Josh's City Goblin - 10 XFE Donor

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Took it for its first test rip yesterday! That supercharger whine is intoxicating!
jeremy-clarkson-power.gif

Rough idle, but I found out that I didn't cap what is apparently the reference for the boost gauge on the intake manifold. So I had a boost/vacuum leak. Plug that and I imagine my idle will get a little better. To try to get some of the bubbles out of the cooling system I think I'm going to try jacking the rear of the car up while it idles. I've debated trying to find a new radiator like they had in the original videos where it had a cap that you could bleed air from at the top. Hopefully just tipping it will help a bit.

Also... don't be me. Testing a newly supercharged car without the brake booster plugged in is a bad idea.

Ross

Goblin Guru
4000 RPM for 4 seconds, and your water pump will push air thru the whole radiator system, and to the overfill tank. Top up the tank, and do it again, you will have most of the air out. Then drive it, get it up to redline a few times, and one last top up, you are done. No tools, easy peasy.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Got a chance to get out and rev it a few times while my food warmed up. Hopefully that helps. I'll try a quick test drive after work. Its a lot cooler than it was yesterday (55F vs 75F) so that should at least keep it cool for more testing.

I was able to plug the boost gauge port on the manifold and it immediately fixed my rough/lean idle (duh). Hopefully that helps it run smoother overall. That means that I had a vacuum and boost leak though. I'm afraid to see what this thing feels like with a little more boost lol

jirwin

Goblin Guru
It ran great! I was able to get some good data and had a few redline pulls. Must have gotten the air out of the cooling system too since it ran much much cooler. Most importantly, the temp came back down after rising a few times, unlike before. Also picked up another couple pounds of boost.

I'm regretting putting water only in the heat exchanger loop though... I have to have my garage heater on with the thermostat set to 40+ for the next few days so it won't freeze overnight :(

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Does anyone know if this number is somewhat accurate? I saw this while looking thru my datalogs. I imagine this metric is what is used for that torque smoothing thing.

If so that means I picked up 70HP with the supercharger :D

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Remember you don't have to start the car to circulate the coolant in the heat exchanger. Pull a little water out and add some coolant and let it circulate a few minutes.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Remember you don't have to start the car to circulate the coolant in the heat exchanger. Pull a little water out and add some coolant and let it circulate a few minutes.
I have water and water wetter in there right now. I would like to keep it that way if I can because I am only running the DF heat exchanger and a fan. No duct work or giant ZZP heat exchanger.

Dsteinhorst

I don't mean to clog up your build thread, but I decided to swap to an LSJ TMAP. I'm not having issues, but it's just the right thing to do.

I dyno'd at 250 WHP with a 2.9 pulley. Curious to see what you do when you get it on a dyno.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I don't think I'll get a chance to dyno it as ZZP wouldn't dyno tune it. I'm curious though. Look at one of my above posts with the Engine torque metric. Does yours match your 250hp?

Dsteinhorst

jirwin, do you have any backfiring on deceleration, and which exhaust do you have?

I upgraded to DF's 3" exhaust prior to the supercharger install. It drones like hell, but the biggest issue is on deceleration, I get gunfire-like backfires. Not burbling, Gunfire. Are you having any issues with this?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I didn't know they had a 3" exhaust tbh. I'm running a Chinesium eBay header and DFs stock (what I assume is) 2.5" exhaust. I do get decent pops and whatnot on decel, but not "gunshot" level.