 2.4L AUTOMATIC, and a 2009 HHR SS/TC Automatic.

We purchased the cobalt for $2300, which buy the way, became my son's daily driver. The day after we bought it, Chris Sanchez (check this) says, "have you considered and HHR as a donor". Now starts the ride that we've put ourselves on. You can kind of watch that thought process unfold in one of my other threads. (quote thread here)

We then started the quest to find an HHR SS/TC Automatic suitable for a donor. Hhr SS's are much more rare than Cobalts. I found a used one with a bunch of miles on it about 300 miles from home. My 21 year old son decided to go deep sea fishing with my brother in law and long story short, he drove the HHR home. $2200.

So….. In this build log I hope to document how compatabe an HHR SS/TC is as a donor The whole purpose of this build is to develope an LNF powered Goblin with an automatic transmission for use by an individual that does not have the use of their legs. ie: me, a T-12 paraplegic.

I plan on using as many cobalt parts as possible because they will all bolt right into the Goblin, however, because I am using the HHR SS with Auto trans, I will need to use all of the HHR electrical so the ECM and TCM will play nicely together. That may necessitate the use of HHR stearing , Pedal box, and other items. Time will tell.

So, here we go.
I once again apologize for any and all future headaches you may develop with this build. haha! You seem to be very organized and have a capable team working with you on this unique monster! I will be watching this build every step of the way! Keep up the good updates/ pics for us even if it is a pain in the A$$, I'm sure you have quite a few people watching! Exciting stuff!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I once again apologize for any and all future headaches you may develop with this build. haha! You seem to be very organized and have a capable team working with you on this unique monster! I will be watching this build every step of the way! Keep up the good updates/ pics for us even if it is a pain in the A$$, I'm sure you have quite a few people watching! Exciting stuff!
Thanks. I don't know how capable we are, but you guys are a wealth of knowledge so should be do able. I'm super excited to really get started and super excited to use the HHR as a donor. I think it will make an awesome car. It's finally cooling down here so hopefully we can start getting the donor stripped.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Just have exaust and wiring and the motor will be out.

Is there a cheap/free place to get accurate wiring diaphragms? I bought a digital "service manual" but the wiring diagrams didn't match what we have with the HHR. Our fuse box and various computers are not like the ones I see in all of your cobalt pics.

When people on the forum are talking about canbus and gmlan, are the using these terms interchangeably? Am I understanding these systems correctly, gmlan is a form or canbus? Ones and zeros are traveling through the wires to the various ECMs and sensors, not reastatic voltage changes? I'm just wanting to have a clear understanding of data VS analog wiring before I get to the thinning stage.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
This is such a cool donor!

It looks like the wiring harness for the HHR is very similar to a cobalt harness. I think there is a good chance it could be reworked the same way we rework our harnesses. It looks like the pedal switches are the same as the late model cobalt switches. so you could use cobalt pedal with an HHR harness. The accelerator pedal connector may need to be changed to a cobalt connector. Googling around it looks like the BCM, TCM, EPS, turnsignal switch, ignition switch and ECM all look the same as a cobalt.

I sure hope this works out, an automatic turbo Goblin would be awesome. I think I would build one for myself.

Let me know if you want us to rework your harness, I will do it for the $925 that we charge to rework a cobalt harness.
I would really like to compare the pin outs of the ECM and BCM connectors to a cobalts. I bet they are simular.

If you rework the harness yourself and have questions let me know, I bet between us we can figure it out.