Joel's "new-to-me" standard track Goblin #007 - '10 SS/TC manual

Jm12

Whereas many journeys here begin with a donor and a deposit, mine begins with a flight itinerary and some crossed fingers.

I live in TN, the car is in UT. Being that the industry is in peak season and trying to make up for lost revenue during the pandemic, transport costs are insane right now- what would've cost around $800 is now $2K. At some point I decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money to get the car back home I was going to have some fun doing it, so a a brave co-driver/dedicated friend and I will be flying out, seeing the sights for a couple of days, then driving the new (to me) car the 25 hours and 1700+ miles back home- hopefully in 2 days. I've got a very accommodating seller that's helping us get prepped for the journey. We'll be installing a cargo box up top, a 12v adapter for gps/radar/etc, resistor for cruise control, and maybe some other odds and ends. We're hoping that the car and the weather cooperates during our very narrow window of travel. We don't have a plan B. We need some luck.

So why a Goblin? In short, I wanted something stupidly overpowered and beyond my abilities as a driver. Something that I could grow into and customize to my preferences and skill level over time. I think I've made a good choice.

The slightly longer version of how I landed on a Goblin: I started with motorcycles before moving to cars- more out of necessity than want. As life got busier and responsibilities stacked up I just wasn't finding the time to ride anymore despite living less than an hour from US-129, tons of other great roads, and a variety of tracks within a few hours' drive. In the last couple of years I've picked up AutoX and done pretty well from a competitive standpoint in Street. I really enjoy it as it scratches an itch that I have for competition, but it doesn't fully fill the void that sportbikes left behind. I miss the sensation of being just barely in control of the machine I'm operating and so I started looking for something affordable that could replace that feeling, only in 4 wheeled form. I looked at a handful of options including other kit cars and swapped Miatas. Most were underpowered or overpriced. Once I started looking into the DFG it felt like I'd found what I was looking for.

Building my own seemed like a good idea at first until I thought it through. Realistically I just lack the time, tools, and space to pull it off. I knew pretty much exactly what I was after and it wasn't long before I saw that Ben had put his up for sale. He was selling his for a very competitive price and I'd always wanted to spend some time in Moab. Despite initial threats of bodily harm if I purchased an adult go kart, my wife eventually encouraged me to fly out to pick up the car. She's a good one. Also, we're getting a new fridge and stove.

So what are the goals with this car? First and foremost it will be a competition machine for AutoX. I know I would have been better off starting with a SS/SC if money were no object, but money definitely is an object and I know that I can make more power for a lower investment with a SS/TC before the car turns into a money pit. It's street legal so it'll see action in the mountains as well. Comfort is clearly a tertiary concern- I want it to move fast through tight twisty stuff and that's it. In general, I'm looking for something to replace the bike and I think this thing can do it.

What do I want to change when I get it? The list has already started, roughly in the following order. I welcome discussion and/or feedback on anything that is or isn't mentioned:
  • Flash tune - Biggest bang for the buck to my knowledge. Currently leaning towards RPM-Motorsports. I've spoken with them, I like their numbers, and I like an underdog.
  • Suspension - Still a lot to read and learn in this department. Looks like Lonny is testing some prototype retrofits right now so I'm not sure how that will affect my decisions.
  • LSD - Oof... I'd just assumed that this would be present on the TC'd models but it looks like it's not. Obviously not a deal breaker, but after reading about the time and money that goes into swapping an open diff for an lsd I'm sort of dreading this.
  • Front sway bar - Related to suspension but appears that there are no off the shelf options in this department. Seems like the biggest bang for the buck custom fabbed component.
  • Aero - For what I'm doing I think this can wait, although it looks awfully nice. Also hoping that there are some developments in the front aero package arena between now and when I'm ready to move forward.
I'm sure the list will grow but for now that's it. My immediate concern is getting us and the car back home intact. Our drive starts in 8 days. We'll be watching the forecasts as our departure date approaches, saying a few little prayers here and there, and hoping for the best. Ben has been a great seller to work with and it looks like he's done a fantastic job with the build. The community is probably getting bumped down a notch by switching him out for me, but I'll do what I can. We'll update with posts and pictures as we go. Wish us luck.

Ross

Goblin Guru
A exciting start to owning a Goblin! Love that you are getting a new fridge and stove. Gotta keep the wife happy. I sold my dirt race motorcycles. You & I both got our Goblin!

GoblinGal

Goblin Guru
Whereas many journeys here begin with a donor and a deposit, mine begins with a flight itinerary and some crossed fingers.

I live in TN, the car is in UT. Being that the industry is in peak season and trying to make up for lost revenue during the pandemic, transport costs are insane right now- what would've cost around $800 is now $2K. At some point I decided that if I was going to spend that kind of money to get the car back home I was going to have some fun doing it, so a a brave co-driver/dedicated friend and I will be flying out, seeing the sights for a couple of days, then driving the new (to me) car the 25 hours and 1700+ miles back home- hopefully in 2 days. I've got a very accommodating seller that's helping us get prepped for the journey. We'll be installing a cargo box up top, a 12v adapter for gps/radar/etc, resistor for cruise control, and maybe some other odds and ends. We're hoping that the car and the weather cooperates during our very narrow window of travel. We don't have a plan B. We need some luck.

So why a Goblin? In short, I wanted something stupidly overpowered and beyond my abilities as a driver. Something that I could grow into and customize to my preferences and skill level over time. I think I've made a good choice.

The slightly longer version of how I landed on a Goblin: I started with motorcycles before moving to cars- more out of necessity than want. As life got busier and responsibilities stacked up I just wasn't finding the time to ride anymore despite living less than an hour from US-129, tons of other great roads, and a variety of tracks within a few hours' drive. In the last couple of years I've picked up AutoX and done pretty well from a competitive standpoint in Street. I really enjoy it as it scratches an itch that I have for competition, but it doesn't fully fill the void that sportbikes left behind. I miss the sensation of being just barely in control of the machine I'm operating and so I started looking for something affordable that could replace that feeling, only in 4 wheeled form. I looked at a handful of options including other kit cars and swapped Miatas. Most were underpowered or overpriced. Once I started looking into the DFG it felt like I'd found what I was looking for.

Building my own seemed like a good idea at first until I thought it through. Realistically I just lack the time, tools, and space to pull it off. I knew pretty much exactly what I was after and it wasn't long before I saw that Ben had put his up for sale. He was selling his for a very competitive price and I'd always wanted to spend some time in Moab. Despite initial threats of bodily harm if I purchased an adult go kart, my wife eventually encouraged me to fly out to pick up the car. She's a good one. Also, we're getting a new fridge and stove.

So what are the goals with this car? First and foremost it will be a competition machine for AutoX. I know I would have been better off starting with a SS/SC if money were no object, but money definitely is an object and I know that I can make more power for a lower investment with a SS/TC before the car turns into a money pit. It's street legal so it'll see action in the mountains as well. Comfort is clearly a tertiary concern- I want it to move fast through tight twisty stuff and that's it. In general, I'm looking for something to replace the bike and I think this thing can do it.

What do I want to change when I get it? The list has already started, roughly in the following order. I welcome discussion and/or feedback on anything that is or isn't mentioned:
  • Flash tune - Biggest bang for the buck to my knowledge. Currently leaning towards RPM-Motorsports. I've spoken with them, I like their numbers, and I like an underdog.
  • Suspension - Still a lot to read and learn in this department. Looks like Lonny is testing some prototype retrofits right now so I'm not sure how that will affect my decisions.
  • LSD - Oof... I'd just assumed that this would be present on the TC'd models but it looks like it's not. Obviously not a deal breaker, but after reading about the time and money that goes into swapping an open diff for an lsd I'm sort of dreading this.
  • Front sway bar - Related to suspension but appears that there are no off the shelf options in this department. Seems like the biggest bang for the buck custom fabbed component.
  • Aero - For what I'm doing I think this can wait, although it looks awfully nice. Also hoping that there are some developments in the front aero package arena between now and when I'm ready to move forward.
I'm sure the list will grow but for now that's it. My immediate concern is getting us and the car back home intact. Our drive starts in 8 days. We'll be watching the forecasts as our departure date approaches, saying a few little prayers here and there, and hoping for the best. Ben has been a great seller to work with and it looks like he's done a fantastic job with the build. The community is probably getting bumped down a notch by switching him out for me, but I'll do what I can. We'll update with posts and pictures as we go. Wish us luck.
Welcome to the Goblin Family! If you need anything for your Goblin or we can help, email us at [email protected]

Scott #321

Have a safe trip. I'm sure Goblin owners along the way would be available for assistance if needed. Problems in Ks and I have a full 09 tc set of parts awaiting a frame to help a fellow out.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
That's a hell of a way to get acquainted with the build! Welcome to the forum! Just thinking out loud on your bullet points:

1. You don't want a remote tune, they're garbage. Eat the cost of HPTuners and learn it yourself - it's fairly easy and we're all here to help

3. Look into the HHR F23 w/ 4.17 final drive and use an LSD insert (Team Green on Facebook). The 4.17 fd is an incredible upgrade and totally worth it. If it were me I'd probably rip on the F35 and build the F23 in parallel as funds allow then swap in the winter time.

