Jug's Goblin #420 Build! - 2009 SS/TC donor, Ext/Open Frame, San Antonio TX.

Stingray

Hello fellow Goblinista's! My name is Justin but it looks like there are a few other Justin's as well, so I'll go with my old callsign Jug. This is the first time I've ever attempted a project of this magnitude, so I apologize in advance for some of my questions and overall mechanical ignorance. I've worked on cars a little but almost none of them were more than a single day job; brake pads, shocks, alternator, oil change etc., so I am feeling extremely overwhelmed but excited at same time. I don't think I would have attempted this without the information on this forum to guide me. I'm 46, divorced, two kiddo's, pilot, retired AF, and I'm pretty sure this is my mid-life crisis project, of which I'm extremely grateful.

I purchased a 2009 4 door Cobalt SS/TC of copart with 89k miles. The car was rear ended so I thought it'd make a decent donor. It took me a few months of searching to finally find one listed within driving distance and I got it home for about $2k total. It's previous owner must have been Captain Caveman as this was the most disgusting and filthy car I have seen. I felt bad seeing the imprints of the child seats thinking about the baby or toddler being transported in a car that unsanitary.

I ordered my frame on Mar 16 and the options I went with were the open cage, full door bars, extended windscreen, hood, footwell cover, side panels, wing mounts, FX1 seats, shifter kit, rear coilovers, 5x114.3 hubs, tow bar and detachable steering wheel kit.

I had an absolute blast disassembling the Cobalt but had trouble finding a junkyard to take shell without taking my title as well. So I just sawzalled it apart and took to recycle center.

I picked up my frame from DF Headquarters in Red Oak yesterday!

Thanks again in advance for all the help!

Respectfully,
Jug

IMG_4581.jpeg
IMG_4584.jpeg
IMG_8346.jpeg
IMG_8348.jpeg
IMG_8515.jpeg
IMG_8523.jpeg
IMG_8640.jpeg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome! What bird did you fly in the AF? Thanks for your service and good to have another fellow AF vet!

Sounds like you have already made great progress with the donor teardown. And ask away with your questions, there are always fellow builders who will be able to provide answers. :D

Stingray

Jason,
I'm in San Antonio, but once it's built, will definitely want to try and meet up with you sometime at an event in Houston.

Sasqwatch,
I was mostly a KC-10 tanker and T-1A instructor guy. Those were some really great times! Definitely miss it.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Sasqwatch,
I was mostly a KC-10 tanker and T-1A instructor guy.
Welcome,

Being an Instructor you should have worked out a deal with Lonny, I believe he in the process of getting pilots license. Lessons for Parts :)?

Do you have a part# for the Sawzall Blades you used? Looks like they worked well?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Jason,
I'm in San Antonio, but once it's built, will definitely want to try and meet up with you sometime at an event in Houston.

Sasqwatch,
I was mostly a KC-10 tanker and T-1A instructor guy. Those were some really great times! Definitely miss it.
You are SOOOOOOO invited to visit our Houston gang. I can't wait to hear some of your stories!!!!!!

Stingray

Few updates. Got it powdercoated by Crosslink in San Antonio and they did an outstanding job. Riveted floor pans in by hand. Will buy a pneumatic tool next time. Rebuilt steering rack. Installed EPS. I'm rust treating and painting the pedal boxes now. I need to buy a tool to bend the brake line a bit. Mine was about a half inch too long to be attached to the back of that support. I also had to file the collapsable steering shaft hole to expand it a bit.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Jug

Attachments

Stingray

Steering column shaft install question.

Is there something I need to install or tighten in this shaft hole to keep it on? Or do the screws from that round black piece hold it on and if so is there a spacing requirement as where this shaft should fit on the steering shaft?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Stingray

Scott, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Where did you get this link and are there more? I clicked on the Second Stage photos link from the Assembly discussion and there are only about 20 pics from the orange car. Thanks again!

Stingray

Sasqwatch! Absolutely!! I hit a rough spot getting that subframe bolt installed to the engine mount. Took me about 8 hours over three days. I used one of yalls trick with the ratchet strap. I used an industrial air force cargo strap and a cheater bar to tighten it enough where I could sledge that bolt in and get it started. I tried shaving a bit of the engine mount as well and man I'm glad thats finally done. I really hope that bolt doesn't shear.

Also, I didn't know about the heat exchanger install under the radiator. Does anyone have any instructions out there?

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru

Also, I didn't know about the heat exchanger install under the radiator. Does anyone have any instructions out there?
not a whole lot to it. There’s 2 tubes that run through the tunnel. You should have 90* fittings and tubing for the little radiator itself, to attach everything. The rad fits on the lower bar, I think with self tappers. Plus wire in fan if you are using one. Here’s a pic. Don’t mind the fan connectors, that was a temporary wire job.

snirtman

Sasqwatch! Absolutely!! I hit a rough spot getting that subframe bolt installed to the engine mount. Took me about 8 hours over three days. I used one of yalls trick with the ratchet strap. I used an industrial air force cargo strap and a cheater bar to tighten it enough where I could sledge that bolt in and get it started. I tried shaving a bit of the engine mount as well and man I'm glad thats finally done. I really hope that bolt doesn't shear.

I imaging several folks will have questions/comments about using the DF heat exchanger with a TC car, but to answer your question about install instructions, here's a pic for location:

Most of us running the DF HE have had a problem with the HE causing the engine to run on for 3-6 seconds after turning the key off. The problem is when the key is turned off, the fan spins down and acts like a generator, returning power to the ECU. The solution is to wire in a diode on the power side of the HE to prevent the HE fan from returning power to the ECU to keep the engine running. I'll give you a diode if you need one.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Looking at the photos, I see brand new steering rod and tie rod ends mounted on the rear. Are these the parts you received from DF or aftermarket parts to replace damaged/rusted ones? The DF supplied parts get installed in the front, as they are a different length than the 'stock' Cobalt parts that go on the rear. Just trying to save you some build frustration if this is the case. :D

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

Are those the old style toe links on your front knuckles? They have upgraded ones they will supply for free.

HE fan and duct. All good for me last few years.

Stingray

Sasqwatch, yes thanks!, I flipped them and put the short tie end rods from DF up front and longer ones in back.

Jason, I'm not sure. I'll look into it though and see what I have.

I got Heat Exchanger in!! I found one of Tom Anderson vids that kinda showed how to do it. Does the red wire go to the blue? and the black grounded to frame? I don't want the fan to spin backwards. Thanks again.