Kelmark GT

RobC76

I will attempt to document the build of this new never assembled early 80’s Kelmark GT that was originally designed to go on a vw beetle chassis with a whopping 40ish horsepower. I have decided to build it using the center section of the vw pan that has optional tube floor pans already in it from 3 decades ago when my dad and I started on the car. The plan is to build dom front and back clips and run an ecotec engine with an F40 6 speed. Dad and I never got to finish the car before he passed and it’s been stored away for many years. So this one’s for him. I just ordered a goblin kit as well. I put a post over on the build logs for that.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I will attempt to document the build of this new never assembled early 80’s Kelmark GT that was originally designed to go on a vw beetle chassis with a whopping 40ish horsepower. I have decided to build it using the center section of the vw pan that has optional tube floor pans already in it from 3 decades ago when my dad and I started on the car. The plan is to build dom front and back clips and run an ecotec engine with an F40 6 speed. Dad and I never got to finish the car before he passed and it’s been stored away for many years. So this one’s for him. I just ordered a goblin kit as well. I put a post over on the build logs for that.
You may want to consult with @Dale E, as he is very savvy at putting drivetrains into vehicles that were never meant to pair up. This will be a fun engineering and fabricating exercise and the end result should be a really interesting take on a Ferrari Dino replica. :D

RobC76

Worked on the garage this weekend. Had to get YouTube and some speakers hung lol. Also added a horizontal band saw, drill press, tubing notcher and my favorite purchase a Miller multimatic 220. - tig mig combo for steel and aluminum. Trying to get ready for building the tube back half, A Arms, ect.
I will start making some progress in the next few weeks. I want to get workspace dialed in and deal with the donor for the Goblin that’s coming in 3-4 months. Thanks for following I’ll try and keep it interesting
Really struggling with settling on the engine build for the Kelmark. I just can’t decide between SC or TC. Along with all other details of the engine build.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
All depends on how you want to play it:

SC- larger aftermarket and much more modifiable
TC- higher power numbers right out of the box and a small tune will get you far.

RobC76

Worked on getting car leveled about as redneck as it gets lol. No chassis table here. Anyhow going to start enclosing back of vw pan and taking off with DOM tube to start the subframe build. Wish I had my Goblin so I could copy some stuff. Also need to figure out if I want to be able to take engine out bottom or if it will need to come out the top. I really want to do dual A Arm suspension so that may effect the sub design. Not much really to look at but here are a few pics.

Attachments

RobC76

Happy New Year 2022
I worked on the Kelmark this evening after work.
I was able to get all the optional vw sheet metal cut off the center section of frame and installed my main crossbeam to tighten up the center of chassis. I used 3x3 3/16 square tube for this.
I located many of the critical dimensions from the cobalt drive train and sub.
I roughed in a tubular subframe from
1-3/4” 090 wall DOM
Here are some pics.
Next agenda is to finish weld sub and finish braces, mounts, ect.
then on to dreaming up how to build dual a arm rear suspension.
maybe vette?
Maybe build my own?
Thanks Have a good new year

Attachments

RobC76

In regards to track width. DF has stated that it’s 59”. I’ve tried to find out what tire they used to establish this data with no luck. Does anyone know with what tire they used to calculate the 59” track width. I’m using some DF front end components for the Kelmark and need the info for setting my a arm mounting points so that the DF arms fit the Kelmark body. Thanks in advance.