Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I ended up soaking it in my bathtub with Dawn and scrubbing out what I could by hand. The rest I lightly power washed (in 33F degree weather :() and that got about 80% of the gunk.

From there I started disassembly and reassembly. Got the stock manifold off and started with the alternator spacers and idler pully. Ran into a roadblock there because the lower bolt in ZZPs kit (all 3 alternator bolts actually) is allen keyed. I can't get an allen wrench in there, so I'll have to source the hext head equivalent tomorrow. I'll also need to figure out how to replumb the coolant line into the head when I'm done, but that shouldn't be too hard.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
@Dsteinhorst or anyone else who has supercharged a 2.2L... I'm ready to install the intake manifold... but I'm a bit worried since I don't see any way to mount the bottom hole of the intake manifold to the block. Am I missing something? Feels like a bad idea to have all that weight on just the intake manifold studs

jirwin

Goblin Guru
@Dsteinhorst or anyone else who has supercharged a 2.2L... I'm ready to install the intake manifold... but I'm a bit worried since I don't see any way to mount the bottom hole of the intake manifold to the block. Am I missing something? Feels like a bad idea to have all that weight on just the intake manifold studs
View attachment 31852
I found this bracket... which looks right.

Looks like it would fit here:

But the bolt that (almost, different thread than what I have, but roughly the right size. It starts to thread in) doesn't fit in the bracket hole. I can drill it out if needed... but I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Also, the hole on the intake manifold is way smaller than this bracket I found. I assume there's a bushing that needs to fit in there?

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That supports most of the bouncing/hanging weight on my LSJ. Is there anywhere on the 2.2 to make and mount a bracket to support that?

edit
looks like you found it.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
That supports most of the bouncing/hanging weight on my LSJ. Is there anywhere on the 2.2 to make and mount a bracket to support that?

edit
looks like you found it.
If that bracket I found is indeed the right bracket, then I can probably drill it out to fit the bolt size required to mount it there

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
So where did the new bolt come that you are trying to use with an old brace? If you are sourcing a bolt to use in the mounting bosses on the block, they are metric. But I may not be following all of you pictures correctly.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
There should be a similar bolt, from the metric bolts, removed from the donor. This one doesn't need to be a graded bolt for the support bracket. :)

jirwin

Goblin Guru
It was a random bolt I had lying around. To be fair its very close, so maybe the right thread will fit the hole too. It'll be very close. I'll be working on that tomorrow. I kinda just planned on buying a few similar sized bolts and seeing what fit

jirwin

Goblin Guru
It was metric, and it was the 10mm after all. The threads were just very corroded. I drilled out the intake support bracket and it fits great! I also pressed (via vice) some nylon spacers into the larger intake side hole so there's no play at all.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Almost done with the supercharger setup... Ran into some fun issues. I'm using the ZZP "bolt on" kit. There are some issues for the goblin. The main one being the ZZP kit expects the car to still have A/C. That was easy enough to solve. I still had my A/C pump... So I disassembled it and made it into a bolt-on idler pulley.

From there the ZZP idler pulley was too big. Just BARELY. I replaced that with one from Durolast (#231133) that's a hair smaller. Works great. Has just enough clearance.

All that's left now is intake and heat exchanger plumbing. All that is done, just needs assembly.

GETTING CLOSE

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I've been ignoring this issue, and I think its time to address it: MAF/MAP/TMAP/whatever wiring.

The stock intake manifold has an ACDelco 12591290 MAP sensor (3 pin).
The supercharger had a (broken) GM 09359409 MAP sensor (3 pin).
The intake manifold came with a Bosch 0261230042 (T?)MAP sensor (4 pin).

Now... I'm fairly certain I have to use the Bosch sensor on the intake manifold. I've seen and heard others talk about having to jump the 4th wire, what I imagine is temperature over to something else - MAF?

@Karter2026 mentions it in a couple spots:
My temp is cut out of the MAF and wired into the TMAP on the upper left of the manifold
I found this diagram of the MAF sensor pinout:

For the Bosch TMAP I couldn't find the pinout for the exact model I have, but I found something close:

So in theory, I just snip wire B off from the MAF and wire it to Pin 2 of my Bosch. Then I use a blockoff (or my GM MAP assuming it doesn't leak) to block off the port on the supercharger. This will also require sourcing a female pigtail for the Bosch TMAP to wire all this in.

Does that sound right? What do you guys think? Are there any other builds that are running a supercharged 2.2L that I can look at? I only know of @Karter2026 / @Wackstack and @Dsteinhorst .

Thoughts?

Last edited: