Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I bought mine on eBay but you can also get them here
But you probably won’t like the price. It is 3 large volumes.

I think all of the same info is available through an Aldata subscription

Dsteinhorst

I'm using my stock LAP MAP sensor in the stock LSJ spot. I'm still using the IAT built into the MAF and tuning conservatively.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm using my stock LAP MAP sensor in the stock LSJ spot. I'm still using the IAT built into the MAF and tuning conservatively.
I think the stock MAP is 1.5 bar, whereas the LSJ or other aftermarket's are 2+ bar. I think you need 2+ to accurately measure boost, but I could be wrong.

Dsteinhorst

The scaling in the ECM for the stock MAP goes to like 18.xx psi, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm following a build from 10 years ago that had no issues with a 2.9 pulley and stock MAP.

Ross

Goblin Guru
You know that scaling for the MAP includes vacuum (below 14.7 psi) and a little amount of boost (3.3 pounds)? A 2.9" pulley doesn't really make sense for that little amount of boost. Do you have a link to the build from 10 years ago?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Now you're making me double guess this. I was certain the stock MAP is fine.

Thread is here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-lap-performance-tech-168/genes-2-2-lap-supercharger-build-166563/
I skimmed that thread and it sounds like either map can be made to work, maybe. Either way you are going to have to know how to tune it. I hope you both have a strategy to do that if you are tuning it yourself. If you don’t have a strategy then you might want to dig through the HP Tuner forums to come up with one. If hiring someone to tune, ask them how they would prefer it.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I fired of am email to ZZP earlier. I live an hour or so away, so I'd like to have them tune in person, otherwise I'll be doing their remote tuning

Dsteinhorst

I keep thinking I'm going to tune it myself, but I don't have all the injector data for the Bosch 42lb green giants. I've been learning as I go, but don't have a whole ton of time to devote. I got a quote for $1400 for a tune and that seems steep. Trying to get in with another shop.

Ross

Goblin Guru
From what I understand in tuning, I would use a 2.5 bar MAP with a 2.9" pulley on the stock M62 supercharger.
Otherwise your engine won't know how much air pressure you have beyond 4 PSI boost... and your setup will probably make 15 PSI boost. You could tune the engine for fuel based on 15 PSI boost, for the last row in the MAP table (4PSI), but then the engine will be very rich at 4 PSI and slowly taper to the correct fuel at 15 PSI boost. Basically, your engine would safely run, but it wouldn't perform very well in mid boost.

Dsteinhorst

In a strictly speed density system, you would have that problem, but in a MAF system, it's reading actual airmass, so it can adjust beyond the capability of the MAP. I don't know exactly what that means for the ECU, though. And I'm sure my E37 ECU is different than the 06 ss ECU.

I haven't spent a lot of time in boost, but right now, things seem okay on mine with the stock MAP. I'm no expert though.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
In a strictly speed density system, you would have that problem, but in a MAF system, it's reading actual airmass, so it can adjust beyond the capability of the MAP. I don't know exactly what that means for the ECU, though. And I'm sure my E37 ECU is different than the 06 ss ECU.

I haven't spent a lot of time in boost, but right now, things seem okay on mine with the stock MAP. I'm no expert though.
I would think the real question is on how you are controlling boost, but it's not quite the same for a PD supercharger as with a turbo.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
ZZP:
As of right now we aren't doing just dyno tuning. we are doing it along with installs, but we are mostly remote tuning as of this moment. If you have HPTuners a remote tune would be as good as a dyno tune as well.
Kinda sucks... I was hoping to get a good tune and have a hp number to throw around. Oh well, guess I'm stuck with remote

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
ZZP:

Kinda sucks... I was hoping to get a good tune and have a hp number to throw around. Oh well, guess I'm stuck with remote
I got the same response from them over a year ago and was hoping that they would be doing in person tuning by now. Sucks... dyno tuning looks like it costs less and is a better option in my opinion. ZZP also throws on an additional $300 since its a "custom engine swap" under their remote tuning option. With all the bad things I've heard about their remote tuning process I think I'll find someone who will tune it in person.

Trail_Creeper

A reputable shop should be able to tune with HP and get you great results. I'm not bashing ZZP, but they can't be the end all be all for cobalt tuning

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Heat exchanger system plumbing and wiring complete. Only thing left is wiring the new TMAP and a tune! (And reinstalling the tunnel cap, shifter, and interior ugh)

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Well... I didn't see my belt wasn't fully on... So I ate a rib off of it on the first start. Ordered a new one, but in the meantime I figured if it breaks it breaks and just put it back on and tried again. Started up right away! 2.5 bar TMAP is working. MAF with temp from said TMAP is working. Heat exchanger system all working. Tune is a bit lean for now, but I'll get that ironed out after I get my new belt lol. Thanks again @Gtstorey for the sensor diagrams. I messed up the wiring the first time and had to reference the charts a lot.