Lark's Track Goblin No. 40 - 2008 LT ***REGISTERED***

Fozda

Goblin Guru
That's about what I did too and it is definitely a bit sketchy. What size hardware are you using?
M8. I don't love the setup but I'm hoping the bars it's up against hold it from going forward in a event that it needs to hold.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
That looks pretty much identical! I feel like I should have made mine a little longer like yours though

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
M8. I don't love the setup but I'm hoping the bars it's up against hold it from going forward in a event that it needs to hold.
That's my hope too (and the reason for the extra length). Almost identical; I added belt stays lol

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Wasn't long ago I notched my seat belt bar. A lot cheaper than a tube bender
Sometimes I wish I hadn't powder coated my frame for this exact reason. I have a notcher and welder and have some minor rollbar work on another race car but I just can't bring myself to start grinding off the powder coating.

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Sometimes I wish I hadn't powder coated my frame for this exact reason. I have a notcher and welder and have some some minor rollbar work on another race car but I just can't bring myself to start grinding off the powder coating.
I used the color matched aerosol on my temporary harness bar, and while it's not perfect (not as much pearl in it), I think it's good enough that I'd consider coping tubes and welding in a bar like Ross did.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Class hasn't started yet, but I have been informed that I won't be able to run in the afternoon lapping session because the lead instructor won't put an open wheel car on track with full fendered cars.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wasn't long ago I notched my seat belt bar. A lot cheaper than a tube bender.
View attachment 34002

Welded it in
View attachment 34003

Mounted the seatbelts
View attachment 34004
Mocked up the harness bar so far. Still needs welding, the correct bolts installed, and some final shaping/finshing. BTW, the harness bar will be closer to the B-piller uprights than is shown once the depth on the center bolt is adjusted - it won't be gapped the 1/2 inch shown in the photo.
20220629_124616.jpg

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Here's No. 40 at the head of the line for group one this morning:

And the rest of group one:

Unfortunately, I had to bail after the AM classroom and skills clinic session because I wasn't allowed to run laps. It was fun and useful, but still disappointing to have driven 2 hours to the track and getting in queue only to be told I can't run. I'm getting a refund for second half the day, but it's still a bummer.

Last edited:

TravMac

Did they end up giving you much of a reason as to why? I know some local tracks that want fenders and body work, so maybe that's what you ran into? Be curious for anyone else looking at track lessons/sessions.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Did they end up giving you much of a reason as to why? I know some local tracks that want fenders and body work, so maybe that's what you ran into? Be curious for anyone else looking at track lessons/sessions.
I got the impression that he wanted fenders, but he said that I couldn't run because it's an open wheel car. The thing is, if I were to install cycle fenders it would still be an open wheel car. Im not sure what he wanted in order to let me run, but I plan to hash it out.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I found a local guy who used to run his Ariel at Pacific Raceways and asked how he was able to get his open wheel car on track there. Turns out, he started in a full fendered car and got plenty of seat time before trying to run his open wheel car so he had an established history of safe operation and a good rapport with the staff instead of being a complete stranger. Fortunately however, he was also able to point me in the direction of an organization that would let me run after I called the owner/PNW region point of contact and specifically asked about open wheel cars after my recent experience. My Baja SAE experience also struck a chord with him since his family has a history of participation in that program as well.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Did my first autox event yesterday and while I wasn't as fast as the other participants had expected I would be, I noticed a lot of improvement on my part and had a lot of fun. My car is not set up for a really tight course like we had yesterday and I ended up placing near the middle of the pack. Still happy with the results because my goals were just to run clean and constantly improve throughout the day. I've still gotta go through the dashcam video to see if there's anything worth sharing.