Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Be careful putting that much weight with that much leverage on brass fittings. They can break over time.

I made a header from a block of aluminum that I bolted to the block on a couple of the existing bosses. Drilled a long hole from one end and drilled and tapped 3 holes into that long hole from one face. Tapped the holes for the gauge sensor, the switch and a hole to connect a turbo feed braided line from the block to the header. Only fittings needed was a metric to npt at the block and npt plug in the end of the header. The cost of the AL block, braided line, metric tap and fittings was a little cheaper than what you are proposing with brass fittings and eliminates the chance of failure. I already had the npt tap.
I’ll try to sketch it up tomorrow and post.

Ross

Goblin Guru
In my quest to add an actual oil pressure sensor I noticed I don't have the dummy light sensor anymore. Shop must have taken it out when doing machining, because I don't have it. So I bought another one. M12x1.75 threads. I thought it would be easy to put a T right there and attach my new oil pressure sensor for the gauge in the same spot. Wrong! So hard to find an adapter! Adapters to the new sensors 1/8-27 NPT are fairly easy to find, but anything to go back is difficult. Open to suggestions there if anyone else has added an oil pressure sensor.

Related, does anyone know what the question mark pictured is? I assume its something since its shiny and not corroded like the rest of the block was.

View attachment 40772
On my LSJ, those 3 are the knock sensor, oil pressure and crankshaft position sensor.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
That makes way more sense since the knock would be held in by a bolt and not threaded in. Thanks Ross

jirwin

Goblin Guru
That makes total sense. I like the subliminal messaging:

Thank you for sharing. I think I can make that work. Just need to figure out where to source a block of aluminum like that. Might just order it online since its seeming unlikely that transmission guy gets my LSD done today.

Did you do anything fancy to bleed the air out of it? Or did it just kinda naturally empty?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Bought my AL block on EBAY. Actually bought all of it on EBAY except maybe the 1/8NPT pipe nipple & plug.

Of course make sure you clean the AL block well after drilling and tapping.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Got the transmission back yesterday with the Quaife installed. Mated to the transmission and installed today. Tomorrow wiring, coolant, oil, and hopefully my first start!

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Woof. This is a little more complicated than I was hoping. I didn't label things very well, and if I remember correctly, I left some extra connectors in the harness as a "better safe than sorry" measure when I first assembled. Coming back to bite me now.

Anyway... I would appreciate some guidance on some stuff as I am confused on a few things:

1. Where do does this ground go? Its up just before the coils on the harness:

jirwin

Goblin Guru
2. Any idea what goes here? I thought it was one of the "oil pressure/temp" looking sensors like the other side of the block, but it doesn't fit.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
3. Speaking of the other side's oil pressure/temp sensors... I have two of them and I'm not sure what to put here. I believe both fit the hole. Then... I have two of them so where does the other go? It has to be in the vicinity of the drivers side of the head because the runs are pretty short, but I'm not sure.

Chris_WNC

I believe you're right. The camshaft position sensor doesn't go it that spot. It's below it. I'm pretty sure I have that ground lug from the engine harness grounded to that threaded hole there. The other hole is empty. I'll verify when I get home though.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I believe you're right. The camshaft position sensor doesn't go it that spot. It's below it. I'm pretty sure I have that ground lug from the engine harness grounded to that threaded hole there. The other hole is empty. I'll verify when I get home though.
Thank you. Appreciate it. I figured it that's where the ground went, but I wasn't sure. Here's some more pictures for reference on the size:

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Upon further inspection it seems that hole doesn't go anywhere lol. I'm thinking my other sensor is my crank position sensor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm a literal moron. Its right beneath the hole I pictured. I just couldn't see it because the coolant host was in the way