4. I don't think you'll need a front sway bar as these have a tendency to understeer out the box, a rear sway bar comes stock woo! Many run without the rear sway bar though.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Good luck and have fun! My friend and I drove from Kansas city to Dallas and Back to KC in 1 day to get the hood installed on the first goblin. I could not feel my butt cheeks for a week after that LOL

But I sure as heck will never forget that trip.

Especially the toll highway in oklahoma where the lady took my ticket at the end looked at the clock and back at the time stamp on the ticket we got when we entered the toll.....

It was something like 68 miles in 40 minutes LOL

Nuker-

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
Can’t wait to hear about and see your trip. Not nearly as exciting but I flew from Detroit to New Jersey to buy my downer and drover it back all in the same day. It was a fantastic trip. I hope yours will be even better

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

OK. First of all, welcome to the club! :)
And, I fully expect an even longer trip report after you are safely back!!
Have fun!!!

Jm12

Cargo box landed in Moab today. Ben took this pic and sent it to me. Looks like it's going to be absolutely perfect. This is the 10 cu.ft. version from JEGS. I almost ordered the 18 cu.ft. version before I found this one and after seeing this I'm so, so glad I didn't.

Attachments

Brett

Cargo box landed in Moab today. Ben took this pic and sent it to me. Looks like it's going to be absolutely perfect. This is the 10 cu.ft. version from JEGS. I almost ordered the 18 cu.ft. version before I found this one and after seeing this I'm so, so glad I didn't.
That's a future plan for me. Curious to see how you iron out the mounting.

Jm12

That's a future plan for me. Curious to see how you iron out the mounting.
It looks like it should be pretty simple. The box comes with hardware but I think it's made to go on flat cross bars or aero bars. I found some u-bolts with a slightly larger diameter than the 1.5-in tubing of the goblin's frame so I will use some butyl rubber as padding, drill some new holes in the bottom of the box, sandwich it between metal plates for reinforcement, and it should mount right up. I'll post pics and any deviations from that plan once we actually do it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you are going to do autocross, 200tw or lower tires will be a must and the QA struts we use in the rear (DF upgrade) would be second on my list. Hell, sticky tire are an absolute must even for street driving with a turbo model.

There are no adjustments on the stock struts, where as the QA ones you can adjust spring pressure and dampening. Since you said you rode a bike fairly hard, you should be very familiar with these adjustment and the reasons why you need them.

Jm12

So chassis #7 is in my possession and I've had a little bit of seat time. I need a lot more. It's so completely different from what I'm used to driving that it's going to take some time to wrap my head around it, but I think it's going to be really good once I do.

First thing I'm trying to do is slam the driver's seat forward. Unfortunately the mounting holes in the Corbeau seat don't seem to come close to lining up with the holes and slider in the rail- the mounting holes in the seat itself seem to be too wide so the rear bolt doesn't line up by 3 or so millimeters. There's no forcing it that I can tell. Am I missing something? I really don't want to take a file to the mounting holes in the rails of I dont have to. Additionally, how to fill the gap between the headrest and the frame if I do move the seat(s) forward? I'll post pics when it stops piss pouring rain outside.

Attachments

Jm12

Somehow, some way, we made it home alive and so did the car. I'll do a write up of the trip in the coming days. In summary, this will make for great stories but I don't think you could pay me to do it again. The first leg of our journey was the roughest. The video below pretty much sums it up. There's a description on the video so I won't repeat myself here.

Regarding the cargo box, it mounted up quickly and easily and did an excellent job of carrying our stuff, but I wouldn't advise it. The wind that is typically deflected up and over the car by the windshield is instead caught, compressed, and accelerated directly into your face. It's basically turns the car into a ram air for your eyeballs. A full face helmet becomes mandatory above ~10MPH. If anyone is still interested I'll post the box I bought and the hardware I used.

Lots of questions on the way after this trip. The car clearly needs an alignment followed by suspension work. Occasionally during hard pulls there can be the tiniest bit of hesitation. I'm not sure if its misfires, detonation, or something else. Maybe the MAF sensor needs to be cleaned after what we put it through, or maybe the problem was present before it came into my possession- I'm just not sure. I'll post specific questions in separate threads or in the FB groups.

The trip home wasn't what I'd planned for or what I wanted, but it was the ultimate shakedown and it proved that these cares are tough. Attached are a few pics from the trip. I can't wait to get this car dialed in.

PXL_20210729_044617984.jpg

PXL_20210730_152529402.jpg

PXL_20210730_154940314.jpg
PXL_20210730_160125575.jpg
PXL_20210730_160230894.jpg
PXL_20210730_193549982.jpg
PXL_20210730_193601143.jpg

PXL_20210731_071703781.jpg
PXL_20210731_071851611.jpg
PXL_20210731_194720789.jpg
PXL_20210801_232112183.jpg
PXL_20210802_022047623.jpg