JS City Goblin - 2010 LS

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well it runs. Got everything hooked up tonight, refilled fluids and it fired right up.

The ZZP tune changed a lot it seems. The AFR at idle is higher, but doesn’t drop as much as I’d want it to under acceleration. Also the fuel pressure now runs at 70-80 instead of 50-60. I also don’t like how long the engine takes to drop back down to idle after blipping the throttle, but that was like that before.

However there’s one big issue. I’ve said before the car simply doesn’t get hot. Even at that last track session the highest temp I saw was about 190°.

Well with the turbo it shot to 220° in under 5 min. The fan kicked on and seemed to keep it from climbing any higher but I don’t like this setup.

I am running the turbo using the heater core lines. The turbo water “out” dumps right back into the engine, even though I’m almost certain that’s how the stock setup works I’ve gotta do something different.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I posted pics somewhere here of the turbo cooling line routing. If I remember right, the turbo water out runs to the top of the engine and dumps to the water neck right before it returns to the radiator.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I posted pics somewhere here of the turbo cooling line routing. If I remember right, the turbo water out runs to the top of the engine and dumps to the water neck right before it returns to the radiator.
Yes I remember your post, I just want to actually see a turbo ecotec before I start changing things.

I wasn’t measuring IAT during the test run. But was happy to find that there was almost no heat transfer between exhaust pipe and charge pipe. I could hold my hand on the charge pipe at the closest point to the exhaust and not feel any warmth. I’m sure that’ll change with longer run time but so far so good

JSATX

Goblin Guru
sure you got all the air out of the system? sounds like it could be an air pocket...
I’m not sure of anything at this point. You could be right. But I installed a tube onto the heater core line and filled the system up there, the tube was up higher than anything else so hypothetically it should be fine.

Brake bleeding and radiator lines. Two things that have always given me trouble and for the same reason!

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Turbo engines get to temp super fast, My wifes escape with the 2.0l Turbo engine is blowing hot air less than 1/2 mile down the road from starting.

Nuker-

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm curious to know what the engine temps for other turbo converted setups are. I would suspect that they would probably run a bit warmer than the base model temps.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I think it has more to do with how I ran my coolant lines. The heater core is now replaced by the turbo. Essentially hot water from the engine, instead of being cooled slightly by the heater core, is now being heavily heated by the turbo before returning to the engine. This is the problem I think.
11D45C26-6F32-43CF-BCD2-73F3CE712444.png

The Saab dumps the turbo water into the upper radiator hose via a simple inline T fitting, I think ill change it to that setup next.

canyon bolieu

Hey do you have specs on that wing looking to get somthing carbon fiber and make some solid brackets for it in the future.
Thanks

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Makes sense. I would imagine that the water coming out of the turbo outlet is hotter than your normal engine coolant. The two are mixing together and probably raising the overall temperature of the engine.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Hey do you have specs on that wing looking to get somthing carbon fiber and make some solid brackets for it in the future.
Thanks
It’s an APR Wing with 26.75” spacing if you want to use the DF uprights.

It was pricey but **** is it beautiful.

I would probably go 25” spacing and weld custom uprights to a cross brace like my intercooler if I were to do it again. The DF braces do look quite nice with the laser cutting, but require additional support

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
A little off the heating subject. But...Do you think your set up is better then the setup supplied with the SS TC kit? I'm wondering if you plan on going with the SS TC if it would be better to create your own set up instead of paying the extra for their set up?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
A little off the heating subject. But...Do you think your set up is better then the setup supplied with the SS TC kit? I'm wondering if you plan on going with the SS TC if it would be better to create your own set up instead of paying the extra for their set up?
Better? No I don’t think it’s necessarily better. It’s just what I wanted. I’m one of those masochists that will spend 10x the time and 20x the money to do something exactly the way I want it. I’d say that’s probably true with most of the crazy people building these things.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You won't have to worry about carbon build up on the intake valves that would normally be there on a direct injection engine.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
HOLY SWEET BABY JESUS.

I just was able to finally take it out post turbo. I am completely and utterly blow away (pun intended). Never did I imagine what a difference a little positive air pressure could make. Punching it in second and the tires broke loose before I even hit 3k RPM, it makes the 50shot of NOS feel like literally nothing. Granted there was absolutely no heat in my tires...but... still. I'm completely reevaluating all my plans to go to the Garrett after this. I spent so much money on the bigger setup thinking this Saab turbo would just be a test run. I have an additional $2000 in turbo parts just sitting in a box that I don't even want it any more. Without massive rear slicks what's the point?

This is the TD04 high pressure turbo which is a little bigger than the K04, plus I have that extra 200cc and higher compression ratio. Now I'm really interested to see how it compares to the stock turbo Goblin builds.

Balphamore

Just catching up with reading posts. So now what you are saying, is you have been grinning like a Cheshire cat. And laughing like Dr Frankenstein shouting It's ALIVVVVEEEEE!! As lightening and thunder peals behind you.. :)

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Just catching up with reading posts. So now what you are saying, is you have been grinning like a Cheshire cat. And laughing like Dr Frankenstein shouting It's ALIVVVVEEEEE!! As lightening and thunder peals behind you.. :)
Yeah, and that’s an understatement lol.