Joe's 2009 F40 SS/TC #470

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
As things get checked off of the "unknown" list, I get closer to knowing what goes where. That pesky short axle is still on my list. I wish it wasnt such secret world and people could just help each other instead of squirreling away secrets. *coughzzpcough

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
IN TURBO WORLD...THEYRE ALL THE SAME!!
(insert maniacal laughter)
...but for real, wtf did I start?
16847872599553483306232920334896.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Oh no! You're innards are showing! What's really scary is the hammer sitting in the top of the head...and no calibration sticker on it! Can do some real damage with that! :eek::p

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Not much motivation today, but I got out to the carport and pulled the head off of the motor, cleaned up all of the surfaces and gave everything a good cleaning in preperation for part install this coming weekend.
I like UPS, they get my parts here on time or earlier than expected. Fedex and USPS always leave me hanging and disappointed. Waiting on the water pump and balance chains to continue reassembly. I have to clean up that ding in the head previously mentioned, also.

Not a bad day, just not a lot to show.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
My only issue today is where the oil for the turbo mounts to the block sits behind the water pump feed tube, I have to figure out which tube (oil/coolant) goes where before i put that all back together. Its gonna be a good day :)

20230604_115009.jpg
20230604_115129.jpg
20230604_115703.jpg

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Any tips or tricks on installing the opel injectors? Im comfortable installing regular injectors, but these are a bit different and don't want to mess up.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Superduper productive Saturday.
Washed the Jeep.
Got a haircut.
Installed floor pans.
Pulled coolant hoses. I admit, I was super excited that I only had the hose break once, so on the second time I forgot to let the winch out before I cut the hose and now I only have 2.5" of hose on the rear driver side after it shrank. I think Ill be fine. Its still enough to connect a coupler to.
This is what happens when Im left to caffienate and work on car stuff.

20230610_154747.jpg
20230610_191905.jpg
20230610_192611.jpg

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I only have 2.5" of hose on the rear driver side after it shrank. I think Ill be fine. Its still enough to connect a coupler to.
It is. I think mine are about 3” long after trimming. All you ‘need’ is and inch, maybe inch and a half for half of the coupler to slide into.

Of course a little extra is always nice but work with what you have.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Any tips or tricks on installing the opel injectors? Im comfortable installing regular injectors, but these are a bit different and don't want to mess up.
Might be late to this question but if they have new seals it's not any different from other injectors - put 'em in and torque 'em down to spec. If they're not new, it's annoying but do yourself a favor and replace the seals - finding out it's a seal issue later on down the road is a real pita.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Might be late to this question but if they have new seals it's not any different from other injectors - put 'em in and torque 'em down to spec. If they're not new, it's annoying but do yourself a favor and replace the seals - finding out it's a seal issue later on down the road is a real pita.
Theyre brand new. I was thinking just a dab of oil on the seal for lube and just go in evenly. They come installed on a new fuel rail already, so I think its just push them in and make sure they go in evenly.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Everything I've read says don't remove the injectors from the fuel rail, install as a whole unit. May need 2 people to do it correctly - an injector pair per person so they will each be guided into the port at the same time. Lube the seals for sure so they don't 'roll'. Wouldn't want to see these expensive injectors get messed up! :cool:

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Oh yeah, no removal from the new rail. The seals are not o-rings, they're more squared off. Ill have mechanic help when I do it, two pairs of eyes are better than one.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Cams installed.
Nuetral balance shafts installed.
Timing set installed.
Engine in time and buttoned up.

What do guya do for vavle cover prep for powder coat? Cleaning wise.
Im having a hell of a time getting the braided breather hose off, too. Im pretty sure the new turbo uses a different style turbo to vavlve cover breather.
16871100504648150317289850788267.jpg

snirtman

What do guya do for vavle cover prep for powder coat? Cleaning wise.
Most powder coaters do their own blast/clean/prep prior to coating. They should already know, but make sure they mask off the inside of the valve cover before blasting and coating. Nothing will destroy your engine faster than blasting media.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Last edited: